Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 09-10-2006, 09:09 PM

Default Road race 73-77 Oldsmobile

My brother and I are building a car to compete in the Bullrun. We have 6 cars in the stable but have decided in one of two. A 75 Cutlass Supreme (dubbed the Extreme) and a restorod 75 Hurst/Olds.

The engines are covered, both cars have engines built to put out over 500hp, the extreme may get a twin turbo setup bringing power closer to 1000hp..but thats non issue at this point.

What I am concentrating on are the wheels, tires, brakes and aerodynamics.

I have been trying to find out as much information about the NASCAR 77 Olds that was raced years ago from a aero point of view..but have not seen anything other than some lousy pictures.

1) As far as wheels: we need the lightest and most practical wheels we can find. Since the car weighs in at about 3500lbs the wheels need to be strong. I was also thinking of using wheel disks to help with the aerodynamics, but I dont know how badly that will affect the brakes. We are looking into 17-19" rims.

2) We were going to go with run flats, but after talking to the people at Tirerack, they highly suggested that we go with a conventional high performance tires and forget the emt tires since their performance is reduced. Basically we need a tire that handles fantastically in dry and wet. They need only last about 3000 miles but at speeds exceeding 150mph for long stints.

3) I would like to upgrade the brakes to multi piston fixed caliper units. I am considering Outlaw 4000 NEXTEL Cup units, anyone else have a suggestion (we dont want to spend a fortune on calipers)? Also does any company sell adapter brackets for these GM A-body vehicles (trying to cut down on the machine shop time)?

4) My favorite part is the aerodynamics, I am undecided if a rear spoiler or proper wing would be better..or both, this car has a tendancy to lift due to its rear shape. We will be using a smooth aluminum under tray, roof mounted vortex generators, chin spoiler and rear venturis. We also plan on adding stabilizer strips on the roof and will close off the grill as much as is practical. Convex light covers are going to be made as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as to how we may want to refine any of this or add to them.

This is a huge undertaking and we need the car to be done by first week of October. All help is greatly appreciated...great site!
Old 09-12-2006, 08:09 PM

Good luck!!!! sounds like a neat project, keep us updated.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:14 AM

musclemotorsports have a lot of user nascar stuff... also try ebay, many teams sell good used wilwood and brembo stuff for reasonable prices they simply only use them 2 ro 3 races and then its of to ebay, and new stuff on the car
Old 03-12-2007, 11:26 PM

Default Bullrun

Hey guys thanks for the tips and advice. We ran the Bullrun!!

Watch me and my brother in the premier of Bullrun on Spike TV tomorrow night at 10pm. Set your VCRs, Beta max, DVDr, DVR, or whatever other setup you got if you wont be around a TV. This show will blow your mind.

Don't forget my brother and I are using his very, very rare 1975 Hurst/Olds W30, 1 of only 48 known to exist. This 700 horsepower monster in its current form its worth close to $100k and we beat the hell out of it!!! Watch us as we take on cars like Lamborghini, Lotus, and Mr. Angry's awesome 68 Dodge Charger.

Here is some more info:

www.Bullrun.com

www.Spiketv.com

www.myspace.com/xjguy

Article from the current Queens Courier: http://queenscourier.com/articles/20...uzz/news01.txt

Richard Cerqueira
Andre' Cerqueira
Team #11 Hurst/Olds

Last edited by Rich Team11 H/O; 03-12-2007 at 11:45 PM.