Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 08-30-2010, 09:28 AM

Default Hey Todd

Hope you are doing well. If I am not mistaken DSE is running a TKO and they put a cooler on it to help the shifts. I asked Kyle about it and he said when the fluid got hot it would not shift well. I believe it cured his problem. May be worth a phone call.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:06 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
I had a conversation with Brad at Liberty gear today. They will tear it apart and do all their magic to it for about $500. It's about half price if I buy the parts and do it myself. Different synchros, forks, polished shafts, etc. The real problem is it's a 6 week wait right now. I want to run at Buttonwillow on September 25th and don't want to be out of commission that long in the fall. More than likely a winter mod unless I decide to tackle the project. That or I'll just have Rodger at Ironworks cut up my baby to fit a 56 magnum.
Todd... I talked to Richard Johnson from American Powertrain at GOODGUYS this weekend.. The new version of the T-56 does not need any tunnel mods .But you have the lower sub bushing mounts correct????
Old 09-21-2010, 10:11 AM

Hey Payton, I'm doing great. How are you man? It shifts the same cold and hot.

Mario, I do have the 1/2 height body bushings. The tunnel would need surgery. It'll have to work for now, I just want to enjoy the car as much as possible. Versus working on it. I'm a twice baked potato.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

If you want a good laugh -- try driving my new 32 Ford -- T56 --- and I think the rear gears are 3:08s.... with tall tires.... LOL

6th is about 90 @ 1800 rpm

Dropped it at Steves Auto Restoration today -- we'll be doing a few "mods"....
Old 10-27-2010, 10:07 AM

A little update Todd, I put in a Pro5.0 shifter a month ago and while I really liked it I still wasnt happy, so I'm dealing with AMP performance which is dealing with Liberty gear..Im having it D-ringed and blocked...No more synchro's. He said they sound a little more noisy durings shifts but you can beat the living crap out of them..Since AMP stocks most of the parts my down time will be less then 4 weeks..Still sucks but Im tired of dealing with it and dont want a whole new trans and loose my behind on selling this one...

I am having issues with my RAM hydro bearing, the last one I put lasted me a week..so that will be another issue to address..I guess I should ask what bearing are you running?

Chuck D
Old 10-27-2010, 10:16 AM

Cool Chuck, let me know how it works out. I'm running a mechanical clutch with some type of standard throwout bearing. I think it's the original bearing that came with the Classic Chevy kit. Even with my McLeod twin disc RXT, the pedal pressure is reasonable.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:32 AM

Hmm...Jim at Hurst think's I might have better luck with a Mcloed bearing, but Im determined to use this one since its so simple...

Anyways, Ill keep you posted!

Chuck D
Old 11-01-2010, 09:17 PM

are you guys with issues running an aluminum or steel flywheel? my understanding is that the syncros may not being doing enough during the 1-2 shift. since an aluminum fly slows down much quicker, im wondering if it would help.

i tried calling liberty last week and didnt get a call back. i figure i'll wait a few more months to decide what i want to do. its hard to spend the money without ever driving it, but i dont want to pull the tranny once its together. plus, libertys prices have gone up a bunch in the past couple years and will only go up from here.
Special Thanks To: Rushforth Wheels ; Kore3 ; SC&C
Build Thread : https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...ght=widowmaker
Old 11-01-2010, 11:05 PM

I don't want anything to do with an aluminum flywheel. I'm picky but the more I talk to people the more I hear the same complaint.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:09 PM

anybody tried the newer tremec shifter? i picked one up from kiesler, and gene said he had pretty positive results so far. $43 shipped to my door. i'll either wait for the magnum tko or see what results you guys get from the liberty fix before i make my final decision.

also todd, without going through your frigging 10,001 pages, what flywheel did you end up with. and are you running the rst or the rxt?

Tim
Special Thanks To: Rushforth Wheels ; Kore3 ; SC&C
Build Thread : https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...ght=widowmaker