Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 08-19-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC5 View Post
Sieg,

I did a trial fit with eng and bell only last night. The clearance needed around the trans tunnel where the bell resides need massaging on my car as well. How much massaging did you do? I'm thinking I need to go 1" or more. The clearance you achieved looks to be far greater than initially I think I can get without pulling out my plasma cutter...

So, what is the best approach tool and technique wise to "massage" the tunnel area? BFH for starters I assume.

Regards,

Larry
Larry,

I probably moved the "high" spots close to an inch. BFH (ballpeen) smoothed radius with a file. Lot of patience and hammer blows to move and shape it without distorting the metal too much. From the inside it's hardly noticable.

Critical clearance/access points are the top two bellhousing bolts. Mine is really tight with a long extention.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:54 PM

Sieg,

I'm in with the T56 Mag using my 502 as the test mule for fitment before I drop in the 540. It appears that I have plenty of clearance after all. Did some light massaging of the trans tunnel area right below the firewall as you did but that was it for now.

It is time to deal with the various console mounting points......The shifter location on the trans is where I will most likely have interference if at all.

Again, thanks for the pics and input.

Larry
Old 08-20-2011, 05:42 PM

Congrats!

The right side bolts on the shifter plate (6 bolts) and inspection cover (4 bolts) are all high on mine, bowed the right side of the tunnel top at the inspection cover and I'm making a removable tunnel plate for the shifter opening.

Last edited by Sieg; 08-20-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:14 AM

Larry,

Here's the tunnel cover I rought out last night:

Old 08-28-2011, 08:53 AM

Sieg,

Looking very good! I'm about to start on one myself. Are you considering making removable in the event you need to service the shifter?

Larry
Old 08-28-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC5 View Post
Sieg,

Looking very good! I'm about to start on one myself. Are you considering making removable in the event you need to service the shifter?

Larry
Current plan is to make studs out of panhead allen bolts, grind the heads flatter and tack them to the tunnel or a plate that gets tacked to the tunnel. For the console center mount I'll tack a similar stud on the tunnel cover and use a rubber spacer to set the height. The tunnel will be covered with Dynamat Extreme, I may double layer the tunnel where the cover flange contacts, that will add a little clearance and insure a good seal.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

We just finished the install of the T56 Mag in my 69. I run half inch high body mounts in the car. Brett had to massage the tunnel in mine to get it to fit.

I will be curious to see if that Black Jack shifter works ok for you. Mine did not work well--was nearly impossible to get into reverse with it and it leaked fluid right through the shifter hole. We finally switched back to the shifter that came with the trans, and what a world of difference. No leaks and much, much easier to shift the car with original setup. It's very disapointing however, as the throw on the Black Jack was shorter. Please let me know how yours works out---maybe I just received a bad one. Will be calling Hurst Driveline Converstions this week to see what next step is with it. Has anyone else experienced same with this shifter?

Doug
Old 10-03-2011, 02:31 PM

I am in the process of having my Magnum installed right now. It has been in the shop for almost 3 months bc we keep having issues with the flywheel and having a vibration in the engine (yet put original back on and no vibration). We are on our 3rd flywheel now and hopefully Ill hear from them today or tomorrow. They didnt say they had any issues with the blackjack shifter though... Ill make sure and keep an eye out for an issue there though.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFRESH View Post
We just finished the install of the T56 Mag in my 69. I run half inch high body mounts in the car. Brett had to massage the tunnel in mine to get it to fit.

I will be curious to see if that Black Jack shifter works ok for you. Mine did not work well--was nearly impossible to get into reverse with it and it leaked fluid right through the shifter hole. We finally switched back to the shifter that came with the trans, and what a world of difference. No leaks and much, much easier to shift the car with original setup. It's very disapointing however, as the throw on the Black Jack was shorter. Please let me know how yours works out---maybe I just received a bad one. Will be calling Hurst Driveline Converstions this week to see what next step is with it. Has anyone else experienced same with this shifter?

Doug
Doug,

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. The T56 is a pressurized case and if you look at the stock Tremec shifter they have a sealed rubber boot around the shift handle stem. Supposedly Hurst Drivelines has this info in their instructions though I never saw it. I cut the boot out of the stock shifter and installed it in the Black Jack per their suggestions. Kind of Mickey Mouse on their part. They need to supply a boot that seals the stem properly IMO. Thankfully I have the removable tunnel cover so I can access the shifter to modify or replace in the future without dropping the tranny. If Hurst DL's chooses to address their flaw.

Here's the shifter with console in place

I ended up removing 1" from the bottom of the plastic tunnel and have no clearance or shifting issues.

and with the shift boot I sewed up since I couldn't find a rubber boot that I liked.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:12 PM

Sieg/Matt

How in the end did T56 trans workout for you two? I had to stop at mock-up due to a heavy work schedule.

Curious how the transmissions are performing on the road. You both were quite ahead of me....

Larry