Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 02-06-2013, 10:42 PM

Cris,

The third member you got from Jays black car was Moser, not Strange. The Strange unit is an S-trac. Moser is who sells the wavetrack.

On a side note, there is a 35 spline tru-trac available now but im excited to see what you have done and hopefully will have available in the future.

Jason
Old 02-06-2013, 10:57 PM

Beat the ever living snot out of a Moser 12 bolt 33 spline true trac with not a single problem. Around 30 events and 7k street miles. Ran plain old valvoline dino oil with no oil cooler. Loved it...
Old 02-07-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris@JCG View Post
I currently made a statement on a thread of Wave Trac vs. Tru Trac & stated that we broke a WaveTrac.. I usually keep away from making statements like this because I do not want to get involved in issues we have with aftermarket products.. Basically we find solutions to problems & move on & learn from our experiences.. So people would like for us to share that knowledge.. but I just don’t want to get involved in opinions on which product is good & which bad .. Because in reality everybody has a different opinion.. I try to keep my opinions to myself.. I consult privately with some of the people here on the board & manufactures.. I keep that information between us.. & when somebody calls me & wants to discuss their problems I try to help as much as I can with the knowledge I have acquired..

So.. Here we go! When Blu Balz was first shown @ SEMA it had a very low ride height & I was determined to keep it there! But the first think that Mary Pozzi said when she jumped in the seat of the car.. YOU are going to have to raise it! I kept quiet said to myself “HELL NO” but I had to budge.. The DSE suspension is designed to work @ a certain ride height.. I had to raise the car!

I will break it down on how we started & where we are now…

Moser 3rd member with Tru-Trac 31 spline & Gear Motive gears bought from DSE
Here is where I was losing gears & started experiencing piston knock back, Rebuilt with Richmond gears but still howled, oil would come out with metal shaving(tiny), tore down rear end & noticed that on one side of the axle the seal was being eaten up, Moser axle back up ring to retain bearing was not set right, Raised car & still on DSE stock suspension for rear, No issues with Tru Trac. Never contacted DSE & dealt with issues myself because was always in hurry to get the car back on the track plus in order to do any warranty I would have to remove 3rd member & send it back for evaluation.. Car sitting for 3 to 4 weeks was not acceptable.. Only time Tru Trac would light up inside tire was when the Sway bars were disconnected to get the car to rotate on tight Auto-X

Strange 3rd member with Wave Trac 35 spline, Aluminum Case & Motive gear bought from The GMR
Due to piston knock back on rear caliper.. decision to upgrade to a floater, Contacted GMR & upgraded to listed items above, Jason & Jay took care of this conversion in two weeks for me, helped with the install & even were with me on test drives for break in process of gears… few days later ring & pinion started howling, contacted Jay @ GMR.. Basically had to remove the unit send it back to them so that they could send it back to Strange.. I could not tear it apart due to warranty ..Did not like that.. I tore it apart changed gears.. this time with US Gears.. broke the gears in & all was good.. Went to a event.. Auto-X good but then got on the road course & gears started howling.. At this time we had re-valve the shock & were running 850 springs in the front with 600 on the rears.. Wave Trac was working good.. Car was really high on the rear.. That is what it took to get rear suspension to work good.. Had issues with gears plus other things were happening with car.. Brought car back to CA

C&R 3rd member with Wave Trac 35 spline & Motive gear with REM process, gear driven oil pump for cooler, Setrab cooler
Got the car back & contacted Kyle @ DSE.. Told him all the issues.. he told me about the new 3rd member they were using on the Mustang & researched what the C&R units were all about.. Ordered one! When we pulled the whole rear out to rebuild & clean we made the decision to change the location of the pannard bar.. We wanted a lower roll center plus wanted the car to set lower… Got all modification done .. Took the car out to for a test & tune.. on the first couple of passes all was good then we heard A loud noise.. Something broke on the rear.. We would launch the car in a straight line.. only one tire was gripping… took the car back the shop Made a phone call to Karl.. We were suppose to leave to Motorstate & deliver the car.. Karl wanted to go racing.. Called DSE.. I would have to remove 3rd member & send it back for warranty.. Again no time for that.. Kyle was very apologetic & so was C&R.. I said no problem.. Stuff happens.. but I need to do something here pretty quick… The Wave Trac broke.. I never followed up on why it broke.. DSE warranted it.. sitting on the shelf but it has a place for another car we are building.. I had them take out the Wave Trac & put a Tru Trac in it…

Strange 3rd member with OS Giken unit, C&R Motive gear with REM process, external oil pump(This is the Strange unit I bought from The GMR)
This unit was working great when we left for Motorstate but still felt we might be spinning up the inside tire..What happen here was that when we changed the rear roll center & front sway bar.. The car starting getting great corner bite on the Auto-X & finally got the car to rotate on tight turns but with one change it impacts another.. Mike Maier’s kept just telling me .. “PUT A LOCKER ON IT”.. Karl did not want all the clanking noise of a locker… But one good thing came out of it.. We stopped losing ring & pinion! The REM gears & oil cooler cured that problem.. I keep those gear in stock now! But now we had the issue of spinning the inside tire… Karl was driving the car @ Motorstate & it was a uncomfortable feeling because it would pitch the car to one side.. lose traction & the RPM would shoot up.. Karl managed to finish the event.. but we the car was still not right.. So the car came back to CA… Back in CA we kept playing with the suspension settings & OS Giken unit.. Got it close to working but Casey came up with a idea.. Since we had a bunch of Unit sitting around.. lets test something.. I had a Traction Lok on the shelf!

Moser 3rd member housing rebuilt with Traction Lok re-worked by JCG, C&R Motive gear with REM process, external oil cooler pump
This is where we are now.. This set up has worked great for us on the Auto-X & road course.. Karl drove the car @ RTTC last Oct. & the outcome was great for him & me .. Finally found a combination that works in all aspects for the car.. Requires maintance.. we have to constantly check break away on the clutches in the unit but small price to pay for performance we were seeking… What we did to the Trac Lok? Well that is a old trick Auto Crossers have done for long time.. Casey was the one who came up with the idea..

Conclusion- I lay no blame on any vendor.. I am very impatient when it comes to issues on components.. I want quick results & if I need to take matter into my hands.. I will do so! My methods of doing things might not appeal to all but assume responsibility when I take matter into my own hands..

If I had to do it all over again.. I would be using a 12 bolt Chevy or Mustang 8.8 .. They have great clutch type posi unit systems.. Very tunable! This is only my opinion..

Also .. We are racing! Stuff breaks..
wow, I agree, stih breaks. So 4 pigs broke....I assume the same housing?

Thanks for taking the time. I was just curious.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 02-07-2013, 01:23 PM

Maybe I just got lucky but I have a fair amount of confidence in the 31 spline tru trac.

I didn't run it on a road course but did several dragstrip runs/etc. No issues ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fGQiIlyHTM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm_A-Zl5d6k
Old 02-07-2013, 06:25 PM

Sorry.. You are right on that one.. I have some many units lying around I can get them confused..

We both have an investment in 9" Ford housing.. So I can suggest the Strange 12 bolt drop out center section...

It is hard for me to explain in detail.. but for Auto-Xing with a car with low roll center i recommend a Clutch type unit.. It will also work great on the road coarse.. but HP can be a limiting factor..

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMR View Post
Cris,

The third member you got from Jays black car was Moser, not Strange. The Strange unit is an S-trac. Moser is who sells the wavetrack.

On a side note, there is a 35 spline tru-trac available now but im excited to see what you have done and hopefully will have available in the future.

Jason
And now the Camaro, trailer, & all your tools have been sold.. & your prancing around in a little red Corvette!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Beat the ever living snot out of a Moser 12 bolt 33 spline true trac with not a single problem. Around 30 events and 7k street miles. Ran plain old valvoline dino oil with no oil cooler. Loved it...
great to hear that! I am in no way saying that a Tru Trac Or Wave Trac don't work... They just didn't for my application... What blew my mind & pissed me off the most was the ring & pinions howling.. Sometimes I felt like I had a cursed rear-end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTMD8 View Post
Maybe I just got lucky but I have a fair amount of confidence in the 31 spline tru trac.

I didn't run it on a road course but did several dragstrip runs/etc. No issues ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fGQiIlyHTM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm_A-Zl5d6k

Last edited by Cris@JCG; 02-07-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris@JCG View Post
What blew my mind & pissed me off the most was the ring & pinions howling.. Sometimes I felt like I had a cursed rear-end!
Yeah I would say that mine had a -tiny- amount of noise only noticeable if you were really listening for it.

What I try to do now is use (even if used) OEM ring and pinion gears. I've had much better luck with a factory GM 12 bolt gear or factory ford 9in gear over anything else.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:43 PM

I'm curious if anyone has any new feedback for this topic - Truetrac vs the Wavetrac. I'm at the point where I'm swapping from a 10 bolt to a 9" rear and don't know what locker to use. My car is 3500lbs with only ~500 hp at the crank but will most likely move to the 600 range in the future. I'm thinking the Truetrack is plenty for but wanted to be sure I'm not missing anything

I did find this video while searching that was interesting to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZmsY2YvVsc

Steve
Old 04-12-2013, 01:30 PM

Steve,

I do have the TruTrac in my car, but it will be a little while before we can actually drive it. Once I do, maybe you can get a feel for what it's like locally if you want.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:55 PM

Good to know. A drive to check it out would be awesome.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:38 PM

Do you guys use posi then for the track or is there something better for street/track use .. I have posi in my 12 bolt now with 3.90 gears just wanted to get some input on what's best so i can make changes when all the stuff is out of the car