Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 11-23-2012, 10:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in SoCal View Post
BS is 6.75 if I remember correctly. Last time I saw the car it made lock to lock on the ground and fit the outer just fine. Nothing from pics can be deteremined in my mind. Cole - let's take a ride out there, mount the fenders/remove the springs get a 'real' measurement.
6.75" ahhh, you might be right. They were your's... LoL

Road trip..
Old 11-27-2012, 01:07 PM

Default Truturn and 10" wheel

I don't see how anyone is running a 10" wheel and 275 tire on the front of a '69 Camaro unless they are not driving the car or living with a high ride height. Earlier this year I installed the complete front Ridetech suspension with Truturn and tested for clearance with my existing rear 18x10 w/5 3/4" BS and 275 tire. With approx 3" drop (23.5" fender to ground), and anywhere close to full lock, there was extreme rubbing at the top, squarish portion of the fender. I could not see how I could use this combination without severe modification of fender and fenderwell. I went with a 18x9 wheel 5 3/4 BS and 275 tire and that works OK and the tire just rubs the back of the frame at full lock. I would have liked getting the car a little lower but the kit already decreases turning radius by at least 10% so it's not feasible to go with a lot more backspacing. After I got the front aligned, I went back and checked this again and saw no improvement in clearance.

A friend just building his 69 also went with the Truturn and wanted a 1/2 lower height so after testing with my 18x9 combination he went with the 18x9 and 6 1/4 BS and 265 tire. He won't have his on the road for 6 months or so.

Gary
Old 11-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

That's good, real world feedback Gary. Pretty much what Cole and I spoke about last night - 9" wheel, 5.75 to 5.9 BS. We need to get out there and measure...

Old 11-27-2012, 09:04 PM

Unless that tru turn set up widens your track width 6.75 will definitely rub frame rail. I'm running 5.5 back space with a 275 and I rub lock to lock. Not bad enough to be a concern.

Cole, didn't know you were a friend of Ron's. Cover shipping and I'll give you the spacers.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymac69 View Post
I don't see how anyone is running a 10" wheel and 275 tire on the front of a '69 Camaro unless they are not driving the car or living with a high ride height. Earlier this year I installed the complete front Ridetech suspension with Truturn and tested for clearance with my existing rear 18x10 w/5 3/4" BS and 275 tire. With approx 3" drop (23.5" fender to ground), and anywhere close to full lock, there was extreme rubbing at the top, squarish portion of the fender. I could not see how I could use this combination without severe modification of fender and fenderwell. I went with a 18x9 wheel 5 3/4 BS and 275 tire and that works OK and the tire just rubs the back of the frame at full lock. I would have liked getting the car a little lower but the kit already decreases turning radius by at least 10% so it's not feasible to go with a lot more backspacing. After I got the front aligned, I went back and checked this again and saw no improvement in clearance.

A friend just building his 69 also went with the Truturn and wanted a 1/2 lower height so after testing with my 18x9 combination he went with the 18x9 and 6 1/4 BS and 265 tire. He won't have his on the road for 6 months or so.

Gary
Gary,
More negative camber in lieu of less treadwear life would have likely got you there. As the old saying goes, you can't bake your cake and eat it too. Unless you hire a fabricator.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymac69 View Post
I don't see how anyone is running a 10" wheel and 275 tire on the front of a '69 Camaro unless they are not driving the car or living with a high ride height.
Gary
Todds right. My fronts are 17x9.5 with 275's. I had to cut inner fender wells and slightly flare fenders. Also running 1.5 neg camber in this pic.

Last edited by Track Junky; 11-27-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:51 PM
Supporting Vendor

An 18x10 wheel with a 5.75" backspace and a 275-35/18 tire will fit with [as our website and catalog indicates] a minimal amount of inner/outer fender modification on the 67 and 68 Camaro. The 69 is similar but I have not personally sttod next to one to bless the fitment yet, although we've had several customers report good fitment.
The definition of "minimal" is subjective, but my definition is modifications that can be done by most hotrodders with average experience, with commonly available hand tools in an evening . I understand that still may not clear it up but I don't know how to define it further.
Having said all that, we installed a set of 18x9.5 wheels with that same 275 tire on our 68 Camaro and didn't trim anything all all. No clearance issues except if you drop it in a hole while turned full lock.

The other variable here is ride height. I don't have the fender/ground measurement in front of me [but I'll get it], but it could be that you have selected a ride height that is lower than what we selected. No shame in that at all, but it will change the tire clearance and must be accommodated.

Also...we can't account for any variation of component combination someone might be running, no matter how good it sounds on paper. If you substitute control arms, spindles, steering arms...the tire clearance might be changed...just no way to verify all the various combinations.
Air Ride Technologies, Inc.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:51 PM

In short, looks like you'll be needing 1" spacers. Make sure the spacers you get will be hubcentric. Its important to have a lip for the wheel to bare its weight on rather than having the lugs alone bare the weight. Dont think I need to mention you will need longer wheel studs.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
I received this picture and I am a bit concerned.

Ridetech upper/lower, spindles, tru-turn, Forgeline 18x10 w/ 6.1 back spacing(Right Ron?)

What are your thoughts?
To be honest Cole, I don't think you will have an issue with the suspension fully loaded. This is just from your picture.

If it was a concern what I would do is add a bit of material to the LCA turn stops.Looking at the tire position that is way more than you would turn to do a u turn or pull a decent parallel park job.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 11-30-2012, 09:26 AM

Scrub radius may be a very important part of this equation if your not following the specs to the T.