Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Brakes
User Name
Password

Old 07-13-2018, 01:06 PM

Default 2 piece rotors

Another brake question for the brake experts.... I am running C6 Z06 calipers all the way around on my next build, 2nd gen Camaro w/DSE suspension front and rear. Looking to upgrade the rotors to two piece design. Car will see some auto-cross, but mostly street driving. Any recommendations for these...Willwood, Bear, other??
Old 07-13-2018, 11:57 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

It sounds like supply of C6Z calipers is really short, do you have them already? I would consider going with a Baer caliper and 2 piece rotor. I’ve been extremely happy with their products, made in the USA and they’re always available.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:35 PM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

If you're worried about ROTORS cracking etc being used on track / autoX on the car ---

Look at Wilwood SPEC 37 Rotors.

I've switched out my race cars to this far harder rotor and use a slightly softer pad.... the combo is AWESOME! I can just replace pads now instead of pads AND rotors....

Be careful to understand the thickness of the rotors - and what your caliper/pad combo will accept.

If you're really in to wanting some GREAT BRAKES --- look into some StopTechs. And if you're not a brake guy ---- ping Ron Sutton or one of the other actual brake experts around here. I personally wouldn't put Baer on my bicycle..... me nor my buddies have ever been able to make them stop well --- and you think they stop well -- until you've driven something that REALLY stops well.

I'm chuckling at this because it's actually happened to me more than once or twice.

Last edited by GregWeld; 07-15-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:31 PM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

I thought for clarity --- and just because it's "the internet" -- and people say all kinds of stuff...

I've owned many many brake systems - I'm not an expert - I use experts to guide my decisions based on math and fact (heat etc).

I can say "this works better than this..." ONLY because I've owned em all - used 'em all - worked and problem solved on some. Some don't need problem solving -- I like those brands better....

For street cars -- I like E brakes that work. I like brakes that don't require you to build heat before they work....

For race cars -- I like rotors that don't crack... and pads that don't fade.

For doing BOTH with one system --- that needs some engineering and knowledge about pad temp ranges -- and a rotor that can do both etc. I've learned this the hard way --- trying to just impart some "thought process". We tend to just buy "big" and figure it's all good..... and it's funny -- because unlike needing to always make more power etc..... we tend to accept our brakes as "fine" -- unless it's glaringly obvious they suck ----- yet once you've driven some cars with "well engineered" systems -- it's a real OH WOW!! I HAD NO IDEA!!

I've jumped in buddies cars --- and liked to have called the police on them for having ever driven such crap! They thought that's just the way they were... LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to GregWeld For This Useful Post:
KSBRKTRACER (07-16-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKnight View Post
It sounds like supply of C6Z calipers is really short, do you have them already? I would consider going with a Baer caliper and 2 piece rotor. I’ve been extremely happy with their products, made in the USA and they’re always available.
My buddy works at a GM dealership..... I got all four calipers at a steal....could not pass it up.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
If you're worried about ROTORS cracking etc being used on track / autoX on the car ---

Look at Wilwood SPEC 37 Rotors.

I've switched out my race cars to this far harder rotor and use a slightly softer pad.... the combo is AWESOME! I can just replace pads now instead of pads AND rotors....

Be careful to understand the thickness of the rotors - and what your caliper/pad combo will accept.

If you're really in to wanting some GREAT BRAKES --- look into some StopTechs. And if you're not a brake guy ---- ping Ron Sutton or one of the other actual brake experts around here. I personally wouldn't put Baer on my bicycle..... me nor my buddies have ever been able to make them stop well --- and you think they stop well -- until you've driven something that REALLY stops well.
Thanks Greg for the input..... I bought all four Z06 calipers super cheap....I'm building the car for mostly street driving, but would like to try out some auto cross. I thought the two piece rotors might be a better choice over OEM (real heavy). I'll check out the Wilwood rotors as you recommended....I'm running Wilwoods on my 69 and they stop on a dime.
The Following User Says Thank You to DKz Garage For This Useful Post:
GregWeld (07-15-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 01:47 PM

Another option is dba 5000 series 2-piece rotors.

http://www.dbausa.com

I have their 4000 series base C6 rotors on my Firebird.

Personally, for your application (mostly street), I'd stay with single piece rotors for cost reason.