Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 02-02-2012, 06:13 PM

Default Pedal Geometry - 69 Camaro T56 w/DSE MC Bracket -Use OEM Pedals w/Mods or Aftermarket

I'm getting ready to set up my clutch master cylinder and it looks like I'm going to use the DSE bracket, as I've already got the GM style Clutch Master Cylinder and throwout bearing set up for mt T56.

I'd like to use the stock brake and clutch pedals, then add aftermarket pedal covers. However I've seen several posts that the stock pedal geometry isn't the greatest, especially when the placement of the accelerator pedal is considered. I've seen a few custom set up's, one in particular is a MOMO pedal that replaces the Lokar gas pedal. Makes it wider and easier to heel-toe.

I've seen posts and the diagram from Street & Performance where there is a metal tab that you weld on the stock/OEM clutch pedal arm if I'm going to modify and use an OEM clutch pedal.

So I guess to restate the question?????

Is there an advantage to forgetting about the OEM pedals and going with all aftermarket pedal assemblies for all three pedals over modified OEM style pedals (pedal covers for brake and clutch) and adjustable gas aftermarket pedals (Lokar, Billet Specialties, EMS)? If you are suggesting aftermarket replacements for OEM what brand, and what is the benefit??

And is there a good reason to weld on the DES bracet to the firewall? Or just fabricate a gasket and RTV the heck out of it? I'm able to box in the bottom part of the bracket with sheet metal if necessary too close up the opening. I know I have to make the firewall opening bigger anyway, I'd just like to know if there are any concerns with leaks or air flow into the cabin.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETON8R View Post
I've seen posts and the diagram from Street & Performance where there is a metal tab that you weld on the stock/OEM clutch pedal arm if I'm going to modify and use an OEM clutch pedal.
Do you have a link to this diagram you could post?
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
"Jeremy Clarkson"
Old 02-07-2012, 06:38 PM

Default That diagram is wrong.

When you use the DSE bracket, the modified GM master will line up with the stock hole on the 69 pedal.

You can weld it on the firewall and box in the lower section for a better seal. If not, there will be an air gap where the master goes through the firewall.

If you will look to the left and click on Modo Inovations, you will see the gas pedal and matching pedal covers. I am not running a drive by wire so I used the Lokar gas pedal with the Modo pedal. I will see if I can dig up some pictures for you.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
Do you have a link to this diagram you could post?
Check out this at Street and Performance.

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/Streetstori...ls1camaro1.htm

Toward the bottom of the page there are two diagrams, one for a pedal bracket and another for a bracket for the clutch pedal.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payton King View Post
When you use the DSE bracket, the modified GM master will line up with the stock hole on the 69 pedal.

You can weld it on the firewall and box in the lower section for a better seal. If not, there will be an air gap where the master goes through the firewall.

If you will look to the left and click on Modo Inovations, you will see the gas pedal and matching pedal covers. I am not running a drive by wire so I used the Lokar gas pedal with the Modo pedal. I will see if I can dig up some pictures for you.
Thanks for the info, any pics would me much appreciated!!!

So you are running the MODO gas pedal? Do you like how it works for your set up?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:27 AM

Default That diagram is incorrect for 69 Camaro

that you posted above

Here are the pics of my Modo pedal covers
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2012, 05:19 PM

Default Thanks for the photo!!

Payton,
Pedals look nice. I prefer function and feel over "BLING" and shine and those look like they are all business!! Do they grip pretty good? From a grip perspective, how do they compare to the OEM rubber pedal covers?

Regarding the pictures from the Street & Performance web site, that pedal modification is required if you are using the fabricated bracket that is described next to it. That is why I'm using the DSE bracket.
Old 02-02-2024, 11:18 AM

Smile Need help

The link with no longer works, and I’m trying to determine how to modify the clutch pedal
Old 02-03-2024, 09:27 AM

If using any aftermarket bracket there are clear instructions on whether or not pedal modification is necessary. McLeod makes a nice kit that includes bracket, master, reservoir, AN line and a new pedal with correct geometry. With that being said for my build I wanted the pedals to be perfectly aligned mostly for esthetics but also for easier toe/heal shifting/braking.

Take a look at my build post #9. I basically cut the pad off and rewelded in correct position. I also used ZL1 Camaro pedal covers. They were cheap and looks in my opinion just as good as new pedal assemblies for a fraction of the price.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...d-0-Fab-Skills
The Following User Says Thank You to joeko23 For This Useful Post:
camcojb (02-03-2024)