Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 07-14-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS7 Z/28 View Post
Have you had any time to work on this one lately?
I have. I'll put some pics together and update here shortly.

Thanks

www.CJDAUTOMOTIVE.com

"I own a Mopar, so I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't actually fit without modification."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJD Automotive For This Useful Post:
Chevelle (08-04-2020), DBasher (07-15-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 06:29 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Looking forward to seeing updates.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:33 PM

Excellent build. Wild ride and story, but glad it's behind you. Can't wait to see more progress on the car. I'm currently building my 69 Falcon (may start a build thread) and am anxious to hear your thoughts on the offset three link.

EDIT: I never and do not intend to run a decoupled three link. Just offset. My curiosity comes from recent protest from a friend when I mentioned the offset 3 link, in which he referenced the Mustang 3 link and PHB, where the 3rd link is centered, saying "Ford did that for a reason". Ford also made offset 3 links for a while...my Granada 9" housing has offset 3 link brackets on it, for instance. I also know Mike Mayer believes in them. Just curious if folks around here have come to any different conclusions there yet.

Last edited by bradfords_garage; 10-22-2020 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:27 PM

I built mine offset and ran a dirt mod with the offset also. Full-size fords from the 60s to the 80s also ran offset top links. I'm a fan!
Old 10-28-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoman View Post
I built mine offset and ran a dirt mod with the offset also. Full-size fords from the 60s to the 80s also ran offset top links. I'm a fan!
Thanks for the response, egoman. Good to know.

Brad
The Following User Says Thank You to bradfords_garage For This Useful Post:
egoman (10-28-2020)
Old 12-01-2022, 04:36 PM

Is there a finish thread on this build? I followed this years ago on a different forum then just found this one today! that goes up until 2020. Would love to see the final product and details.
Old 12-01-2022, 04:50 PM

Yeah this was always one of my favorite builds ! Love to get an update.
The Following User Says Thank You to preston For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (12-06-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 01:52 PM

I've had a few cars get in front of it, but still working on it. I'll put together some progress pics and get the thread up to date...soon-ish!

www.CJDAUTOMOTIVE.com

"I own a Mopar, so I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't actually fit without modification."
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CJD Automotive For This Useful Post:
73Cuda (12-05-2022), camcojb (12-02-2022), egoman (12-04-2022), fleetus macmullitz (12-03-2022), Roscoe03 (12-05-2022), syborg tt (12-06-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 11:47 AM

So a few people have ask, so I guess I'll dig through some pics and see if I can get this thread a little more up to date.

Last update was the headers. They are finish welded, and happy to say removable with the engine in place. They do allow access to plugs and flange bolts. To complete those, I added EGT and O2 bungs to each primary:

If you're wondering why have both EGT and O2? The O2's will be used during initial tuning to trim cylinder-to-cylinder fuel balance. They won't live very long pre turbo due to the heat. Once the cylinder trim is complete and all individual cylinders are at lambda, the O2's are removed and capped. The EGT temp will then become the baseline threshold for each cylinder at lambda.

All O2 sensors are pressure compensated, meaning they are designed to provide accurate data at roughly atmospheric, give or take a few psi. As back pressure in the header increases (with a turbo), the pressure will skew the O2 data and that has to be compensated for. There are a couple of ways to do this, start with an ECM capable of pressure data conversion, a stand alone O2 controller that does the conversion internally and busses the massage to your ECM, or the ability to write your own maths table in the ECU and have the O2 data. Having the pressure offset data for each make and model O2 is critical, so you have to see which O2 each method supports.
The ECM I am using does this internally, so all I have to do is provide back pressure data.
I just need to feed 800 degree gas to a pressure sensor!
I used a stainless NPT bung and attached a 3' stainless tube to allow the gas to cool off enough that the sensor wouldn't melt.

Because this pressure tap is in the collector, pre turbo, it sees the individual cylinder pulses, and without some way to smooth these out, the pressure data will look very spiky. At the end of each tube is a pressure spike diffusing can with the pressure sensor on the other end. Basically where the pressure can equalize before being read as data and sent. And as a bonus, a little more heat dissipation. These little guys have stainless mesh inside.

Alright, enough of all that!

With the headers built, I wanted a way to support the turbos, keeping the weight of them off the headers. I hung the turbos off a wire to find the balance point. It just happened to be where the exhaust turbine attaches to the center section. I removed two retainers and made a pattern for a stainless bracket:

I then attached a support bar from the chassis with a high temp rod end for the turbo to "hang" from:

With the turbo's in position, headers where they were, time to connect them all together. The collectors I'm using are double slips, so i decided to use double slips anywhere I needed to exhaust to be able to expand without cracking.

This pipe connects the header to the turbo, with the waste gate outlet. I added gussets to the waste gate flange and V-band flanges on the end to prevent cracking as long as possible:

On to the down pipes and waste gates. I'm running electric waste gates controlled by my ECM. I HATE the sound of straight pipe waste gates, so wanted to incorporate them back into the down pipes so they went through the muffler.

You can see a double slip on the waste gate discharge and down pipe:

Tough getting in tight spaces!

Washers for O2 bungs:

www.CJDAUTOMOTIVE.com

Last edited by CJD Automotive; 05-09-2023 at 03:49 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CJD Automotive For This Useful Post:
camcojb (12-06-2022), DBasher (12-06-2022), syborg tt (12-06-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 11:52 AM

Crazy how long it takes make a post with pics. Let me finish up some things in the shop and then I'll post up the rest of the exhaust, move into the inside and then cover the engine/cooling/intercooler setup in the next post later today.

www.CJDAUTOMOTIVE.com

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJD Automotive For This Useful Post:
130fe (12-06-2022), syborg tt (12-06-2022)