Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 06-26-2020, 10:27 AM

Default chevy a-body ridetech alignment

Hello fellas, I have a 72 chevy chevelle and till a full ridetech coil over suspension on the car. Im having issues getting the alignment right, either from the frame sagging, or the shop just plain not wanting to do the work. Not sure which so Im here to ask for advice.

I have the upper arms installed with the offset to the inside, so the .375" is the side touching the frame and the caster slugs facing the engine like the instructions state. I also have the centered slugs installed as that is what came with the kit, and I had to start somewhere. There are also zero shims installed on either side currently. I took the car in to get aligned and the shop told me it was as good as it can get since there are no shims to take out to adjust anything, the only adjustment they did was toe.

I gave them the ridetech street specs to aim for -.5 camber, +3 to +5 degree caster and 1/16" to 1/8" Toe

Camber is driver side -1 degree and passenger -1.9 degree
Caster is driver side .9 degree and passenger 0 degree
Toe is driver .27 degree and passenger is .18 degree
cross camber is .9
cross caster is .9
total toe is .44 degrees

Im not a suspension wizard but I would thing they could of got it alot closer with some shims, but what caster slugs should I use to get me closer to what is needed. I daily drive about 5000 miles a year and do about 13 or so auto-x events a year. What do you guys think? I have found another shop that seems like they would do a better job and put forth a bit more effort.

96 Corvette
91 V8 S10
88 Olds Cutlass
Old 06-26-2020, 06:53 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

The UCA shafts are offset. If you flip them so the slugs go to the outside of the car, you will decrease camber and create room for shims for alignment.
Check with Ridetech for offset slugs, they vary in offset, and are reversible, so you can use them to add or subtract caster.

Last edited by Tinker; 06-26-2020 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:25 PM

Very interesting, I thought if I flipped them it would pull the top ball joint in towards the center of the car and I would gain more - camber. I have the .375" side on right now, if I flip it will then be the .532" side attached.

Does raising the car with the coilovers change anything? I have them set at zero preload like the instructions say. I like where the ride height is at, but if I had to raise the car a slight bit I wouldn't totally be against that.

96 Corvette
91 V8 S10
88 Olds Cutlass
Old 06-27-2020, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermonte View Post
Very interesting, I thought if I flipped them it would pull the top ball joint in towards the center of the car and I would gain more - camber. I have the .375" side on right now, if I flip it will then be the .532" side attached.

Does raising the car with the coilovers change anything? I have them set at zero preload like the instructions say. I like where the ride height is at, but if I had to raise the car a slight bit I wouldn't totally be against that.
The .375 side is the side the slugs are in, so the slugs would be facing the wheel, not the engine.
Raising (or lowering) the car will change camber settings, caster settings, and if any bumpsteer is in the system, the toe setting will also change.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:15 PM

Try to think of the ballpoint position...to get more caster you want the upper BJ to move toward rear of the car. You can do this with offset slugs or stacking shims on rear upper bolt (this will increase camber also).

0 caster is strange, are you sure you have correct placement off upper arms and crossshafts?
Old 06-27-2020, 05:55 PM

As it sits right now

drivers side with the slugs facing the engine

passenger side with the slugs facing the engine

Im fairly certain I have the arms on the correct sides, the ball joints are more towards the front of the car then back like the instructions shown. Other then swapping left and right sides there is really no wrong way to put them on wrong with this type of set up. Two bolts with the slugs in and hook up the ball joints.

96 Corvette
91 V8 S10
88 Olds Cutlass

Last edited by silvermonte; 06-27-2020 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:00 PM

It seems pictures do not link the same from photo bucket as they used to pre-photobucket scandal. Ill work on trying to figure out how to make the pictures work without clicking the link. Got it figured out, its not the best way but it works I guess.

96 Corvette
91 V8 S10
88 Olds Cutlass

Last edited by silvermonte; 06-27-2020 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:03 PM

If the cross shaft was rotated front to rear, rear to front, but still facing the same way ?taking it out of arm and glipping it) would that move the upper arm back?

It all looks right but something is strange for sure.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:15 PM

Do you think it would be assembled backwards from ridetech? Before I put the arms are I measured the shafts and if I remember correctly there is no front to back on them, only inside and out. They come pre-assembled.

I was doing reading that the A-body frames can sag alot over the rears, and I doubt this one was taken care of. When I put the front sway bar on it didnt fit worth a damn and had to drill holes in the frame where I prolly shouldnt of.

Any guesses as to which slugs ill need for get my alignment closer? Im going to call ridetech on monday and see what ones they suggest and I will order both sets and ill be covered, they are only $5 a slug so no big deal really.

96 Corvette
91 V8 S10
88 Olds Cutlass
Old 06-27-2020, 10:55 PM

I would say the most offset slugs possible. To change 4 degrees of caster might take over 5/8" movement of the upper arm. You will need to flip the shafts and stack more shims on the rear to help this, at least on the passenger side