Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 01-15-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_SS View Post
For the runners here.... some interesting information...

http://lewrockwell.com/mercola/mercola253.html
Tony, we finally agree. This logic makes alot of sense to me. It's like pretty much anything in life, you can overdo it.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:13 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Tony, I'm not disputing that saturated fat in moderation is good for you. You can feel great and be on the road to bad future health. People smoke and feel great, they eat fast food and feel great, they drink to much and feel great...... I'd like to see your cholesterol levels living by your ideals?

I can't agree with you that it's better for you than olive oil or Omega 3 fish oil. These fats increase good cholesterol and decrease bad.

I prefer to take my information from studies vs. one doctors opinion. That's why I like the nutrition book I reference written by a Harvard professor. It's based on long term studies.
Todd, a lot of the establishment academia and long term 'studies' are heavily influenced by the food processing industry.

If you don't want to buy the book I linked, please read the intro pages free on Amazon.

I agree olive oil is outstanding and so is Omega 3, but there's more to it. Store bought fish isn't complete, as are store bought eggs, etc. They're simply over processed for profits. Not bad for you, but not near as good and they can be.

As for my cholesterol, I don't know and I'm not worried about it really. The brain is 77% cholesterol. Your body needs it and actually produces it. The body is an amazing machine.. it will self balance your pH, but if you put junk in, it has to work overtime to do that, and a constant break down and regeneration of cells is not a good thing. I try to eat clean as possible and let my body do the rest.

What did you think of that wheat video? As they say... were not in Kansas anymore.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 AM

Default Question for the knowlegable

Realizing that I am asking for opinions here not facts.. May I ask a question.
Last year over the course of 10 months give or take I lost 100 pounds...
By simply eating better foods and exercising more.. Pretty strait forward approach.. (i can share the details for those interested.. but this was not a "diet" or a method.. just strait forward put in good stuff.. and have an calorie deficit at the end of each day/week.

Now here is the question... How the heck can the body.. put on 50/60 % of that in a month? This is what happened to me as I took off for a month due to a torn calf and the holidays... Holy hell I cant believe how fast i packed it on...

Is thier somthing up with the way my body works?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Todd, a lot of the establishment academia and long term 'studies' are heavily influenced by the food processing industry.

If you don't want to buy the book I linked, please read the intro pages free on Amazon.

I agree olive oil is outstanding and so is Omega 3, but there's more to it. Store bought fish isn't complete, as are store bought eggs, etc. They're simply over processed for profits. Not bad for you, but not near as good and they can be.

As for my cholesterol, I don't know and I'm not worried about it really. The brain is 77% cholesterol. Your body needs it and actually produces it. The body is an amazing machine.. it will self balance your pH, but if you put junk in, it has to work overtime to do that, and a constant break down and regeneration of cells is not a good thing. I try to eat clean as possible and let my body do the rest.

What did you think of that wheat video? As they say... were not in Kansas anymore.
To be honest, it just doesn't make sense to me. It goes back to my previous post about balance. Your diet needs it as well. For instance, did you know that to much calcium has been linked to prostate cancer?

I eat steak, butter, and milk products, in moderation.

I'm not sure what to think about the wheat video. I have trouble believing one doctors opinion. There are to many motivating factors to go against the grain so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLexusTech View Post
By simply eating better foods and exercising more.. Pretty strait forward approach.. (i can share the details for those interested.. but this was not a "diet" or a method.. just strait forward put in good stuff.. and have an calorie deficit at the end of each day/week.

Now here is the question... How the heck can the body.. put on 50/60 % of that in a month? This is what happened to me as I took off for a month due to a torn calf and the holidays... Holy hell I cant believe how fast i packed it on...

Your habits changed. Did you change your calorie intake? Packing on 50-60 lbs in one month is hard to believe. You must have a snail pace metabolism. I'd get to the doctor and have a full blood profile done including your Thyroid.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:

Your habits changed. Did you change your calorie intake? Packing on 50-60 lbs in one month is hard to believe. You must have a snail pace metabolism. I'd get to the doctor and have a full blood profile done including your Thyroid.
Yes.. i went from running /20 + miles a week and eating 2400-2800 calories of whole foods spread accross 5 meals to running 0 miles drinking LOTS of beer and eating crap..

My wife actually suggested the same regarding the Thyroid because she also cannot make heads or tails of a rapid gain like that... for me its what I have experienced my whole life so it doesn't seem weird..

I expected 20 maybe 30... but I am tipping 270 from 219 (orig weight 350)
Old 01-16-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
To be honest, it just doesn't make sense to me. It goes back to my previous post about balance. Your diet needs it as well. For instance, did you know that to much calcium has been linked to prostate cancer?

I eat steak, butter, and milk products, in moderation.

I'm not sure what to think about the wheat video. I have trouble believing one doctors opinion. There are to many motivating factors to go against the grain so to speak.
But you'll believe one teacher from Harvard? I would do the research. That guy is right. Wheat is a huge industry, its not wheat anymore, it's GMO and its more like an addictive drug now. Why not? It's about profit with the industries.

2yrs ago I went on a heavy wheat/fiber diet.. I was crapping blood. I don't eat shredded wheat and anything 'high fiber'. My fiber now comes from fruit and vegetables.

Store milk isn't that good for you, and actually it grosses me out since I've been drinking raw milk. I don't like the idea of my milk being boiled and killed, all the good enzymes are eliminated. Plus, milk from a factory cow pumped with vacinees and antibiotics is not good for you. And store butter is made from that...

Read that book into... the pieces all come together and it makes perfect sense. Humanity didn't always have these high rates of heart disease and cancer... this is all a result of toxic food and a bad diet (pro whole grain, low fat) that's pushed by the establishment.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Yes.. i went from running /20 + miles a week and eating 2400-2800 calories of whole foods spread accross 5 meals to running 0 miles drinking LOTS of beer and eating crap..

My wife actually suggested the same regarding the Thyroid because she also cannot make heads or tails of a rapid gain like that... for me its what I have experienced my whole life so it doesn't seem weird..

I expected 20 maybe 30... but I am tipping 270 from 219 (orig weight 350)
You proved you could lose the weight with good habits so it may just be that your calorie intake is way to high. If you were eating 2800 calories on a diet, what are you eating and drinking now? 5000?

Do yourself a favor and find some middle ground. Running 20 miles a week for most is just unrealistic. You did exactly what I've been talking about in this thread from day one, you were on an excercise program that is unrealistc and that means you'll never stick with it.

Start tracking your diet through myfitness pal or an old fashioned notebook and get back to excercising 3-4 days a week for a half hour only.

I'd still get a full blood work analysis including thyroid, B and D vitamins.

Quote:
But you'll believe one teacher from Harvard? I would do the research. That guy is right. Wheat is a huge industry, its not wheat anymore, it's GMO and its more like an addictive drug now. Why not? It's about profit with the industries.

2yrs ago I went on a heavy wheat/fiber diet.. I was crapping blood. I don't eat shredded wheat and anything 'high fiber'. My fiber now comes from fruit and vegetables.

Store milk isn't that good for you, and actually it grosses me out since I've been drinking raw milk. I don't like the idea of my milk being boiled and killed, all the good enzymes are eliminated. Plus, milk from a factory cow pumped with vacinees and antibiotics is not good for you. And store butter is made from that...

Read that book into... the pieces all come together and it makes perfect sense. Humanity didn't always have these high rates of heart disease and cancer... this is all a result of toxic food and a bad diet (pro whole grain, low fat) that's pushed by the establishment.
I did read some of her book online and she makes some great points. I completely agree with her ideals on a low fat diet. Fat in foods doesn't make you gain weight and is essential for you cells and countless other functions. Now, I'm not going to start eating red meat 7 days a week and having butter on my toast all the time, or drinking whole milk with breakfast everyday. I prefer to eat these things in moderation and get healthy fats from nuts, avocados, Pacific Wild Salmon, and olive oil.

Where you source your food is also crucial. It's a dirty world out there and most food companies care about one thing, $. That's why I'm continually studying ingredients and labels.

The bottom line is that it's mans hands that has done the most damage. Engineering processed foods to sit on a shelf for 5 years with every additive known to man. High fructose corn syrup which has contributed to obesity. Trans fats that are in most fried food and products like margerine and crisco are horrible! They raise cholesterol sky high and that's one of the reasons I'm not sold on your book.

I personally live by Jack Lalanne's ideals. He lived to be 97 years old and was full of piss and vinegar. That's a track record! Lot's of fruits and vegetables(unlimited), whole nuts, Wild Ocean Fish(Salmon, Tuna, others) low fat or non fat cottage cheese/Greek Yogurt, whole grains, mostly lean meats, and limited red meats. Good foods make it easy to read the labels. If it's processed, I avoid it at all costs. For instance, my peanut butter. (Peanuts, Water) It's really the foundation and the basics of nutrition that has never and will never change. It's like most things in life, people make it to damn complicated.

I prefer a balanced diet over a diet high in saturated fat. She could be right, she could be wrong. I'll live by Jack's advice.

Last edited by Vegas69; 01-16-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:

Its almost impossible to have that much weight gain that rapid by just letting your eating habits slip over a month. i suspect you might not be monitering your weight and caloric intake and might have the time frame of the weight gain wrong? For me food was an addiction so to this day i still log my weight daily along with EVERYTHING i eat and its calories and protein just so i dont slip up and i can catch any unwanted gains. Usually you see rapid weight gain in a crash diet because your metabolism will slow down so when you start eating poorly the body turns the calories into fat. If you feel like these do not apply to you i would consult a physician to make sure everything checks out. I have lost 70lbs since last january so i can relate to what you did,went from 290 to 217.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
I did read some of her book online and she makes some great points. I completely agree with her ideals on a low fat diet. Fat in foods doesn't make you gain weight and is essential for you cells and countless other functions. Now, I'm not going to start eating red meat 7 days a week and having butter on my toast all the time, or drinking whole milk with breakfast everyday. I prefer to eat these things in moderation and get healthy fats from nuts, avocados, Pacific Wild Salmon, and olive oil.

Where you source your food is also crucial. It's a dirty world out there and most food companies care about one thing, $. That's why I'm continually studying ingredients and labels.

The bottom line is that it's mans hands that has done the most damage. Engineering processed foods to sit on a shelf for 5 years with every additive known to man. High fructose corn syrup which has contributed to obesity. Trans fats that are in most fried food and products like margerine and crisco are horrible! They raise cholesterol sky high and that's one of the reasons I'm not sold on your book.

I personally live by Jack Lalanne's ideals. He lived to be 97 years old and was full of piss and vinegar. That's a track record! Lot's of fruits and vegetables(unlimited), whole nuts, Wild Ocean Fish(Salmon, Tuna, others) low fat or non fat cottage cheese/Greek Yogurt, whole grains, mostly lean meats, and limited red meats. Good foods make it easy to read the labels. If it's processed, I avoid it at all costs. For instance, my peanut butter. (Peanuts, Water) It's really the foundation and the basics of nutrition that has never and will never change. It's like most things in life, people make it to damn complicated.

I prefer a balanced diet over a diet high in saturated fat. She could be right, she could be wrong. I'll live by Jack's advice.
Sounds like we agree more than we disagree... however, its not that margarine raises cholesterol, its that is basically destroys your cells leading to heart disease. It's no coincidence that rise is margarine/crisco products correlates with a rise in heart disease. And what does the establishment blame? Butter! They are either ignorant or flat out lying to everyone.

And yes it really is very simple. Our ancestors were very healthy, their diet was raw milk, butter, animal fats, fruits and vegetables. It's on since our modern western processed diet has our health gone to crap.

I would try it though! Add on the butter, eat those eggs. Dont hold back.. if you gain wait, then come back and tell me I'm wrong. To this date.. I've been doing it and have lost 5lbs! That's because processed grains and sugar and not in my diet.

Last edited by Tony_SS; 01-17-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:20 AM

Tony, margerine can be full of trans fats due to the hydrogenation that turns the vegetable oil into a solid. It changes the molecules. That's how trans fats are made. My Harvard book said the same thing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margarine

I'm not worried about the weight gain. I struggle keeping the weight on at this point. Now at over 6 months of consistency in my diet and excercise, my metabolism is off the charts. My pallet has changed. I grew up in Iowa so naturally, the midwestern diet was in my blood. Today, I really prefer Salmon and a really good salad(7-10 veggies) over a steak and baked potato. Polish dinner off with a papaya and some blueberries.

That being said, I still crave a hamburger or steak. With my B12 deficiency, it's important for a balanced diet anyway. Since B12 is stored for 2-5 years in the liver, I can't blame my recent nutrition since I've always ate plenty of red meat.