Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Safety Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 03-26-2019, 09:41 PM

I am getting ready to install the Safecraft LT 10# pull system in my 69 Firebird and was wondering if they mentioned where to place the heads in the engine compartment? I was thinking about placing 1 on each side over the headers since I have fuel on the passenger side and oil cooler and Accusump lines on the driver's side (LS3).
Old 03-27-2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdvm View Post
I am getting ready to install the Safecraft LT 10# pull system in my 69 Firebird and was wondering if they mentioned where to place the heads in the engine compartment? I was thinking about placing 1 on each side over the headers since I have fuel on the passenger side and oil cooler and Accusump lines on the driver's side (LS3).
Pretty much where my 2 engine bay nozzles are placed over my LS3.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 03-27-2019, 08:07 AM

The thought I have running around in my head is: should I place 2 nozzles in the engine bay and one near the fuel pump (since these are the most likely areas for a fire to happen; or do I get an extra nozzle and splice it into the line going to the fuel tank area and place it near my feet?
Old 03-27-2019, 09:23 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I believe the manufactures will shy away from suggesting locations for liability reasons.
I'm going to place both an automatic head and a manual head on the firewall near the top and mostly centered. For the automatic head, higher is better of course because heat rises which should provide for the fastest trip of that head. I like the redundancy of the automatic system and the extra cost was minimal - for sure it's real purpose is for a situation that the driver is unable to set off the system.
From what I've seen in demo videos and from talking to 3 of the more prominent manufactures, the volume of retardant from a 10 lb bottle is more than enough for the engine bay, cab and fuel tank for "most fires" even with just a single head in each location. After good advice for others here, I will just let the 10lb bottle take care of the engine bay and fuel tank and add a separate 5lb system for the cab with 2 nozzles in the dash and one behind driver.

Again, I'm no expert and fortunately have never had a fire so please, the above is just my humble approach trying to combine others experience with manufactures words while stirring in some common sense and build logistics.

Thoughts?

My Build Thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=53320
Old 03-27-2019, 11:40 AM

My 10 lb AFFF system has 4 nozzles... I'm running 2 in the engine bay and 2 aimed at me near the lower torso area.
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 03-27-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdvm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
My 10 lb AFFF system has 4 nozzles... I'm running 2 in the engine bay and 2 aimed at me near the lower torso area.
Nothing in the fuel cell area?
Old 03-27-2019, 05:16 PM

Different schools of thought on this topic.... you'll definitely find a variety of solutions.

If I had 6 nozzles I would definitely put 1 in the fuel tank/cell area. But since I have only 4 we decided none in the rear. I think I saw Greg mention that these systems are intended to give time to exit the car, not necessarily put out a big fire. With the distance and firewall to the rear, we decided to focus the nozzles up front.

That said, I do plan on putting nozzles over the cell on the Camaro when we get there.
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 03-27-2019, 08:33 PM

My 10# system came with 3 nozzles. I am planning on 2 in the engine bay and one in front of the gas tank. I figure...those are the most likely places for a fire. I could run a 4th split off of the line going to the fuel tank to give coverage in my footwell area (if it is ok to add another nozzle to my system). Sorry of I high-jacked the thread, but I have my first track day in my project Firebird in 5 weeks!