Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 03-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Supporting Member

Default New Project 68 Camaro LS2,Chassisworks,Fikse,yadda yadda..

Before I go into any details about my car and post pics, I want to start out this post by thanking everyone who helped inspire this build. These include but arent limited to:
The guys who started and run Lateral-G and Protouring.com. The wealth of information shared on these sights is a tool anyone building a performance car will want and need. Its priceless, being able to pick the brains of the best of the best. And getting the sponsors on forums, wow. Cant beat that.
Guys like Frank at Prodigy, the guys at Fesler, "Rockdogz" aka Tom, Anvil Auto, C-Ray at Alston Chassiworks, Kolby Enger at Turnkeyenginesupply, Rob07002 here at Lateral g, the guys at Detroit Speed, Jim Fiske, all these guys and more give so much needed information and supply us with the best of the best and do so with an obvious love for what they do. Just look at how many posts Frank at Prodigy Customs has, over 2500!!!!
And I really have to thank Nick Demos over at Corpo Collision, the guys that took on this as a resto and it grew to a huge street machine project. The enthusiasm for what we're creating is awesome, and the work, topnotch. And my wife for putting up with all the time and money burned making this car happen!

So, WTF am I building? Started out with a steaming turd I bought about 10 yrs ago, a black 68 Camaro coupe with a vinyl top and with a 210 HP 327 and a powerglide. Paint was all spidered and it had manual drum brakes all around, but the interior was nice, so I thought it was restorable. I didnt know squat, except for the fact that I wanted a Camaro, preferably 69 because I was born in that year, but on an impulse I ended up with the 68. Stripped it down and had it media blasted, and did the unthinkable, handed it over to Maaco for a cheap paint job and some rust repair. Left it that way for 5 yrs, swapped in a 383 and a TH350 and lowered the gears from 3:07 to 3:73. Then I got cute and had some guy my brother know add 76 Trans Am disks all around and then we put in lowered springs front and rear and put in solid mounts. The brakes were horrible and the car was a bigger rattle box than ever before, and now the tires rubbed constantly. So I ditched the car in a garage for 4 yrs, got married and had two kids and rebuilt our duplex loft in downtown Chicago from the studs in, and still made enough trading to tackle restoring my old heap. And in the meantime, guys like Detroit Speed and Alston and Art Morrison and Wilwood took off from where Gulstand and Hotchkis and Global West started out, and gave all of us a reason to breath life into these beautiful old cars other than concourse restorations. Gave her to Corpo Collision in Schaumburg, Illinois with a referral from a friend who restored cars but was too busy back in October of last year. Was just going to put in a front clip and get the metal restored and painted. They had a 57 Bel Air with an Art Morrison full frame about halfway done, and my imagination took off. The head guy there, Nick, has been helping me since, doing as much research and helping me handpick EVERYTHING down to billet washers. And yes, Im bleeding out. I should have got some sponsors. This is anything but cheap. About two weeks away from paint and a month and a half from getting her on the road after 4 1/2yrs.

Turnkeyenginesupply LS2 w 520 hp and 500 ft lbs trq w polished front runner and carbon fiber intake.
Chris Alston Chassisworks Street Machine subframe w tubular arms,power rack,coilovers w varishocks,13"Wilwood G street Black Dynapro setup 4 piston,billet LS mounts.
Chris Alston Chassisworks G bar 4 link rear suspension, subframe connectors, and Wilwwod Black Dynalite 13" setup 4 piston.
Fikse Profil 5 18x8 f 18x9,5 r, 245/45zr18, 275/40zr18 Michelin Pilot PS2
Hydratech Hydroboost, Wilwood Master Cylinder
Ricks stainless LS tank and Walbro 255gph pump
Ron Davis LS Radiator, w dual fans
Moser 12 bolt rear,solid axle,aluminum cover,373 gears
Tremec TKO 600, Blackjack shifter
DSE closeout, wiper motor,RS headlight kit,shift knob,Optima trunk mount
Painless 18 circuit 1st gen camaro kit
Anvil Auto carbon fiber front spoiler
Modo Innovations pedals and trunk popper
Fesler billet hood and trunk hinges,door jamb vents,strikers, and washers for engine bay
2006 GTO front and rear seats , removed from 3,000k mile car
Marquez doors,trunk lid, and package tray
Isotta Katiena wheel on a Flaming River stainless tilt collumn
Twist Machines billet adjustable 8" shifter (not sure if this is staying)
Ridetech 67/68 billet gas locking gas cap and vent
Vintage Air Gen IV

Always loved the look of first gen z28 stripes, going PPG black w white stripes on all brand new metal (except trunk lid and roof and firewall). Love the look of all blacked out cars, but also love the classic look of the stripes. Didnt want to tub it out, figured 275's were big enough, but it looks like everyones doing it now, so maybe I screwed up. Wife and I love the look of no front bumper, but if I park it once on the street here in Chicago, some chump will use his bumpers on my sheet metal while parallel parking. Life in the big city. Heres some pics of the project, and if any of you have any advice, comments, or criticism, Ill truly appreciate any and all of it, after all you guys are the pros. Plan on taking a few driving courses and trying out some autocross' ASAP, and just plain old cruising in it with my wife and kids. Midlife crisis calmed for now. BTW big influence on this car was Rockdogz 68 Camaro, Bad Penny, Steve Lenning's 69 Camaro,anything from Steilow, Fesler, Prodigy, Ring Brothers, and also Amy and Tom Craigs Z28.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Supporting Member

Whoops, BTW my name is Rob. Havent named the car yet.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Supporting Member

Also forgot to add that all of us are either freakin nuts or love these old cars a helluva lot, considering that we're dropping enough coin on em to buy a brand new Aston Martin! Without the headaches of building it from scratch!!
Old 03-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Welcome Rob, looks to be a killer project you have there. Please keep us posted with lots of pics.
Project pics of my '69
Camaro Performers Magazine Feature
Old 03-16-2009, 04:25 PM

Thumbs up

Welcome Rob.
Looks like a killer project. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:38 PM

Welcome aboard Rob, this is a great site with a lot of very good info and talent. Sounds like you have a great project going there. Glad to hear my 69was part of the inspiration behind your project. Keep the pictures coming and it will be sooo worth it when you're driving it
69 Camaro SS396/350hp
64 Chevelle - patiently waiting
2014 Z28 Ashen Gray
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/White stripes (wife's car)
2015 SS (the 4 door one) Wife's other car
Old 03-16-2009, 05:52 PM

Looks like a bad ass 68!
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 03-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Supporting Member

This is exactly what Im talking about, you guys rock! Each and every question Ive ever asked has always come back with a slew of answers or advice. Thanks for the confidence boost guys. Hope I do ya proud!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:04 PM

Nice Project! Keep the pictures coming!
1968 Camaro: DSE tubs and sub frame connectors, Chassisworks G-Link rear suspension, Speedtech upper and lower control arms, Chicane front coilover conversion with QA1's, Baer brakes, 18" Forgeline SO3's, Vintage Air, 6.0L LS 417 rwhp, 4L65E, Moser 12 Bolt w/3.73's....
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2391864

Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=19253
Old 03-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Supporting Member

Cool project Rob! In the one pic you had the outer wheel well out - was that only for repair? Keep up the great work! That's flattering to think that my car had some bearing on your direction!

camarorestoration.com