Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 09-18-2005, 04:44 PM

The "tool" is a Taurus .357 Magnum revolver loaded with snake shot. It throws a 18"-24" shot pattern at five paces and wont go through walls.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAZR1
Being a decent long range rifleman,I would like to see a photo of that target.
An 8" group at the range with that style action and that caliber would be world record shooting.
I shoot an AMAC 5100 .50BMG w/NightForce optics. This is a nice field weapon that is capable of 6"-7" groups at 1,000 yards,if I do my part. Ammo used is either A-Max or Thunderbird Match,,nothing exotic,though. The world record for a production gun at 1,000 yards is a 3"+ group that was shot with a Barrett M99 .50BMG rifle.
my AR is anything but production. i got it from a local gun guy who does comp shooting..for painting his harley... it actually uses a bushmaster reciever, lothar-walther 19" barrel(unsure of twist), a barska 10-40-50ir scope... dunno what else is "done" to it.

i have no idea what the ammo is... he sold me 1000 rounds of what he said were comp loads.... told me not to waste them

i exagerated a lil on the accuracy.... but it is WAY under a 8" group. the exact specs for the day were: no wind, 11 am facing west, 1310' alt, 91* ambient temp... the actual range is 765yds.... just over 3/8 mile.... the group size is 2-2 1/2" (about 2 qtrs)

btw... my "buddy" who just got out of the USMC is a sniper, the 2 of us shoot about dead even weapon for weapon. i used to be decent, but after his "training" i have become a lot better and more consistant.

i would love a 50bmg... but untill my gun guy builds another bike and needs it painted..... i dont forsee kickin down the cash to own one.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by race-rodz
my AR is anything but production. i got it from a local gun guy who does comp shooting..for painting his harley... it actually uses a bushmaster reciever, lothar-walther 19" barrel(unsure of twist), a barska 10-40-50ir scope... dunno what else is "done" to it.

i have no idea what the ammo is... he sold me 1000 rounds of what he said were comp loads.... told me not to waste them

i exagerated a lil on the accuracy.... but it is WAY under a 8" group. the exact specs for the day were: no wind, 11 am facing west, 1310' alt, 91* ambient temp... the actual range is 765yds.... just over 3/8 mile.... the group size is 2-2 1/2" (about 2 qtrs)

btw... my "buddy" who just got out of the USMC is a sniper, the 2 of us shoot about dead even weapon for weapon. i used to be decent, but after his "training" i have become a lot better and more consistant.

i would love a 50bmg... but untill my gun guy builds another bike and needs it painted..... i dont forsee kickin down the cash to own one.

With that kinda velocity though the round will pass through the theif, the wall, the fridge, another wall, your dog, your daughters left thigh and finally come to rest smack in the center of your plasma screen TV.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:49 PM

well i wouldnt ever plan on shooting a wouldbe theif with any of my assault rifles..... kinda hard to prove your life was in danger over about 10 feet away.

i actually have hydrashocks in my baby eagles for that very reason. they go in...tear up everything...but dont come out. i have heard you can shoot an undamaged car winsheild with them from 20' and a hydrashock round wont go through.... havent tryed it...so i cant say for sure.

i used my AK to shoot an old SBC block with "made in russia" fmj "hunting" ammo.... from 50 yds.... it was like watching a pipe bomb go off.

most my weapons are completly worthless unless i get into comp shooting.... or anarchy overthrows the government
Old 09-19-2005, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn True
With that kinda velocity though the round will pass through the theif, the wall, the fridge, another wall, your dog, your daughters left thigh and finally come to rest smack in the center of your plasma screen TV.
A .223 round wouldn't do all that but a .50BMG round would be worse than the above scenario. However,it's irrelevant to me because shooting my big gun in the city would be totally irresponsible. In a SHTF scenario,all bets are off. With the .50BMG,if I can see it,I can hit it.
For home defense,I have a Star PD .45ACP handgun and either a Remington 870 or 1100. Both the latter are riot shotguns loaded with #6 or #7 shot for less penetration potential. I normally keep a mag of Glaser Safety Slugs in the .45ACP and another mag of Silvertips and Ball nearby.
I also own a few assault rifles and subguns for domestic unrest.