Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 11-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post
And then his memory becomes a stronger bond.
I thank the good Lord i was born into this great country everyday and stories like this NEVER get old for me.
I have three kids in college right now, while i've never served, i've made it a point to make sure my three have a deep understanding of what freedom is and what it cost.
I love that quote "all gave some and some gave all"
X2.

Very well said Mike, and I like how you have made sure your children know about how many have made the ultimate sacrifice for this country aka 'other people'.

Skip
Old 11-05-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compos mentis View Post
Long story semi short, my mothers' brother was based in the UK as well and could have come home, but he elected to stay in the US Army Air Corp.

So while flying extra missions his bomber was shot down over Germany in July 1944.

His body never made it back home. A military gravestone wasn't placed in a local cemetery until 2001. That memorial service was powerful and is still very fresh in my mind as people traveled from afar to be there including my uncle's former fiancee who kept in touch with our family all these years.

My youngest son bears his hero great-uncle's first and last name as his first and middle names. He played taps along with another of my sons at the memorial service.

We the nephews spoke for our parents during the eulogy. None of us could make it through without great difficulty. As my mom says, her brother was the glue that held her family together, but then he was gone...

So for me it's easier to look at a few pics of WW II planes in the air than to relive more of it seeing and hearing from the survivors. I am very happy for them of course and for their families who received them back, but for me it hits too close to home.
That is a amazing story, thank you for sharing.

Combat pilots have brass balls period. That war produced greatest generation of warfighters and Americans this country has ever seen.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:40 AM

I just saw this...John Simon is my Uncle.

Back row, left to right... • John Simon, pilot • John Dzanaj, co-pilot • Colin Barkell, navigator • Thomas Rice, bombardier Front row, left to right... • John Whitmore, engineer • Elmer Colt, radio operator • Garnett Saint, nose gunner • Norman Wintermeyer, armorer • Charles Tyson, tail gunner • Joe Corley, waist gunner

Simon Crew R-03 Summary While training in Colorado, one of the original crewmen on this crew, Bob Lambert, was killed in a plane crash. We learned this information as it was written on the back of the crew photo owned by the Elmer Colt family. We don't know what Bob's position was, his rank, nor who replaced him. The Simon replacement crew arrived at North Pickenham in May. After some in-house training they were assigned to the 857th BS on 25 May 44 to fill the squadron's vacancy as Crew 716. At this time we're not sure which crew, if any, they replaced since there wasn't any original crew designated as Crew 716. By our count, Lt Simon took his crew through 19 missions plus an aborted one with the 492nd. We don't know if any substitutions were made on any of the missions... which was common during the war as sometimes the men would get sick or wounded. We are led to believe that shortly after arriving to North Pickenham, Lt Rice was reassigned to the Testa Crew 704, a lead crew, to serve as their Pilotage Navigator. Furthermore we believe the crew didn't have a regular bombardier as most of their missions were of carpet bombing types and on such missions when they did need one, one was furnished to them from the bombardier's pool. When the Group was disbanded on 10 Aug 44, Lt Drilling, originally with the Foster Crew R-20, transferred with this crew to the 446th BG as their bombardier. This crew survived some of the toughest air battles fought by the 492nd. But their luck didn't hold out with the 446th. On 25 Aug 44, they were shot down. 4 KIA, 6 POW, MACR 8473.

Skip
Old 11-08-2013, 02:46 AM

• 1944 • World War II • the Air War over Europe • After 89 days of combat service the 492nd Bomb Group was disbanded ...or more like wiped out.

This website is dedicated to being a free online museum and memorial to the men who served with the ill-fated 492nd Bomb Group during its 89 days at North Pickenham. We collect stories of the men, their planes and their missions and present it all here. Our goal is to provide a place for each man so that his family can come visit and remember their own personal hero.

http://www.492ndbombgroup.com/cgi-bi...i?page=492home

Skip
Old 11-08-2013, 02:55 AM

It's an amazing website these patriots have put together...I am grateful.

Bomb Group Aircraft There were 73 original and 45 replacement aircraft in the 492nd. Those are the ones that we consider to be "492nd Bomb Group Aircraft." Other aircraft did come through North Pickenham Airfield, but were transferred away before seeing any action with the 492nd. All the aircraft in the 492nd were B-24 Liberators, all models either B-24H or B-24J. The B-24 has been overshadowed by the B-17, which has consistently been touted by media and authors as the only bomber that did anything in WWII. US Bomber Production in WWII B-24 (H) Liberator 18,256 B-17 (H) Flying Fortress 12,692 B-25 (M) Mitchell 9,816 A-20 (L) Havoc 7,385 B-26 (M) Marauder 5,157 B-29 (VH) Superfortress 3,970 A-26 (L) Invader 2,449 * *Part of 9,831 Douglas bombers of similar design built •The production ratio of B-17s to B-24s was 17:24 — a very interesting coincidence. •The percentage of B-17s lost was comparable to the number of B-24s lost. The chances of survival were the same regardless of the aircraft flown. •All USAAF aircraft produced in WWII helped win the war. Source: Al Blue

Skip
Old 11-08-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal72 View Post
That is a amazing story, thank you for sharing.

Combat pilots have brass balls period. That war produced greatest generation of warfighters and Americans this country has ever seen.
I appreciate that NorCal.

Skip
Old 11-08-2013, 05:53 PM

Very cool, Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-11-2013, 01:45 AM

Default A B-24 Liberator

Skip
Old 11-11-2013, 04:35 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

The B-24 is an awesome airplane. Very fast for it's day and age. Thanks for sharing all of that info. Never get's old reading about that era of aviation.

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/