Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 01-29-2013, 10:53 PM

Default 66 Nova SS Project

Figure I will call this project Body Slam. The car will be a full frame car built for road racing and street use. Bought the roller in July 2012. We will see how long this takes overall, hopefully it doesn't turn into a year long project.

Started with a pretty good shell, the body appears to be nice and straight and that is what I was most concerned with given the level of modifications I will be doing to the car otherwise.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2013, 10:59 PM

Default started on full frame

I built the main frame section over my holiday break at the end of the year. Square and level. Actually, having a square and a level meant I already started with more tools than the average large scale, spec home builder I am lucky enough to have access to engineering tools at work so I was able to perform various analyses and optimize tube locations and actually reduce the weight of the cage by quite a bit from my first cut with a fair amount of triangulation "by eye".

Attached is the analysis model of the proposed chassis design. The cage in the rear will house the sequential 5 spd transaxle I have and the engine will be set back about 6" to get nearly all of its weight behind the front wheels.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2013, 11:07 PM

I am gutting my current road race car to build the Nova, so instead of a Porsche with a mix of Chevy parts, I will have a Chevy with a mix of Porsche parts The 16x11 and 16x12 wheels will be utilized on this car for road racing and I may bump up to 18s for the street use as there is a good selection of 11" to 13" rubber out there for that diameter these days.

Crazy how much cleaner my garage was then

The 914 has a de-stroked 400 (353 cubes with a 327 crank and 6" rods). Simple flattop combo with alum 23deg heads and tappet cam. 525HP/438 ft-lbs when I broke it in on the dyno 7 years ago in Placentia CA with only a 1% correction factor. Been beating the hell out of it for 7 years now and she just keeps rockin'.

Took the car out last Saturday for the final hoorah on an open track day and it was the fastest car there and ran a lap 2.1 seconds faster than the SCCA Super Production class record which happens to be held by another 914 V8 but it has a 402 cube all alum brodix tall deck engine and 150 more HP. In fact, even in light traffic, I have over a dozen record breaking laps, so it makes it hard to tear it down but I need something new.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2013, 11:19 PM

I intend to have the ride height the same as the 914, about 4.5" at the front of the rockers, a 1" rake overall, and then hope to find someone local to build a good air dam and put the splitter at 4" just like the teener as well. Frame clearance will be 4" front to rear, parallel to ground, with the body raked.

Started installing the rocker rails and frenching them into the existing floor pan. I am likely going to just do a full floor but for now want to keep the body and interior pretty stock looking. It would be way easier to just replace the floor pans so I may just do that in the end. The driver's pan will need a fair amount of work anyway as I have one of the first Tilton floor mount pedal assemblies and intend to keep using it so that will have to be worked in.

I set the main frame section under the car and will now be working on frenching that in as well. Got the torch out for easy interference removal on the lower control arm/engine mount and the caster links.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2013, 11:21 PM

Killer project. Really enjoyed your videos with the P-car.

2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 01-30-2013, 01:29 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Nice project My favorite years 66-67.