Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 10-15-2019, 05:39 PM

Default Oil pickup distance to pan too much

So I checked the clearance of my oil pick up to the pan on my LS3 - i went with a Moroso pan, windage tray and pickup....I got .63" which is too much....I'd like it to be in the 1/4"-3/8" range. So to raise the pick up higher, can I install washers under the windage tray to raise it and then bolt the pick up in over the windage tray to close the distance? What have others done when in this situation?
Old 10-15-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conester2013 View Post
So I checked the clearance of my oil pick up to the pan on my LS3 - i went with a Moroso pan, windage tray and pickup....I got .63" which is too much....I'd like it to be in the 1/4"-3/8" range. So to raise the pick up higher, can I install washers under the windage tray to raise it and then bolt the pick up in over the windage tray to close the distance? What have others done when in this situation?
Pretty common to have to use washers to set this distance. 99.9% of folks never check this distance, nor even care or know to. I set mine at .235” using hardened washers. I had to mod my windage tray in that area to make it happen. This number is critical especially for anyone doing spirited driving in twisties, which most of us pro-touring guys do. Good on you sir for being concerned about this in your engine. LS engines need all the help they can get in the oiling department, especially wet sump LS engines.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 10-19-2019, 08:58 AM

I ended up breaking out the cut off wheel and welder...tried shimming it, but I was just too far off and I lost all my stud threads after I shimmed, so I ended up welding in a .300 spacer in the mounting bracket of the pickup tube..then had to move the tube over a little to clear the oil pan since it was raised up...little cut here, little trim there and weld her back up...good to go.... .320 now....much better!