Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 01-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Kevin's 67 Camaro

Ok here it goes, I am NOT new to the site but have been fairly quiet on here. I was kind of holding out on posting my project because the progress has been painfully slow. I bought it back in Jan of 06 while going to school. I was taking a ten month CNC machinist program that also started me off as a first year apprentice. Here is the car in 06 when I brought it home.

It was in very good shape, and the gaps were perfect throughout. I should have just painted it and drove it. The only problem was the previous owner had shaved the door handles and trunk lock, along with the filler cap; it also had a makeshift roll pan on the back It was all cool, but not quite what I wanted.
Moving on, I finished my machinist course with a scholarship and a job working for a pipe threading company in Edmonton. I ended up doing my practicum with the company, but did not like the repetitiveness, or the city for that matter so I moved back home where I was offered a job at the restoration shop I bought the car from.
I thought this was going to be great, I would get to learn the skills to do all the work on my car myself leaving money to buy some of the items on my growing wish list: A Viper T-56 from DandD performance, DSE minitubs, quadralink, hydroformed subframe, and Fikse profile 5-S wheels.

Shortly after starting at the body shop I tore the car down, and began working on it. First off was getting rid of the ugly roll pan that was on the back of the car, and getting the door handles back in which lead me to this

I was not overly happy with the original tail pan once I got the roll pan removed so I ordered a new one. Then I got looking at the quarters, and decided to replace them; not because of rust but because of some minor damage lurking underneath.

Somewhere along the way things got carried away. I ended up re-skinning the doors, the quarters, roof, and tail pan; installing mini tubs (twice), and stretching the outer wheel tubs to accommodate the 335/30/18's I had planned for the back. here are a few pics.

I have a lot more of this story to share so it will be continued.......

Last edited by KPC67; 01-02-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Supporting Vendor

Autokraft.org

Nice project. Lets here the story
Old 01-02-2012, 09:18 PM

Great project!
Old 01-03-2012, 01:11 PM

over the next year and a half I worked quite a bit on the car in the winter evenings and weekends; shaving the fire wall, relocating the wiper motor underneath the drivers side fender, stretching the trans tunnel an inch and a half for the t56, installing DSE subframe connectors, installing mini tubs, and building my own cross member for the t56/ 396 bbc combo I had originally planned on using. I was not able to work on it very much during the summers because I used to coach wakeboarding lessons, as well as going to competitions on days off and weekends.

So this brings us to mid Feb of 2008.
more to come, I apologize for the poor pictures, I didn't realize how bad they are until I started posting them.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:48 PM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Nice project Kevin! Keep it coming!

Old 01-04-2012, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the comments guys, it's nice to have some support on here.

So now is where progress on my project pretty much stops. I was living in Calgary, AB taking my second year in autobody; living with my older brother who at the time was working as a geologist and decided he didn't like the city either. He had it in his head that he wanted to go farming. During my two months there he convinced me that it was a good idea as well. All we had to do was buy some really expensive equipment and take over the land our dad had rented out five years earlier.
Our first year had turned out quite well for us so in jan of 09 I quit the body shop to concentrate my efforts on the farm and help my parents out (in fall of 08 my mom was diagnosed with cancer, and my dad was fast approaching a kidney transplant, they are both recovering very well). Over the next three years my brother and I have taken our farm from 1500 acres to 7500, leaving very little time for my car. To keep the dream of my camaro alive I logged on to lat-g frequently, and kept purchasing parts; acquiring a short block LS7 with darton sleeves, katech pistons, and a callies crank, along with a set of fikse profile 5s's, and some wilwood 14" brakes front and rear.

This pretty much brings us up to date. I have been trying to find some spare time to work on my car this winter; so far I have installed a DSE quad link and have a 9" from DSE on order along with some ls headers, engine mounts, and a battery relocation kit. :

I will move this thread to the project updates when I have some new pictures for you. To hold you over here is a crappy pic from my phone.

Last edited by KPC67; 02-19-2012 at 11:03 AM.