Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 04-14-2013, 06:42 PM

Here's a little wrap-up of the day yesterday.

I was determined to fire the engine yesterday, knowing we had a lot of work to do to make that happen. I got to the shop early, and Eric and I set out on a mission.

I finished up the interior wiring of the ECU, transmission, and hooked up the gauges in a temporary fashion. I wired them up to the headlight switch to make sure that the lights all worked as well. After all of the wiring work, I connected the battery and had Eric looking for smoke. None came, which was the first big relief of the day.

Then I turned on the ignition switch and saw the gauges move as expected. I started running through the systems that I could, and everything seemed to be ok.

The last step for me was to install the Rick's gas tank filler neck. It's a little tight to do that with the tank installed, but I got it on and tightened up. All good!

Meanwhile, Eric finished up the few remaining plumbing issues. He had to remake the oil and power-steering cooler lines. He remade them this time with stainless, and he was able to reroute the lines to not touch each other.

Next we poured some gas in the tank and turned on the switch again. I saw pressure build on the fuel pressure gauge, which was a good sign that the pump, lines and gauge were all working! We crawled around under the car, and only found one very slight drip at the hardline to AN line fitting. A turn of the wrench, and that drip was gone.

At this point we poured all of the various fluids into their respective destinations, and again started looking for leaks. Radiator, check. Power Steering, check. Oil, check. Transmission, check. Differential, check. Woo hoo!

Then the step I was worried about. Because of the LS setup, I don't know of a good way to prime the oil system. This engine hasn't run for over 2 years, and it's been drained, and we've added the oil cooler, thermostat, and lines, so I knew it would take a while to get oil through all of that. Scarily, it took longer than I would like for it too. Spin, spin, spin. Finally, I saw the oil pressure gauge move a little bit. Then a little more, and finally it crawled up to about 20psi. Phew!

Now for the moment of truth... We reconnected the coils and the injectors. I crawled into the car, pushed down the clutch, and turned the switch. After about 3 seconds, she fired to life! What a sweet sound. I was watching the gauges, and we were both crawling around and under the car looking for any leaks or other signs of problems. But none were to be found! We ran it until the fans kicked on, meaning the temps were up to running temp. Then we shut her down, and let out a collective sigh of relief.

We started it up a couple more times to make sure it was still all good, and everything seems great! No leaks, started right up both times, and the ECU looks to be good. I know it's not tuned well for idle / part throttle (the IAC is definitely off), but she runs!

Now that we are past this hurdle, we should be able to make some quick progress. This week, Eric is going to tackle assembling the front sheetmetal, and I am going to work on wiring the gauge wires. I purchased some connectors to allow quick disconnects, so I need to install those. Then the dash, back seats, and console. I am taking the dash panel which Eric made to be powder coated, and once it is back, we'll get the dash finished up.

It's getting close! I'm getting excited.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Congrats Bryan. Vid looks awesome! It's been a long road and you guys have done a great job.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:33 AM

I stopped by and checked the car out on Friday, it's looking really good. Wheels and tires look awesome on the car in person. Wish I could have made it by this weekend to hear it roar but couldn't. Glad everything went well getting it fired up. Car sounds great. Should be on the road in no time..
Old 04-21-2013, 05:58 PM

More progress this week!

Eric has been busy assembling the front of the car, and it's amazing how much different the project looks and feels with the front sheetmetal on again! It's as if I can 'feel' the end of the project in sight now! As seems to be the case for all of these assemblies, there has been a lot of adjusting and tweaking to get to this point, but the gaps are looking great around the front, especially considering these parts were just painted and assembled without any actual bodywork on them...

He also replaced the RB hood pins with the Aerocatch units. I love these, and I'll be a lot more comfortable driving down the road and not watching the pins wiggle their way out of the RB units. We had to mount these sideways due to the inner structure of the VFN hood, but I think they look just fine this way.

I'm trying to determine which of the available drop-shaker bases will be the closest to working for me. Strangely, I'm having trouble find some simple dimensions for the couple that are available. Eric and I have discussed it, and we may just have to buy one and cut it as needed. I need to get something on the way...

As for me, I continue on the seemingly endless saga of wiring this car. I'm really sick and tired of laying in the car on my back and side trying to cleanly route wires. Hopefully I'm finally done under the dash. We stuck the VA evaporator setup in for the last time this week, and I made the used a pair of 15-pin Painless Wiring disconnect connectors for my gauge panel. I had the panel powder coated this week, and I was able to stick the Speedhut gauges in it too.

Then I had to take the painful step of cutting up a brand new reproduction Firebird dash. I bought this piece 2 years ago, and it's been sitting in wait for this day. The Firebird dash has a lot of plastic structure behind the gauges where the heater control, dash vents, etc were mounted originally. With my gauge layout, all of that stuff was going to be in the way. Out came the air saw and the drum sander, and I started cutting. I tried to leave as much as I could, and I still have vertical support across the opening.

Then the perhaps even more painful step of cutting the radio opening for the head unit. The Firebird dash has the radio opening cast into the ABS plastic, so again with the air saw and drum sander. It's a tight fit height wise, but it's in there...

After all of the cutting, I put the dash and gauge panel in the car to check all of the fitment. It looks GREAT in my opinion. I sadly had to take it back out since we still have a little under-dash work to do on the AC ductwork, but I was glad to at least see it in place.

Then I started wiring up the gauges and lights. I'm almost done, but needed some small gauge wire to wire the turn signal, brake, high-beam, and warning lights. I picked that up this afternoon, so on my next trip to the shop I will wrap all of that up. The dash should be in place next week.

I picked up all of the bulbs for the rear of the car and installed those too. Thankfully, everything worked.

There are a few other odds and ends to be taken care of this week too... Eric is going to heat and bend the shifter stick once we have the console in place, it's a little too close to the dash as it sits now. I already mentioned the shaker, and the stereo amplifier needs to be mounted. We are going to switch the circuit breaker from a 120A unit to a 150A unit. We tripped it once starting the car last weekend, so on a hot day it may pull too much current. I also need to contact Fesler about a set of hood struts. The ones I have don't hold the VFN hood up, so I need to get another set...

Requisite pictures below...

Here was my temporary gauge setup when we fired the engine last weekend.

The blank panel after powder coating:

Panel assembled, without the LEDs:

Dash pad after cutting the gauge area:

Stereo installed (I may do something to cover up the knob depression areas):

Dash and gauges in the car (you can see how close the shifter handle is, and that's without the knob):

And working on the wiring:

Old 04-21-2013, 06:06 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Looking good!!

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/
Old 04-21-2013, 08:17 PM

How much work did it take to get the VFN hood to fit well?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:30 PM

Fricken nice. !!
Old 04-21-2013, 10:27 PM

Looking sick man!
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 04-21-2013, 10:33 PM

Thanx guys!

Stephen, very little work was done to the VFN hood. Jake at JRS painted and installed it, but from the pictures that I have of the work being done, there were just a few little touch-up spots on it. Nothing was really done along the edges to work on gaps or fitment. All things considered, I think it's fit great!

The only issues with it are that it's not strong enough to force the shaker scoop seal 'down'. By that I mean, the seal is pretty stiff, and if it sits up high at all (which mine did before), the hood isn't going to flatten it out. My hood bulged a little in the middle because of it. And thus my need to find a drop shaker base...
Old 04-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Please tell me, Please.. where did you get vents.. I have the same dash..

Thanks

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
Thanx guys!

Stephen, very little work was done to the VFN hood. Jake at JRS painted and installed it, but from the pictures that I have of the work being done, there were just a few little touch-up spots on it. Nothing was really done along the edges to work on gaps or fitment. All things considered, I think it's fit great!

The only issues with it are that it's not strong enough to force the shaker scoop seal 'down'. By that I mean, the seal is pretty stiff, and if it sits up high at all (which mine did before), the hood isn't going to flatten it out. My hood bulged a little in the middle because of it. And thus my need to find a drop shaker base...