Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 06-06-2019, 07:44 PM

Default Advantages of getting rid of the mono spring C4 suspension

Hi guys. I have a 65 chevelle with c4 corvette suspension front and back. I bought the car like this and it drives great. He used all stock c4 suspension parts including the monosprings. I was curious if you think switching to coilovers would give any noticeable handling improvements? Wouldn't mind lowering the car a little which could be an advantage to coilovers but don't want to spend all that money for little change. I would like to get into autocross for fun and was putting together some modifications i would like to do to the car. Thanks!!

Josh
Old 06-06-2019, 09:41 PM

I actually really like transverse leaf springs. They can be light, efficient, don’t get in the way of big tires and they are basically 100% sprung weight. The big benefit you’d probably get from a coil over is the shock itself and not the spring. If on a limited budget I’d start with making sure I had the biggest and best tires I could get on a light wheel before I would change any architecture. Especially if this is a dual duty car - street and autocross as the wheels and tires can be easily swapped for events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1968 Pontiac Firebird
1989 Ford Mustang
Old 06-06-2019, 10:00 PM

Is this the super-cool Chevelle that had a build thread on Pro-touring.com? If so, good buy--that car is sweet!

On the topic of the monoleafs, do not replace them. They weigh like eight pounds each, and they probably ride better than any oversprung/crappily designed coilovers you'll install. As much as it's sold as a good thing, adjustable springs are not things most people should have anything to do with. Oh, and the funny thing is that the monoleaves are in fact adjustable, especially in the rear. Have at it, and focus on some good shocks (RideTech pretty much has the best ones that I know of for the C4--yes, I have them.). The Corvette forums have quite the pile of data and discussion on the topic of C4 suspension.

I have a Ford Falcon that is basically a stretched C4, and I love the stock C4 suspension. Mine is a '92, which was updated from earlier models, but the overall design is far beyond most of what the current aftermarket can even attempt in ride and handling (a combined thing--what a concept!). Beyond sway bars and (adjustable) shocks and huge wheels/tires (11" wide wheels fit fine on all corners), there isn't much that will improve things. Your local autocross will undoubtedly have some guys who know all about the C4, especially AAS.

For springs and shocks and stuff, check out Van Steel or Vette Products.

End rant/suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadsvt View Post
Hi guys. I have a 65 chevelle with c4 corvette suspension front and back. I bought the car like this and it drives great. He used all stock c4 suspension parts including the monosprings. I was curious if you think switching to coilovers would give any noticeable handling improvements? Wouldn't mind lowering the car a little which could be an advantage to coilovers but don't want to spend all that money for little change. I would like to get into autocross for fun and was putting together some modifications i would like to do to the car. Thanks!!

Josh
Old 06-13-2019, 02:52 PM

If your springs seem a bit soft, try to source some early C4 Z51 springs. Then get adjustable shocks like Ride Tech.