Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Cooling: Radiators/Fans/Controllers
User Name
Password

Old 08-05-2016, 10:12 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Here is the controller I pulled from the Ford Fusion...

It had marking on the sticker, but I accidentally wiped them off when I was cleaning it. It had the same wiring diagram as the C6 controller, with the only difference being this one is made in Mexico. Presumably to cut cost for the Ford Fusion.

Andrew

Last edited by andrewb70; 08-05-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:46 PM

The information below is for a Holley HP or Dominator system, but I thought it would be handy to post it here.

So recently a buddy of mine presented me with a challenge. He has a street car that uses a Dominator ECU and he is using the C6 fan controller, just like I am. However, his car has A/C and he wanted to have the fan turn on at a predefined duty cycle whenever the A/C kicks on. I also know that some of you have the desire to be able to toggle the fan to full speed while at the track, and with the configuration that I previously posted, this is not possible. There may be other ways to do this, but this is what I came up with and it seems to work very well. I am testing it with a manual trigger through a virtual switch on my Holley 7" dash, but any switch will work, including a A/C compressor trigger.

First you need to create an Input and assign it to a pin (hopefully y'all know how to do that already). In my case I created a 20v sensor, but I see no reason why creating a 5v sensor wouldn't work either...

Then you have to configure the sensor. I chose the Custom 20v from the dropdown menu and gave the sensor a minimum value of 0 and a max of 1. Essentially what I am doing is creating a binary switch. The reason for doing this is that simple 12+ or Ground triggers are not selectable in the PWM table, but custom sensors are!

Here is the bottom of the screen...On the bottom scale, half the values are given a value of zero and the rest ramps up from 10-20v. Then I configure voltage values of zero to be zero and voltage values above 10v to have a value of 1.

Now we can move to the PWM output screen and configure it. The Y-axis remains CTS but instead of having MPH on the X-axis, as I used to have, now I select the new A/C sensor that I created. The resulting table looks like this:

This essentially splits the PWM table into to different conditions and they function independently, based on whether the trigger we created is ON (value 1) or OFF (value 0)...This set-up should work just fine for anyone that wants to turn their fan on at the drag strip...but it creates a different situation if you want the fan on when the A/C is on. With this configuration, even at highway speeds, the fan will be running at 50% (or whatever we assign to the cell of value 1 on the X-axis), which isn't really needed or desirable. In order to fix this, I have created conditional sensor triggers that will activate the PWM table.

I have set MPH as a trigger and set it to activate the table at speeds below 30 mph, and I also set the table to activate when temperatures are above 200 degrees. So in my friends case, with the A/C ON the fan will operate at 50% while at speeds below 30mph. Above that speed the fan is OFF, even when the A/C ON, however, if the CTS goes above 200 degrees, the table PWM table is activated again. Also keep in mind that the whole left side of the PWM table can have different values in all the cells. So you can have a minimum of 50%, but if CTS starts climbing, higher fan speeds can be commended.

With the A/C OFF, again, the right side of the PWM table is activated below 30 mph (this of course can be changed) or when the CTS goes above 200 degrees (this too can be changed).

This configuration should work for different set-ups and scenarios but the trigger values will have to be tuned to your particular combinations. This is due to variance in fans, hoods, thermostats, etc....

Any and all comments are welcome...

Andrew
Old 09-04-2016, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
Now, if we can only find the part numbers for the large female terminals, then we will be all set!
Andrew
Andrew,

Have you tried searching here ? https://apps.us.yazaki.com/Component...temPN=71164036

You may have to take some measurements and do a deep-dive into the drawings but they should be in there.

Delphi terminals and connectors are soooooooo much easier.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:38 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I appreciate this thread guys and all the information in it. Been setting up the programming in mine and having some success so far using the c6 module and the Holley system. Can't wait to play with it more.

May have similar logic setup to the last example with the AC switch.
2018 GMC Denali HD
Old 09-05-2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
The information below is for a Holley HP or Dominator system, but I thought it would be handy to post it here.
Andrew, great information! I was a little stumped on how to get the A/C to trigger the PWM fans, so will try this now. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2016, 07:05 AM

Default Just from a newbie

On your controllers from a fusion most mazda cars will also have a similar controller.Hope this helps just my .02
Old 09-15-2016, 09:56 AM

Default PWM Electrical vs. PWM EV

Does anyone know what the difference between PWM electrical and PWM EV fan control signals in a GM ECU application? Is one +12V and the other a modulated ground? This latest CTS-V fan apparently is configured as PWM EV, and I'm trying to figure out how to emulate that with a Motec ECU ...

Thanks for any help.

Scott
Old 09-17-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAddict View Post
Does anyone know what the difference between PWM electrical and PWM EV fan control signals in a GM ECU application? Is one +12V and the other a modulated ground? This latest CTS-V fan apparently is configured as PWM EV, and I'm trying to figure out how to emulate that with a Motec ECU ...

Thanks for any help.

Scott
Scott,

Have you tried using PWM- like we have done with the C6 fan controllers?

Andrew
Old 09-18-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Scott,

Have you tried using PWM- like we have done with the C6 fan controllers?

Andrew
Andrew,

Thanks for responding. I think I should have explained my question better.

The fan is definitely PWM controlled. The question is, what is the nature of the modulated signal? For instance, you can pulse a +12V signal, or pulse a ground connection (some aftermarket ECUs control analog gauges this way, for instance). And some kinds of PWM control "invert" the logic, e.g. wider pulses can mean slower speed instead of faster.

The GM ECUs have 3 kinds of PWM configuration: PWM Electrical, PWM EV, and PWM MRF, as they are called in HPTuners. I'm quite sure that PWM Electrical is a modulated +12V signal, but I don't know what the others do, specifically the PWM EV signal for controlling the CTSV fan. Don't want to damage an ECU or fan controller by guessing wrong.

BTW, PWM EV is apparently so named because it's the signal type used to control the "electro-viscous" fan clutches on some trucks. I'm guessing by what I can Google that this could be a modulated ground, but I'm hoping someone with more GM ECU hands-on can clarify.

Thanks much,

Scott
Old 09-26-2016, 04:51 PM

Doing a Connect and Cruise LSA. Is it confirmed that I can _not_ control the fans with PWM with a GMPP E67?

Support your local hot rod shop!