Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 01-19-2009, 05:44 PM

Default ? about how to paint my camaro

I am trying to get this straight before I attempt to paint my car. I see various ways that guys paint these camaros and I want to do it the correct way the first time.

I have always thought that I would base/clear each panel off of the car and then re-assemble the car. In this picture, these guys are jambing the car with base and clear. Is there some special kind of clear that they are using? In my mind I am thinking there would be a ridge between the exterior body panels and the jambs from where they are taping off.

I see these dudes know what they are doing and I am not second guessing what they are doing I just want a clear understanding of what is going on.

Another question. I notice this guy is using a sharpe marker. Anyone else do this for a guide? Pretty good idea I thought. If any painters can chime in and let me know a good route I would appreciate it.

Last edited by almcbri; 01-19-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:07 PM

Its all about the back tape job you do. What they are doing is shooting the jambs then back taping in the jamb area. While the clear is wet you'll pull your tape and it will flow out and you'll have no edge. If you do have a little edge you'll wet sand it and polish it out.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:31 AM

The process depends on how much time and space you have. Painting each panel is easier and takes less space, but depending on the color/paint may not be the best. What color are you going to shoot?

I personally would never jamb a car since you can shoot the base hang the doors, etc then shoot the rest of the car, take them off and then clear. We use Spies Hecker paint and the base if not hardened can sit almost indefinitely without clear on it.

Depending on your skill level the marker would be a good guide for making sure you get all the waves, peel, etc out of the clear.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2SpeedandCustom View Post
The process depends on how much time and space you have. Painting each panel is easier and takes less space, but depending on the color/paint may not be the best. What color are you going to shoot?

I personally would never jamb a car since you can shoot the base hang the doors, etc then shoot the rest of the car, take them off and then clear. We use Spies Hecker paint and the base if not hardened can sit almost indefinitely without clear on it.

Depending on your skill level the marker would be a good guide for making sure you get all the waves, peel, etc out of the clear.
If its a heavy pearl or three stage you cant shoot the panels off the car. Well I guess you could, but I wouldnt.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:02 PM

Sharpie maybe ok on clear but I'd never use it. Maybe dry erase? Especially don't use on primer. Just wipe the water off if you can't see the orange in the clear.
http://www.facebook.com/ConceptFab2006
Shop channel: https://www.youtube.com/my_videos
Old 01-20-2009, 09:08 PM

i used to jamb cars too, but since have stopped doing it that way, i like to remove everything and shoot separately when possible. I dont think id use a sharpe when wet sanding either, doesnt sound like a great idea to me..
-1967 C-10 step side 4x4
-2000 Dodge Dakota

it'll buff out........