Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 07-31-2009, 12:37 PM

Default firewall smoothing question

I've got a kinda general question about firewall smoothing...
I had my body work done about 2 years ago, and needless to say, due to my budget and being a student at the time, I wasn't able to afford everything that I wanted at once. My car is almost driving, but I can't help but look at my firewall and wish I could have had it done. Considering the amount I've spent on my car, I feel like I HAVE to do this the right way.
So how hard is that going to be to have my firewall smoothed after the car is running? I realize I'll have to pull the motor and front end.
And if anybody has any suggestions as for a good shop that can do it in California (northern OR southern), I'd appreciate it. Really want to get this done.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill steez View Post
I've got a kinda general question about firewall smoothing...
I had my body work done about 2 years ago, and needless to say, due to my budget and being a student at the time, I wasn't able to afford everything that I wanted at once. My car is almost driving, but I can't help but look at my firewall and wish I could have had it done. Considering the amount I've spent on my car, I feel like I HAVE to do this the right way.
I dont think you will have to remove the front end, yank the engine, yes. What are you considering for a smoothing? Keeping the metal that is there and filling the unnecessary holes and blending the rough spots. Or removing the firewall and replacing it with an entirely new sheet?

I started with the first option, then got into some other mods and needed a new larger tranny tunnel so I ended up cutting out the firewall I did a lil work to and welded in a new firewall, just straight sheet metal and formed a new tunnel.

So many possibilities. It was kinda a bear to weld in the new panel cause I had to make the original body joints spotless to be able to fully weld in the new sheet. Had to make a new mount for the steering column to go through. But all in all a clean slate to work from was nice. I used 16ga steel for it all.

Here are some pics. Looks ugly, but everything does during the building phase. Now that its all back together it looks pretty good. Car still isnt done so I dont have any final pics. JR

62 nova

After welding up ALOT of useless holes, some filling.

Old firewall removed and the new sheet getting welded in.

Tunnel going in, that thing was tough to bend.

Welding done, time to modify it for the steering and components.

Kinda hard to see the firewall, but its back there, somewhere?????