Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 03-21-2006, 07:25 PM

Default 66 nova Fiberglass parts?

Is there any issues with using fiberglass fenders on a 66 nova. I can not find any fenders for this car that do not have a ton of bondo in them. So far I was just thinking about a fiberglass cowl hood and fenders. Would the quality be good for a high dollar car? It seems they would be being that Promax car is all glass. You guys let me know what you think.

Mike
Old 03-22-2006, 01:24 AM

yes the quality can be good with fiberglass parts, however, with cowl hoods being the exception, most fiberglass parts are made for race cars, in order to shave weight, the light go fast parts are usually crap for finishing, the promax cars are a different story because they are made of glass in a similar style to that of high dollar street rod glass bodies, which a lot more time and better quality materials are used in order to get a better finished product, and these parts are usually "heavy" for glass parts, just like the glass cowl hoods.

imo, the hood is a good idea if you are looking for a cowl hood, but i would keep looking for steel fenders even if they need some work.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:13 AM

Now that I think about it, I dont want no stinking fiberglass fenders. I had enough fiberglass work on the cobra and then my wifes CMC 356 speedster. LOL I have not removed all the bondo from my fenders yet so maybe they can be used but im not going to bet on it. I have some time to find fenders as I have lots to do without them.

Mike
Old 03-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Supporting Member

Are the Reproduction steel fenders no good for a '66?

I recently put one on a '62, and we got it to fit pretty good. It did have some 'dents' in it though.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:27 PM

There are no reporductions fenders for 66 novas. I contacted a company that had them listed on ebay and they said that it would be another year before they had fenders for this car. I found some dented up fenders for $250 but there rust free.

Mike
Old 03-22-2006, 07:25 PM

Mike,

I see you are in Georgia but not sure how far from the Atlanta area. If you have any interest in carbon fiber let me know. A bit pricey sure, but show car fit and finish is absolutely no problem.

Mark
www.evolutionmusclecars.com