Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheel Gallery
User Name
Password

Old 04-27-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillySpeedNYC View Post
those are great looking wheels and i really liked watching your video on how they are made. So for every set of wheels you guys are spinning each inner and outer rim half? if so that is beyond freaking cool because most if not all rim makers buy off the shelf parts and just mill centers and assemble.

i love your classic step lip design. Do you offer exposed hardware?
Thanks for the kid remarks and support! We felt it necessary to do a video on our manufacturing capabilities and to show our German "Spin-Form" technology. This technology is rarely seen or even spoken about since vary few have the technology or know how.

We manufacture the rim halves or barrels in large batches in all the different sizes. It's quite an extensive process to manufacture a the barrels, particularly the outer rims.

Example of the outer rim process:
-Spin the part in 6061-T0 condition
-Heat Treat to 6061-T4 condition
-Calibrate the part
-Age to 6061-T6
-Trim excess material off
-Polish outer rim
-Drill 30 holes
-Drill valve stem hole

We typically run between 75-150 pieces of each rim half size depending on the size & popularity of it. A quick build production time frame for the above is about 3-weeks. We do quite a bit of production planning during the year to ensure a good inventory of 18" and 19" modular rims in the step lip style.

***All of our wheels currently are a blind or hidden bolt style. We feel the wheel has a much cleaner look and we eliminate the need for a nut which adds weight and cost.

Last edited by Formula43 Wheel; 05-06-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula43 Wheel View Post
***All of our wheels currently are a blind or hidden bolt style. We feel the wheel has a much cleaner look and we eliminate the need for a nut which adds weight and cost.
I must be partial to the hidden fastener because that would be a selling point in my book... if only my 'book was thicker so I could afford them.

I know, I know...like Keith Bontrager from the Mountain Bike racing world said, "Lightweight, Strong or inexpensive. Pick any two."

In my opinion there is enough apparent technology there that the fasteners do not need to be visible for even the layman to see.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberts68 View Post
I must be partial to the hidden fastener because that would be a selling point in my book... if only my 'book was thicker so I could afford them.

I know, I know...like Keith Bontrager from the Mountain Bike racing world said, "Lightweight, Strong or inexpensive. Pick any two."

In my opinion there is enough apparent technology there that the fasteners do not need to be visible for even the layman to see.
-We use a roll formed thread in the center that results in 50% greater pull strength vs. conventional tapping, which I'm sure you know is forming the threads into the aluminum instead of cutting them into material.

We also designed and have our own specific bolts for all Formula 43 wheels in the RAD and RENN series of 18" and 19" of wheels.

Last edited by Formula43 Wheel; 05-06-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPANTS68 View Post
Looks like a crisper version of a Fikse wheel except you probably get these when you order them. Really sharp.
LoL this was my exact thought seeing this thread for the first time today. Very nice looking wheel!

Lots of autocross & track day videos of my car: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDude023
Old 04-27-2012, 02:38 PM

These are VERY nice looking wheels. Obviously a quality piece.

Like some others... if only my book was thicker
Old 04-30-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
13 is unlucky...like having a green race car!

We chose to build a ten spoke for many of reasons.

-Each spoke is aligned with another spoke giving the wheel a linear beam for greater strength.

-Each lug pocket is aligned with a spoke, again for greater strength and uniformity.

-Easy cleaning.

-Quicker pit stops for wheel and tire changes by being able to get you hand on a spoke quickly and easily. Note our RENN (race) wheels in 5-lug and centerlock applications are all ten spoke wheels.

As many of you know by now, our company and personnel have quite an extensive background in the wheel industry which you can see in the design and manufacturing of every Formula 43 wheel.
13 is only unlucky if you think it is.I will be waiting to buy a set of your 1st. 13 spoke wheel's.As soon as Vodoo Dr. say's it's OK.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
We just finished this set of our popular RADS5 for Detroit Speed.
Polished outer rim shell, clear anodized center and black anodized inner rim shell.
Scott, that it the exact finish I would like to order complete with the black anodized inner rim shell. Thanks!