Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 10-15-2008, 09:18 PM

Default engine bay colors, which black? semi, gloss, flat

I really like this flat color that DSE used on Stuarts Camaro, If anyone has any idea what color they use, please let me know. http://www.detroitspeed.com/projectp...artbc_main.htm

Another question: I have already painted my firewall and all the other pieces a single stage gloss black. I like the way it looks, but it just looks a little too shiny for my personal taste. What do I need to do to be able to re-shoot the firewall, and parts again with a more flat black color? Can I just wet sand it and shoot over it, or what would I be better off doing?

Hopefully some of you painting pros can chime in and help me out. The car is finally taking back off. I am on fall break in college so I hope to knock out some work this week as well.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:27 PM

Unless DSE changed something on that perticular build, they use GM W30848 also know as PPG 9469. This is what I shot on my car as well!

My research found that it's the stock underhood for many GM cars for many years! I like to over reduce it as it helps lay it on real smooth.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:15 PM

That indeed is the paint code on the black I used to paint engine compartment on Stuart's car and most anything that needed to go flat black.Would think all you need is to wax/grease to clean your gloss black area's and sand with 500/600 norton scuff pad and wash again and paint. Joe
Old 10-15-2008, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will drop by the paint shop tommorow and p/u the stuff. Hopefully I can show you some progress pics by the end of the weekend.