Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 05-03-2012, 05:09 PM

Mark, any interest in the GRM Ultimate Track Car Challenge? I know the car wont be ready for this years event but maybe next year?

Last edited by Track Junky; 05-03-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFLM View Post
Aluminum core supports are also available (AutoRad) as well as complete CF front clips for these cars... even 2nd Gen Pontiac Firebird/Tran Ams have CF noses, hoods, fenders and doors now!

I'd like to see Mark take advantage of ALL of the weight saving products available from out site sponsors and other vendors!
Ty who makes complete first gen carbon fiber clips?

Old 05-04-2012, 07:50 AM

Thanked 1,851 Times in 505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sik68 View Post
More power & less weight, but significant enough changes to warrant the expense of building a new car vs. modifying RD...there's something in plain sight that we aren't seeing!
I sold Red Devil because people are not as interested in a 3 year old car as they are a new build. I know it sucks but it is true. I was at the OUSCI last year and the design judge asked me "so, is this is the same car as last year?". I knew that was less style points. The magazines also want fresh cars (preferably not Camaros). Everyone expects me to build a new car better than the last.

Sorry I'm being a bit guarded on what is in the car but this is still a race and I do need to have a few tricks up my sleeve. I could be paranoid but I think people are gunning for me.

I could do an ultra light weight car that would be a track only car but I don’t want to own a car like that. I like to drive my car back and forth to work and on Hot Rod Power Tour if I wanted to. So things like side glass, sound deading, Air Conditioning, windshield wipers and a radio make it a “real” car. If I put the same time effort and money in a C-6 Corvette it would crush any Pro-Touring 1st Gen. Camaro. I know folks want to believe the their $100+K Pro Tour Camaro can whip a C-6 Z06 but it is hard to do as Danny Popp showed everyone. A late model Corvette has better: Aerodynamic, Center of Gravity, Weight Distribution, Polar Moment of Inertia, Track Width, Full sorted ABS, Traction Control. MR shocks, Air Conditioning, and you can buy one today that will kick most Pro-Tourings cars butt.

But I love old Camaros….I’ll keep trying to close the gap but it is hard. I do this as a hobby and for fun. I love designing new engine parts then running a engine on the dyno, sorting out shock valving, working on the technical issues on how to make ABS brakes work. This stuff is fun. With all the great products out there now from DSE and others these cars are fairly easy to build compared to 10 years ago. I’m sure someone will build an all carbon fiber, 2000lbs, AWD, 1200 HP Camaro someday and that will be very cool. It’s just beyond what I could do in my 3 car garage in my spare time.

When I was in college we had a competition called Formula SAE. OUSCI is like big boys and girls FSAE. We work on cars after class and on weekends for one race. Humm sounds like OUSCI but now we have work in place of classes. Formula SAE had a subjective engineer design portion; OUSCI has a subjective style portion. Formula SAE and OUSCI have track events. The big difference is FSAE and OUSCI both had one page of rules when it started. Now FSAE has about 20+ pages of rules…. So you folks wanting rules just look at FSAE.

Sorry that is off topic, but it is related to this build. My buddy in college who did the engine development on our FSAE car is the same guy doing my engine for this car: Dave Mikels. So there is a lot of continuity. Dave and I talked daily about our FSAE car in college and now we talk daily about OUSCI. Without Dave’s help I could not do well in OUSCI. On a side note on FSAE when I left University of Missouri - Rolla our next team caption for FSAE was Kyle Tucker…..Humm. Kyle is a great engineer and driver and he picked some or that up with FSAE.

These cars are more than the sum of their parts. It is the way they are tuned and tested that make the big difference. From 2010 OUSCI to 2011 OUSCI I shaved 3 seconds off my road course time with the same car with the same parts just by tuning it.

We should have the new engine on dyno next week. This is where the theory meets reality. Dave and I have modeled it and talked about it all winter. Now we will find out if it will make the numbers we think it will. This is fun stuff. I’ll never forget when Dave and I were in college and our FSAE engine cleared 100 HP in an open air dyno with no dyno cell. We sat 6 feet from it with no wall with it wailing at 10,000 RPM and the turbo system cherry red. As we spooled it up we could see our team mates backing up. People could hear it run all across campus on a Friday night. Good times. So when we fire up our latest creation it is the same but with bigger numbers and a wall.

Anyway I’ll drop some more information, maybe a rendering and a car name on this project soon. For now I just posted a few photos for fun and to get you guys talking.

Mark

Last edited by Stielow; 05-04-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:57 AM

Thumbs up

Very nice explanation, keep all your secrets guarded as you will
Nice build, pixs when you can!

Let the house go .... NEVER give up your car!!!!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:03 AM

Well said Mark.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:32 AM

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Thought about you all weekend - every time I crested turn 5....

Good post Mark!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:35 AM

Thanked 1,309 Times in 492 Posts

You might be able to call it a three car garage if you cram one car in sideways at the back. Two car is more like it.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:47 AM

Thanked 1,851 Times in 505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Thought about you all weekend - every time I crested turn 5....

Good post Mark!
I almost roll that Mustang one time and that's all people remember.

Mark
Old 05-04-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stielow View Post
I sold Red Devil because people are not as interested in a 3 year old car as they are a new build. I know it sucks but it is true. I was at the OUSCI last year and the design judge asked me "so, is this is the same car as last year?". I knew that was less style points. The magazines also want fresh cars (preferably not Camaros). Everyone expects me to build a new car better than the last.

Sorry I'm being a bit guarded on what is in the car but this is still a race and I do need to have a few tricks up my sleeve. I could be paranoid but I think people are gunning for me.

I could do an ultra light weight car that would be a track only car but I don’t want to own a car like that. I like to drive my car back and forth to work and on Hot Rod Power Tour if I wanted to. So things like side glass, sound deading, Air Conditioning, windshield wipers and a radio make it a “real” car. If I put the same time effort and money in a C-6 Corvette it would crush any Pro-Touring 1st Gen. Camaro. I know folks want to believe the their $100+K Pro Tour Camaro can whip a C-6 Z06 but it is hard to do as Danny Popp showed everyone. A late model Corvette has better: Aerodynamic, Center of Gravity, Weight Distribution, Polar Moment of Inertia, Track Width, Full sorted ABS, Traction Control. MR shocks, Air Conditioning, and you can buy one today that will kick most Pro-Tourings cars butt.

But I love old Camaros….I’ll keep trying to close the gap but it is hard. I do this as a hobby and for fun. I love designing new engine parts then running a engine on the dyno, sorting out shock valving, working on the technical issues on how to make ABS brakes work. This stuff is fun. With all the great products out there now from DSE and others these cars are fairly easy to build compared to 10 years ago. I’m sure someone will build an all carbon fiber, 2000lbs, AWD, 1200 HP Camaro someday and that will be very cool. It’s just beyond what I could do in my 3 car garage in my spare time.

When I was in college we had a competition called Formula SAE. OUSCI is like big boys and girls FSAE. We work on cars after class and on weekends for one race. Humm sounds like OUSCI but now we have work in place of classes. Formula SAE had a subjective engineer design portion; OUSCI has a subjective style portion. Formula SAE and OUSCI have track events. The big difference is FSAE and OUSCI both had one page of rules when it started. Now FSAE has about 20+ pages of rules…. So you folks wanting rules just look at FSAE.

Sorry that is off topic, but it is related to this build. My buddy in college who did the engine development on our FSAE car is the same guy doing my engine for this car: Dave Mikels. So there is a lot of continuity. Dave and I talked daily about our FSAE car in college and now we talk daily about OUSCI. Without Dave’s help I could not do well in OUSCI. On a side note on FSAE when I left University of Missouri - Rolla our next team caption for FSAE was Kyle Tucker…..Humm. Kyle is a great engineer and driver and he picked some or that up with FSAE.

These cars are more than the sum of their parts. It is the way they are tuned and tested that make the big difference. From 2010 OUSCI to 2011 OUSCI I shaved 3 seconds off my road course time with the same car with the same parts just by tuning it.

We should have the new engine on dyno next week. This is where the theory meets reality. Dave and I have modeled it and talked about it all winter. Now we will find out if it will make the numbers we think it will. This is fun stuff. I’ll never forget when Dave and I were in college and our FSAE engine cleared 100 HP in an open air dyno with no dyno cell. We sat 6 feet from it with no wall with it wailing at 10,000 RPM and the turbo system cherry red. As we spooled it up we could see our team mates backing up. People could hear it run all across campus on a Friday night. Good times. So when we fire up our latest creation it is the same but with bigger numbers and a wall.

Anyway I’ll drop some more information, maybe a rendering and a car name on this project soon. For now I just posted a few photos for fun and to get you guys talking.

Mark
Good insite Mark.For the last 10 year's I have been involved w/the Kansas university FSAE team.Have been helping them W/ fabrication and welding design,I have learned alot and hopfully the student's have learned also.It has helped in my car building also. Scott Mock.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stielow View Post

Mark
Where are the pictures?