Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 05-22-2015, 07:27 AM

Default Paint Jail Q's

Just curious if you guys that experienced cars in paint jail, when you finally got your car did you have to get a little huffy with them or exert some leverage?

I'm not talking about you guys that had an understanding with the shop that the job would take 8 months to a year for example, and they worked on the car diligently and everybody was cool.

I'm talking about the folks that dropped a car off, given a deadline. Deadline keeps getting missed. No progress for long periods of time, dragging ass, cars coming in and going out before yours. Every time you talk to them they tell you your car is next, and they will be getting it done in two weeks etc. etc.

My 71 camaro has been in paint jail since October of last year, they didn't really start working on it until mid-jan. But since then it's been a slow crawl.

I check on it every week, and they always tell me my car is going to get finished soon. About three weeks ago I was told the car was getting moved to a bay and they are starting heavy on it and will have it done in two weeks. But they needed a 2k down payment for supplies.

I gave them a cashiers check for 2k and worked on it for about 3 days and it got pushed to the side again

Last week I left a voicemail and told them I wasn't happy and this is taking too long. Said I was under the impression the car was going to become the main focus when I paid the money.

I get a call back and he apologized for dropping the ball, but they got busy with insurance jobs, but promised my car was going in and was going to get finished in a couple of weeks.

Checked on it wed, they had the front cap off, but the car was still parked in a different bay and they had a different insurance job in the bay working on it. All that needs to be done is the front cap worked, fenders are 80%. needs to be primed and whole car blocked and then it's ready for paint. I'm that close.

But I can't get straight answers out of them and I feel it will be oct before it's done, for a job that should have only took three weeks max.

Having said all of this, I made a document with a timeline of everything since I dropped it off. This includes the state the car was in each time I checked on it and what we were told. Each date was noted from 10/16/14 to 5/20/15.

I also stated that since they can't give me a commitment I will pick a date. I said I will be there to pick up my car on 6/11/14 whether it's done or not. Lastly I signed it and gave it to them.

I'm in a bad spot, because of course I have already heard it from a lot of people telling me to go get my car now.

Unless you've been in this scenario it's not that easy. The car is almost done. If I pulled it, I would have to find another shop.

It will be crap shoot if they will get it done on time. They will most likely want to strip the car and not go over someone else's work. I can't afford to take a hit on this one, and then pay for another paint job.

Car is 75% done, it's almost there. I just can't get a commitment on these jokers to finish it.

But I will say one thing, I will make sure everyone knows how they operate when it's all said and done.

I'm pretty sure he took my 2k down payment and used it to finance the insurance jobs he's working on.

Last edited by 1976camaroguy; 05-25-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:28 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Same exact story I hear from every car guy I know, word for word. Finding a reputable local paint shop is impossible.

They always seem to hold up progress until they get the bulk of the money, then they hold up progress even more.
Deadlines only seem to matter to the owner.
They will be more than happy for you to come and get it on a specific day, as long as you bring the rest of their money, finished or not.
Contracts are awesome, they make lots of money for attorneys and the court system. You do have several years set aside to deal with them?

Getting a project painted is hands down the worst part.

Jeff-
Old 05-22-2015, 11:20 AM

Never pay till work is done .Money upfront assures that your car will sit. Cars like yours is considered fill in work for shops doin insurance work which really pays the bills.i never had this problem because i can paint but had same deal with upholstery guy, cant tell you how many times i was told to come and get it only to show up to a locked shop or parts that couldnt be found cuz so and so didnt know .on top of waiting, i hope you get what you pay for in a good way.i would show up with a flatbed and take it asap,bring a big friend and a cop if you have to.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:11 PM

If you post this in the thread you started a couple of months ago on the other site you will get a bunch of "I told you so's"... You ignored some good advice and now you are thoroughly impregnated. The body shop played you like a well tuned fiddle...

Don
Old 05-26-2015, 01:19 AM

Yep. Ketzer and 66fury have it down.

The insurance jobs pay quick money in and out and are a solid source of income. "Completes" are difficult and time consuming.

The biggest problem is, there's no recourse for them on the time side of things. There's absolutely no law that says we have to have something done by a specific time. At least not in CA. The Bureau of Automotive Repair doesn't put that limit on us. But finding a good shop locally is a challenge sometimes.

My best advice is to get in there with the shop owner and discuss it as best you can. Set time tables for specific completions and overall completion. Truthfully, the only way to get it done is to run it through as if it were an insurance job. Get the regular guys to get on it, get it straight and get it shiny.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
If you post this in the thread you started a couple of months ago on the other site you will get a bunch of "I told you so's"... You ignored some good advice and now you are thoroughly impregnated. The body shop played you like a well tuned fiddle...

Don
this.

And I personally wont do paint jail again.. I even went to a quote REPUTABLE shop here locally and even though he had everyone in the scene believe he was strait up he grifted me in time and ended up with a huge bill, wayyyy past time, and not even finished with very questionable work..

I feel ya pain man.. I really do.

DIY should be an option for you to be super sure... I know as thats how I learned myself.

Last edited by Mr.VENGEANCE; 05-26-2015 at 05:19 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:31 AM

WHY to people insist on taking their custom paint jobs to Body Shops that do insurance work????
If you stop to look at the dynamics of a body shop why WOULD they work on your car.
Here is the model. insurance claims are FLAT RATE. your car is by the hour.
body guys that do insurance work are not interested in making an hourly wage they want to make 2 times that and that is how flat rate works.
Plus I doubt a flat rate guy could even concentrate or stay out of the drug pile long enough to align your door (if he even knows how) let alone finish an entire car.
Just the way it is, I have seen it for 20 years and it AIN'T GONNA CHANGE. There are plenty of custom shops that DON'T do insurance work. Find one and take your car there. Will it cost more? probably, will you get a better job? FOR SURE will it be done faster? probably.
When we do body /paint I work on 1 or 1.5 cars at a time. start to finish. We did a 69 Camaro last year from bare metal to polished in 4 months. stripped, top, bottom, inside and out. I am sure that is not a record of any sorts but you get the idea.
Here is the down side for the customer. It needs to paid for in 4 months, and on that car that was about 40k. so 10k a month, may not be for everyone. As a shop I also don't want to be on again off again on the job because them I'm not making money, the start and stop just kills the profit.
I feel for you, sucks to have to deal with it, but that is my view on the issue.

For anyone going forward the moral of the story is ............. Don't take your custom paint (complete repaint) to a body shop. just don't do it!
Old 05-26-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Foster View Post
WHY to people insist on taking their custom paint jobs to Body Shops that do insurance work????
If you stop to look at the dynamics of a body shop why WOULD they work on your car.
Here is the model. insurance claims are FLAT RATE. your car is by the hour.
body guys that do insurance work are not interested in making an hourly wage they want to make 2 times that and that is how flat rate works.
Plus I doubt a flat rate guy could even concentrate or stay out of the drug pile long enough to align your door (if he even knows how) let alone finish an entire car.
Just the way it is, I have seen it for 20 years and it AIN'T GONNA CHANGE. There are plenty of custom shops that DON'T do insurance work. Find one and take your car there. Will it cost more? probably, will you get a better job? FOR SURE will it be done faster? probably.
When we do body /paint I work on 1 or 1.5 cars at a time. start to finish. We did a 69 Camaro last year from bare metal to polished in 4 months. stripped, top, bottom, inside and out. I am sure that is not a record of any sorts but you get the idea.
Here is the down side for the customer. It needs to paid for in 4 months, and on that car that was about 40k. so 10k a month, may not be for everyone. As a shop I also don't want to be on again off again on the job because them I'm not making money, the start and stop just kills the profit.
I feel for you, sucks to have to deal with it, but that is my view on the issue.

For anyone going forward the moral of the story is ............. Don't take your custom paint (complete repaint) to a body shop. just don't do it!
I think you sort of answered your own question. A lot of guys can't afford a $40k (or $15k) paint job, myself included. They are forced to either roll the dice at a lower cost shop or do the work as best they can by themselves. I chose to do the work myself after my one and only paint jail experience.

Don

Last edited by dhutton; 05-26-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:42 AM

Wink

Body work and paint jobs:
  • Good
  • Fast
  • Cheap

Pick one.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
I think you sort of answered your own question. A lot of guys can't afford a $40k (or $15k) paint job, myself included. They are forced to either roll the dice at a lower cost shop or do the work as best they can by themselves. I chose to do the work myself after my one and only paint jail experience.

Don
OH I GET IT!!! but what is the point of having a "FUN" project that is in the corner of a dirty body shop for 4 years!! I mean you could have gone to the bank taken out the loan and paid it off in that time!! and been driving your car for 3 years. I would just lose interest an say screw it. I would be on to something else less aggravating. it is hard enough to build these cars with out have in to listen to all the Excuses and the WIFE!!
it just sucks all the enjoyment out of it
HOW do you even paint a car for 15k??? with 5000.00 worth of product at a bargain basement price of 50.00/ hour that is only 200 hours 25 working days. NO WAY it would be a waist of 15K and most shops charge more than 50 I am thinking. and if they are charging 50 . guess why they are NOT working on your CAR
I am a tight ass, trust me that is why I have to do it myself.