Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Brakes
User Name
Password

Old 05-09-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBPanel View Post
Ok, just wanted to be sure I didn't lead you down a path to the same problem. I'll take a look but as I recall it was on the order of 0.030" or so.
I appreciate that. How did you deal with the bearing protusion, btw?
Old 05-09-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67rstbkt View Post
I appreciate that. How did you deal with the bearing protusion, btw?
As I recall, I spoke w/Moser and they weren't concerned about it so I bolted it up and never looked back!
May not be as elegant but I suppose you could use washers on the t-bolts to mock up everything before having a 1/8" shim made or machine the backing plate. You could verify the axle offset needs that way too if you choose to user the spacer.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
As I recall, I spoke w/Moser and they weren't concerned about it so I bolted it up and never looked back!
May not be as elegant but I suppose you could use washers on the t-bolts to mock up everything before having a 1/8" shim made or machine the backing plate. You could verify the axle offset needs that way too if you choose to user the spacer.
I started mocking it up, I see what you mean about the calipers. It's a tight fit. I'm wondering what would happen if I mounted them to the rear (clocked 180* from stock)?

I have not taken exact measurements yet, but it looks like my new axle would need to extend out (increased offset?) from the housing an additional 3/8" for this to work. I measured some washers I had and found some that were really close to 1/8" to space out the backing plate.

I based my measurements on a 98 Camaro I have access to; I figured that if I match those measurements, the brakes should be correct.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67rstbkt View Post
I started mocking it up, I see what you mean about the calipers. It's a tight fit. I'm wondering what would happen if I mounted them to the rear (clocked 180* from stock)?
In my case it was an issue regardless of which side the caliper was on. Just depends on the shape of the frame.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
In my case it was an issue regardless of which side the caliper was on. Just depends on the shape of the frame.
Thanks, I'll take some pics as I get further into this mock-up. I'm pretty certain I have a little more space compared to a Nova, so I may be able to pull it off. We'll see I guess. I'm assuming the S-10 brakes you used mount the same way, correct?

I'm thinking my plan at this point should be do what I need to do to get the LS1 brakes to work and as a last resort, switch over to the brakes you used.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:07 PM

One more question on this regarding some other parameters:

1: the size of the axle flange (surface that the rotor will mate too) - The stock LS1 rotor appears to mount to a surface that is approximately 6 3/8" measured across, not diameter. Does the new axle need to be the same or can it be smaller? The axles I'm looking at are 5 3/4" across

2: the register - middle of the flange or hole in the center of the rotor. The rotor looks to be 2.775, the axle is 2.770. Is this ok being slightly smaller?

I know these two specs would fit since they are smaller than the full dimensions, just wondering if there is any reason why this would be a problem?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:45 AM

Just want to say thanks for all the help, I've measured about a million times (at least it feels like that) and ordered my axles today. I have two ways I can go; first is to use the Camaro rotor, the second is to use the Corvette rotor. The Camaro rotor looks like it should work with my setup, but I may need to have that .105 machined out of the backing plate to make it perfect. With the Corvette rotor, I would have to space the backing plate out towards the rotor, so no machining. I'll decide when I get the axles and let you guys know what I went with.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:41 AM

Default Update - All Resolved

Just wanted to take a minute to update this with my solution. I ended up using the full Camaro setup (aka LS1 brakes) with the corvette caliper.

I ordered my new axles with a 2.5" offset, which worked out well with the new brakes.

To solve the problem of the Ford style bearing hanging out of the housing end, I took the backing plates to a machine shop and had them remove .105
They made a perfect cut and I like that the seal sits inside a recess rather than a plate sit flat against it.

If someone else decides to run this style brake on a Ford 9" with GM ends, I would suggest getting the flush mount housing ends so you do not have to worry about getting the backing plates machined.

I also reversed the sides so that the calipers are located towards the rear instead of the foward side of the wheel. There is a little more space for the large caliper clocking it this way. Also, this will change the e-brake cable configuration to a forward pull.

The rubber boots on the backside were very well worn and I could not find just rubber boots, so I used the rubber from my old B&M shifter to make new ones. I just cut a slit for the lever, slid over the new rubber, re-attached the factory cover, then trimmed off the excess (I don't have a picture of it).
Attached Images

Last edited by 67rstbkt; 06-10-2013 at 09:45 AM.