Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 04-27-2016, 06:28 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Does anybody have any favorite technique for removing the trunk pan sheet metal from the top of the frame rails? Can't help but think I'm missing a tool that would make it easier...air chisel?
Old 04-27-2016, 08:31 PM

I'm sure one of the body guys will chime in. I used a spot weld removal tool, it goes into your drill and removes one layer of the sheet metal.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:04 PM

at the risk of em-bare-assing myself....spot weld cutter ? with a small hand chisel or dial an air chisel down because they can eat sheet metal when you dont want them to
Old 04-27-2016, 11:14 PM

I did get a rotobroach spot weld cutter set. Truth be told,it isn't like cutting butter, lol. Plus, it seems as if the weld locations are apparent from the frame rail side, which would mean drilling holes in the rails to free up the pan. If that's the only option, ok, I'll deal with extricating the pan from the top via grinders and cutting wheels, it's just a bunch of work!!

I think I need a corded drill, wearing out lithium batteries like crazy on the spotweld cutting with the cordless.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
at the risk of em-bare-assing myself....spot weld cutter ? with a small hand chisel or dial an air chisel down because they can eat sheet metal when you dont want them to
Don't worry, everything about this thread puts me at risk of being embarrassed compared to all the great pro builds and guys with knowledge. But I'm still going for it!!
Old 05-04-2022, 08:12 PM

Gents, hoping for some help thinking through a rear suspension packaging issue. The passenger side watts link mount is leaving very little room for the shock on that side. Attaching pictures below for reference.

The upper shock mount has not been built, so I have some flexibility there. Watts link pars are equal length and offsetting 10 degree angle. Shock is at 20 degree angle.

Hoping to keep the watts link, but I’m struggling here…
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2022, 09:23 PM

Staggered shocks an option? Move one side in front of the axle
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JB400 For This Useful Post:
JKnight (05-04-2022), redfire69 (05-05-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 10:17 PM

Potentially…might make the upper mount situation tricky.

Staring at the picture more, I could drop the watts cradle a bit, maybe an inch before it’s not grabbing enough of the frame rails…
Old 02-13-2023, 05:20 PM

I’ve been remiss in doing updates, which is actually a positive because it means that work is getting done! I’ve made progress in a number of areas that I’ll summarize below.

Rear Suspension – The solution for the shock/watts bars packaging issue was actually relatively simple. Fays2 is now shipping their kits for 1st gen Camaros with 2 of the axle tube clamp-style mounts for the watt’s bars. Alternatively, if you already have an old kit like I do, they will also sell you an additional mount to replace your existing leaf pad mount. Being able to bring the driver’s side mount even an inch towards the center will allow me to move the pass side clamp the same amount and free up more space for the pass side shock. Switching to Ridetech shocks (to match the front) with a smaller diameter shock body helped out with clearance as well.

The upper shock mount fabrication is done. I’m new to welding, as you’ll no doubt be able to tell, but I think it will be strong enough for a non-coilover application

Deluxe Door Panels – The saga of Jeff’s dang door panel is finally over. Al Knoch panels fit much better than the garbage aftermarket replacements I had. There is still excessive tightness between the quarter windlace material and the new door seals, but I’m hoping that will reduce as the rubber breaks in a bit.

Holley Terminator X Max Stealth – ECU location is planned and mount is fabricated. Since this car will likely remain A/C-less (on account of not having wheel wells upon which to rest the A/C lines), I can utilize some of the space that others normally could not. This quick bracket topped with some PVC hobby board will provide a nice flat surface for the ECU and Holley BIM module for the HDX gauges.

Battery Mount – Given my plans to add fuel injection, Vaporworx, Hyperspark ignition, etc., all of which call for power directly from the battery, I decided to go the Optima battery route. I’m hopeful I can make it live through prodigious use of an Optima battery tender. Built another rudimentary bracket/platform to mount the battery that doubles as a way to hold the enclosure for the Vaporworx controller. Once all the wiring is done, I’ll mount it through the trunk floor using bolts or weld it in, not sure yet but I built it to accommodate either option.

Next up on the ever-growing punch list: AAW harness, new fuel line, Baer Remaster install + new front lines, weld-in new trunk floor, gas tank mounts, install gas tank, swap rear housing for Miller Built 9”, then all the rest of the Holley EFI install.
Attached Images

Last edited by JKnight; 02-13-2023 at 05:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JKnight For This Useful Post:
camcojb (02-13-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 02:44 PM

Regarding the Holley Terminator X Max Stealth - I'm laying out the harnesses, generally trying to have a good plan before I really dive in. The X Max will do transmission control, but I went with it (at Andrew B's recommendation) to have the ability to reuse the ECU and still have DBW in the future if needed (LS Swap) even though I'm running a manual trans.

Question: Can I just strip out the VSS from the transmission harness (including de-pinning everything else (OSS, Turbine Speed and all Loose wires) from the J4 connector at the ECU? Is there anything else that the ECU needs, even with a manual trans, that I need to leave?