Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Brakes
User Name
Password

Old 10-23-2009, 12:05 PM

Default Steel caliper mounting bracket

Here is an example of a caplier bracket I made for racing that I forgot to attach..
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
I'm starting with some tapered bearings. Moser should be sending them out today. Thanks for the info on the rear brackets being flimsy. I'll definitely look into that if I'm unhappy after my new tapered bearings.
Todd the tapered bearing will not eliminate the knock-back, but they will survive large lateral loads, unlike a ball bearing.

Also for future reference the moser uses a common tapered bearing used on trucks the SET20 bearing. Napa, autozone, ect.. should carry these

Project: " Chain Reaction "

A.K.A. " BIG " by wife, biatch in garage.

1969 RS Camaro, L92 T56, Chassisworks sub, Quadra-Link, Bear, Ford 9".

Last edited by Bow Tie 67; 10-23-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:45 PM

It should eliminate some of it. I don't expect perfection but feel the roller bearing is causing at least 1/2 my problem. Moser said I won't have any end play with these new axles and bearings. I'll report back next week!
Old 11-24-2009, 09:19 AM

Default update?

Todd-
any updates? I had heard that Wilwood now includes the improved bracket...

Gonzo-
Have those steel brackets proven to work or cure the issue, and do you sell them? How about thos pedals you made for the Wilwood base as well?
Old 11-24-2009, 09:25 AM

Kinda, I got the tapered bearing axles a few weeks ago but they were machined wrong. I took some measurments and sent them back to moser. They paid for shipping each way and the repair. I just got them back last Friday and proceeded to put them in but noticed one of the wheel studs got boogered up in there lathe and now I'm waiting on a stud. I'll be racing Sunday and that will be the true test. There is definitley no end play now in either side. I'll update you guys one I drive and race Sunday.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:43 AM

The new bracket from Wilwood helps but will not cure the problem.. If Vegas 69 gives me all the components that he has for the brake system I might be able to help.. If he was closer we would get this problem solved.. Maybe he will want to take a 5 hour drive!?!??

I have been thing of making these brackets for production..hmmmm

The machined pedals for the Wilwood base will see in the next couple of months in production.. tooling for the forgings will be ordered next week.. You didnt hear that from me though

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohcbird View Post
Todd-
any updates? I had heard that Wilwood now includes the improved bracket...

Gonzo-
Have those steel brackets proven to work or cure the issue, and do you sell them? How about thos pedals you made for the Wilwood base as well?
Old 11-25-2009, 05:45 PM

Default knock-back

Gonzo-
Let me know if you need another test vehicle, as my Camaro will have the Wilwood W4As on the rear with a 14" rotor. I'd say if there is any runout left, we'll be able to find it (but I hope not).

As for the pedals- that's some nice stuff. They'd be perfect anodized black. Like I said before, let me know if you need me to do some beta testing, cuz I have the same base going on my ride.

Todd- Good luck this weekend
Old 11-25-2009, 08:43 PM

I will let you know if I make another set of caliper brackets out of steel.. nice rear brake set up!

The pedals will be coming soon for the Wilwood bases.. from what I have heard the pads will be stainless & offered with different coatings on the pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohcbird View Post
Gonzo-
Let me know if you need another test vehicle, as my Camaro will have the Wilwood W4As on the rear with a 14" rotor. I'd say if there is any runout left, we'll be able to find it (but I hope not).

As for the pedals- that's some nice stuff. They'd be perfect anodized black. Like I said before, let me know if you need me to do some beta testing, cuz I have the same base going on my ride.

Todd- Good luck this weekend
Old 12-07-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Kinda, I got the tapered bearing axles a few weeks ago but they were machined wrong. I took some measurments and sent them back to moser. They paid for shipping each way and the repair. I just got them back last Friday and proceeded to put them in but noticed one of the wheel studs got boogered up in there lathe and now I'm waiting on a stud. I'll be racing Sunday and that will be the true test. There is definitley no end play now in either side. I'll update you guys one I drive and race Sunday.
How did the weekend go? I am waiting with baited breath and a poised pen and checkbook.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:55 PM

It was better but still not fixed. For normal street driving it's fine and an improvement of a roller bearing. Once race time comes around I lose about 2-3 inches of pedal after a couple turns. It's more managable but not what I hoped for when I bought the brakes. If you are getting ready to buy and rear end, make sure it's a tapered setup or even a full floater if you plan to race a bunch. If I knew then what I know now......