User Name
Password

Old 10-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,546 Times in 850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Great pics Marty!

Funny -- my daughter was always out in the shop with me.... My son had no interest at all. Get down in the engine room of the boat (twin 300 hp Cummins turbo diesels) and Adrienne was right there with me - asking "what's that - how does it work" etc.
It's pretty cool when the girls come out and help. Some of our friends kids come over and help me and ask if they can help. If it takes us all day to do one simple job but I am able to teach or show them something that is all that matters.

Funny thing is my 3rd daughter ( not really mine ) is coming over on Saturday to help me put the engine in the car.

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 10-27-2011, 08:27 PM

It's not that cold out, why is Mario wearing a coat?

Looking good!
Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to 65 347 For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (10-14-2021)
Old 10-28-2011, 08:16 AM

LOL - heck it's was 34 out this morning. Maybe he's cold blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 347 View Post

Looking good!
Mike

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 10-28-2011, 02:38 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 347 View Post

Looking good!
Mike
Because those pictures are from last winter and the car is most likely already painted and being put back together as we type J/K Looking good Marty

[SIGPIC]https://neversaynever0304.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/you-didnt-see-anything.gif[/SIGPIC]
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick D For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (10-14-2021)
Old 11-01-2011, 01:53 PM

2nd Chance Camaro - Bringing the 2nd Chance Camaro home

Bringing the 2nd Chance Camaro home
Posted: Nov 01, 2011* www.2ndchancecamaro.com

Good Morning All,

Now that the car is heading home it's time to explain the build of this car. The goal is simple, build a car
that anyone can build using as many bolt on as possible.

Where most people make mistakes is they take on way more then they can handle. I've seen people spend
thousand on the latest and greatest bolt on part only to realize they don't have the time, tool, skills or funds
to complete the project. I've had people tell me they just bought a new subframe and they plan to install it
over the weekend in there garage. A couple months later I find out that they have finally given up on there
project and it's 4-sale for penny's on the dollar.

So my advise is.
Be realistic in what you buy, do you really need it and do you have time & skill to actually put that part on
your car. If you don't have a lot of free time in your life and you want a suspension upgrade. There are plenty
bolt on front end kits available.

Picture Time - Mario cleaning out the inside of the car.

That would be Scott (proTour73) reading a magazine while Mario & I look at the car. Seems Scott already been
down this road and is more interested in the latest issue of Hot Rod.* Just kidding Scott

The car shell looks really nice and there are only a few spots that will need rust & dent repair.

One modification that I can't live without is mini-tubs I want plenty of tire clearance. The plan is either
to run a 295 35 18 or 335 35 18 BFG KDW 2 tire on the back of the car. I am leaning more towards the
295 since the plan is to actually drive this car. Bigger isn't always better plus going to the 12" rim cost
$1000 more and the tires cost about $500 more.

Next Step is to put it on the Rotisserie so I can have Jay at iPro-Tek Powder Coating in Joliet, IL and media blast
the shell. I really want to see what is hiding under the paint and take care of the rust on the underside of the roof.

Last edited by syborg tt; 04-29-2020 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrs69 View Post
Because those pictures are from last winter and the car is most likely already painted and being put back together as we type J/K Looking good Marty
No really Mario is always cold - just kidding Mario

Yep I am way behind at posting pictures.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
2nd Chance Camaro - Cutting out the Stock Wheel Tubs at US Collision

Cutting out the Stock Wheel Tubs at US Collision
Posted: Oct 26, 2011 www.2ndchancecamaro.com

Good Morning All,

Now that the Camaro is at Mario's we can start getting the car ready for the new BF Goodrich KDW2
Tires. The plan for the car is to be street worthy and not look like every other Camaro being built right
now. First and foremost it has to be comfortable to drive and not attract the attention of every Law
Enforcement officer on the road.

Mario did all the work getting the tubs removed and trust me I heard all about how the instructions
sucked and that the DVD wasn't much help either. So I did jump in the car and headed over to his
shop and together we were able to figure out what they wanted us to do.

Step 1:
Trim using the provided templates

Step 2. Cutting the floor.
It doesn't have to be a snug tight fit as the new piece that you will be welding to the floor will take up
some of the gap. Also when you clamp the new wheel tub to the vertical piece it will close up any gap
that may be there. (( Picture will be posted later ))

Mario doing what he does best -- did I mention he called me and my car a bunch of names.

Step 3: Remove Wheel Tub
Make sure there is plenty of clearance to get the new tubs in. That's it - it's that simple.

Step Four: Final Test Fit
Make sure you can slide the new tub in and out easily. If not remove more metal.

Mario did his best to take a couple pictures. Seems Kenny and him are both Experts on the Camera.

Next step is to haul the car to Pro-Tek Powder Coating to for Media Blasting.

All I can say is Mario is a great guy and I can't wait to ride with him to BBT Fab. I am certain that
ride is going to be entertaining.
Well that install seemed easy...

Mick
Old 11-04-2011, 07:30 PM

2nd Chance Camaro - Size Does Matter - Which in the end might not Matter
Size Does Matter- Which in the end might not Matter

Posted: Nov 04, 2011 www.2ndchancecamaro.com

Last week I was looking at the tires stored in Mario's 69 Camaro. I couldn't help but notice that his tire
looked skinny compared to the 335 BFG tire sitting in my garage. I kept telling Mario that my 335 was
much bigger then his 345 and he said no way. So I took his tire home to find out if I was correct. I figured
a side by side test would be the only way to prove that the BFG KDW 2 are indeed bigger.

Left: BFG 335 35 18 ( 14" Wide )
Middle: Michelin 345 __ 19 ( 13" Wide )
Right: BFG 295 35 18 ( 12" Wide )

Close up of the BFG 335 & Michelin 345 -- The BFG is 1" Wider

Close Up of the Michelin 345 & the BFG 295 -- Not much of a difference

The BFG 335 height compared to the BFG 295 - you can see the difference is much greater

Also the height is much taller on the Michelin.

The plan has to been to run the 295's on the street and the 335's for Good-Guys events. In the end I may only be able to run the 295 on the back of 2nd Chance Camaro because I can't get the bracket from DSE.

Why you ask ?
The Mini-Tubs I purchased from DSE will fit the 335's. However, since I didn't buy there complete leaf spring conversion kit I am unable to purchase the front offset sping pocket I need to complete the conversion. Where I am confused is I can buy offset shackle & spring perch's but not the lower spring pocket - odd. I had the Allen (really nice sales guy) ask Kyle if I could purchase them and Kyle said no dice which kinda sucks.

So now I may be forced to run only the 295's full time. So Buyer Beware if buy the DSE Mini-Tubs you are going to have to make your own lower mounts for the front or by one of there 3 kits DSE offers. Sometimes you
win sometimes you lose.

I do have a couple Options

Option A:
Buy there Mini-Tub Kit # 041221 $1699.00 which doesn't include Leaf Springs & Shocks which will give you an 1.5" drop and then sell the other parts you don't need. Seems expensive but it's only money and you can't take it with you.

Option B:
Would be to have a local fab shop make a set of offset shackle mounts to complete the conversion. If I go this route I will make a couple extra to help out the two other guys I know that are in the same boat as me.

Last edited by syborg tt; 10-14-2021 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:17 AM
Supporting Member

That bugs me when places won't piece out their "kits".

Price it to make money (that's what it's all about right?), either people will buy it, or they won't...

I'd probably just make or have the front shackles made. Have you searched the 2nd gen forums? I'd think someone else may have been down this road..
Old 11-05-2011, 08:02 AM
Supporting Member

I found this in another post about the front shackles:

"another way is to just flip sides.

The right pocket goes on the inside of the drivers side frame and visa versa. Make mounts for it and reinforce the floor. You have to move the dif and rear mounts in equally too. A better solution would be running a link type suspension."