Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Brakes
User Name
Password

Old 05-09-2013, 12:42 PM

Default Help with Ford 9" and LS1 brakes

Posted this on PT and here, hoping someone can help me:

Hoping you guys can help me out of this mess I think I created. I narrowed a 9" Ford I had and used Moser 7900 housing ends. These maintain the Ford bearing size while using the GM pattern for the brakes. My plan was to use LS1 Camaro/Firebird brakes. While talking with QT performance about ordering axles, he said:

"I hate to inform you but the ends you need for those brakes are Part # 7900FM. The difference between these ends and the ones you have is the 7900FM are called "flush mount" as they let the axle bearing sit flush in the housing end. The bearing bore is deeper. The ends you have will leave the bearing sticking out 1/8", which is common for the 9" style bolt in axles. The factory 93-02 Camaro backing plate will need to sit flush against the housing end to work properly. One might be able to carefully machine the bearing bore deeper to allow the bearing to fully seat."

I've put way more work into this rearend than I want to admit at this point, all the points for my 4 link are welded on, housing is completed. Any suggestions on how I can salvage this? Can I remove the 1/8" from the brake backing plate? Has anyone else run into this issue? Any advice appreciated
Old 05-09-2013, 12:58 PM

It is acceptable to remove the material from the Caliper mounting bracket.
0.145 deep and 3.155 dia. should get you what you need and allow for bearing preload. This is what we have done in the past for our customer's that ordered complete assemblies with the Big Bearing/3.150 style housing ends.

Wil.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:54 PM

I'm running these brakes on a 12 bolt with 9" flush mount ends. I wouldn't machine it out of the backing plate. Remember, this part was engineered to only attach the brakes. We're asking it do do even more in this situation since the C-clip rear it didn't do any axle retention. Machining out for the bearing will only leave the "retainer" weaker.

Another option to machining the caliper bracket would be cutting a spacer out of 1/8" plate. Quick, simple, cheap.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:56 PM

A couple of other things to ponder. When I did this on my Nova (9" w/GM flange), the rearend had been shortened 1" per side too much. The LS1 calipers are pretty wide (including the brake line connnection, etc) to the extent that they now interferred with the frame. So I went with S10 brakes - the rotors are 1/2" smaller but I didn't consider that an issue for my application. The calipers are much narrower and an added bonus, the e-brake bracket is integral to the backing plate. May not be what you are looking to do but wanted to pass on my experience. -Bob

Old 05-09-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmKenpo1 View Post
It is acceptable to remove the material from the Caliper mounting bracket.
0.145 deep and 3.155 dia. should get you what you need and allow for bearing preload. This is what we have done in the past for our customer's that ordered complete assemblies with the Big Bearing/3.150 style housing ends.

Wil.
Thanks for the input
So what your saying is to remove the 1/8" of material from the center of the backing plate? Would this change the alignment of the rotors to the abutement bracket/caliper?

Last edited by 67rstbkt; 05-09-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
I'm running these brakes on a 12 bolt with 9" flush mount ends. I wouldn't machine it out of the backing plate. Remember, this part was engineered to only attach the brakes. We're asking it do do even more in this situation since the C-clip rear it didn't do any axle retention. Machining out for the bearing will only leave the "retainer" weaker.

Another option to machining the caliper bracket would be cutting a spacer out of 1/8" plate. Quick, simple, cheap.
So basically what your saying is to use a 1/8" piece with a bore to match the housing ends (3.150, I believe?) before I slide the backing plate on? Won't that affect the spacing needed? The stock axles I have right now (for mockup only) are the 2-3/8" offset version. I believe I can get a different offset when I order my axles.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBPanel View Post
A couple of other things to ponder. When I did this on my Nova (9" w/GM flange), the rearend had been shortened 1" per side too much. The LS1 calipers are pretty wide (including the brake line connnection, etc) to the extent that they now interferred with the frame. So I went with S10 brakes - the rotors are 1/2" smaller but I didn't consider that an issue for my application. The calipers are much narrower and an added bonus, the e-brake bracket is integral to the backing plate. May not be what you are looking to do but wanted to pass on my experience. -Bob
Thanks, that's something to consider if I can't get this to work. I already have all the parts, really want to use them if I can.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67rstbkt View Post
Thanks, that's something to consider if I can't get this to work. I already have all the parts, really want to use them if I can.
What I did won't solve your backing plate/bearing issue - you would have the same issue w/S10 backing plate - I was just pointing it out as a solution if you have LS1 caliper clearance issues. Also, I'll see if I took some pics but as I recall my bearing protruded just a little even with the flush mount ends, but nowhere 1/8". -Bob
Old 05-09-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBPanel View Post
What I did won't solve your backing plate/bearing issue - you would have the same issue w/S10 backing plate - I was just pointing it out as a solution if you have LS1 caliper clearance issues. Also, I'll see if I took some pics but as I recall my bearing protruded just a little even with the flush mount ends, but nowhere 1/8". -Bob
Thanks, I got that; If you can post a pic of that so I can compare what mine looks like, that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67rstbkt View Post
Thanks, I got that; If you can post a pic of that so I can compare what mine looks like, that would be greatly appreciated.
Ok, just wanted to be sure I didn't lead you down a path to the same problem. I'll take a look but as I recall it was on the order of 0.030" or so.