Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 01-01-2014, 09:06 AM

Cool

Went the VHX route. Although I like the configurability and loads of data in the displays, I find I don't use the analog speedo. Just the tach. I prefer to have my speedo in the digital display. With my steering wheel, it's tough to see the speedo gauge.
I do the same thing in the new Camaro or Malibu... I set the speedo up in the center digital display. It's just quicker and easier for me to read.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2014, 11:16 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I went for the Dakota VHx as well in my 70. It was very easy to set up with my LS swap, there were some tricky things (such as the tach, i had to use the 4cyl switch as it has something to do with the pulses) but Dakota has great tech support....and pricing was all about the same, i went for simplicity considering the LS swap can be a little tricky at times. Plus my car is silver and blue and their silver backround and blue lighting looks good with the color scheme
Old 01-01-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post
I went for the Dakota VHx as well in my 70. It was very easy to set up with my LS swap, there were some tricky things (such as the tach, i had to use the 4cyl switch as it has something to do with the pulses) but Dakota has great tech support....and pricing was all about the same, i went for simplicity considering the LS swap can be a little tricky at times. Plus my car is silver and blue and their silver backround and blue lighting looks good with the color scheme
Did you use the gauges by themselves or did you get the special PIM or BIM (or whatever the name is) add-on box to run it through the OBDII?
'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4

My '69 Camaro Build Thread
Old 01-01-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBeer-WAN-Kenobi View Post
Did you use the gauges by themselves or did you get the special PIM or BIM (or whatever the name is) add-on box to run it through the OBDII?
im sure he didnt use the module as with the bim module it displays exactly what the the ecm sends it..
Old 01-01-2014, 11:36 AM

I didn't use anything other than what came with the gauge kit.

I put the controller under the dash where the dash speaker used to be.
What I did have to do and I didn't like it, was that any idiot light indication that you want to go to the VHX controller had to be cut, and the wire(s) connected to the controller. High beam, Brake, etc.

In my setup, the only thing the controller gets from the engine is the oil pressure and water temp. But they came with the VHX kit. I don't think I have anything going to it from the ECM or TCM. I could be wrong... the swap was a wiring science project because I kept the original LS engine\trans harness.
I do believe the Check Engine MIL is controlled by the ECM, but I'll have to remember how I hooked it up. The ODBII isn't connected to the VHX controller at all in my setup.

Now that I think about it, I DID wire the E40 computer MIL output to the VHX controller. I get trouble codes, but the CIL doesn't come on... probably because they're not major codes. I'm still learning.

I have to say that the water temp and oil pressure analog gauges are very accurate. As are the digital read-outs. The fuel gauge is another story. Only because that will depend on your chosen fuel tank\sender setup. I set the VHX digital fuel display to blink when the fuel level gets to 10%... then I have very little time to get to the gas station. If it gets to 8%, I'm on fumes.

Last edited by HwyStarJoe; 01-01-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
the BIM box comes with the unit. Basically all your wires go into the BIM box and that has a cat5 connector that plugs into the dash. Pretty easy to do, took me a saturday in the garage....used the schematic from the car, an article from a magazine (super chevy?) and went to town....
Old 01-01-2014, 11:22 PM

I do have the check engine light hooked up to a "port" (OBD2) for diagnostic purposes....and there is a wire or two coming from the ECM feeding the BIM its info...but most of its the analog feed from the OEM stuff...(not counting the sending units that Dakota supplies, more like turn signals, lights, etc..)
Old 01-02-2014, 07:26 AM

I understand what you're saying now... the controller that comes with the kit isn't a BIM. The BIM's are expansion modules for extra gauges\read-outs above what the kit includes.
The BIM's get connected to the main controller.

I like the CAT5 cabling, but you still have to wire everything else in the car to the controller. It was pretty easy once you pick a spot for the controller.
I don't know how New Vintage gauges get wired. One of the reasons I didn't use them is because I didn't like the letter\number colors or back-lighting choices. He said he could change the script color and back-lights any color I wanted for $250 more.
I passed.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Which brand?

I like the combined gauges as well. Less clutter and kind of late model stock appearance.
We have used both the NV and VHX.

The VHX is nice cause you have 1 cable going to the cluster. Anyone that owns a 2nd gen knows that's a god send for servicing.

I do like the stock appearance of the NV gauges over the cheezy looking CF panel of the VHX. Also wiring isn't too bad on either.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 01-02-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@MSperfab View Post
We have used both the NV and VHX.

The VHX is nice cause you have 1 cable going to the cluster. Anyone that owns a 2nd gen knows that's a god send for servicing.

I do like the stock appearance of the NV gauges over the cheezy looking CF panel of the VHX. Also wiring isn't too bad on either.
I like cheese...I'm from Wisconsin.....
'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4

My '69 Camaro Build Thread