Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 02-11-2014, 01:08 PM

I posted a similar question on two other forums, and someone just posted pics of the Dynatech headers in a '69 Firebird with the recommended DSE mounts and 3* trans angle:

I don't have a good machine shop that I've worked with in the area. I'm going to swing by the exhaust shop later this week and see if they have any recomendations. If I mill my current flanges flat, I'll also have to dimple the headers near the PS box even nore in order to get closer to 3* on my trans angle.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
I don't have a good machine shop that I've worked with in the area. I'm going to swing by the exhaust shop later this week and see if they have any recomendations. If I mill my current flanges flat, I'll also have to dimple the headers near the PS box even nore in order to get closer to 3* on my trans angle.
If you did have to dimple them more it wouldn't be much unless the flanges are warped more than I'm thinking and they had to remove a lot of material. I haven't seen yours of course but I'd guess it would be less than 1/16" but you could also use a thicker gasket. I think they make thicker ones like they do for head gaskets.
'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4

My '69 Camaro Build Thread
Old 02-11-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBeer-WAN-Kenobi View Post
If you did have to dimple them more it wouldn't be much unless the flanges are warped more than I'm thinking and they had to remove a lot of material. I haven't seen yours of course but I'd guess it would be less than 1/16" but you could also use a thicker gasket. I think they make thicker ones like they do for head gaskets.
Yeah, sorry, I wasn't very clear with that thought.

I had two reasons for looking at new headers. One is to get the flange to seal, but the other is because I'm currently at a 4* down angle on the trans. In order to shim the trans up another degree, I'll have to dimple the headers yet again.

I'm happy with my ground clearance:
Passenger:

Driver:

But this is what I'm dealing with for clearance:

And here's what I had to do just to get that:
Old 02-11-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah, sorry, I wasn't very clear with that thought.

I had two reasons for looking at new headers. One is to get the flange to seal, but the other is because I'm currently at a 4* down angle on the trans. In order to shim the trans up another degree, I'll have to dimple the headers yet again.

I'm happy with my ground clearance:
I see. What's wrong with 4° though? Are you getting some vibration or having trouble with angling the differential pinion up? I thought that 3°-5° was optimal? I haven't reached the part where I need to set angles yet but that's what I thought I read. Maybe I'm mistaken.
'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4

My '69 Camaro Build Thread
Old 02-11-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBeer-WAN-Kenobi View Post
I see. What's wrong with 4° though? Are you getting some vibration or having trouble with angling the differential pinion up? I thought that 3°-5° was optimal? I haven't reached the part where I need to set angles yet but that's what I thought I read. Maybe I'm mistaken.
I think 2-3* is optimal. I had vibrations initially, but resolved them with 4* pinion angle shims.

I just swapped out my 12 bolt for a Strange 60 (Dana 60). Since I need to reset my pinion angle, I figured now was the time to try to hit 3* on the trans. I need to order a new driveshaft, but don't want to do that until I know exactly where my engine/trans will sit. I can adjust the position of my engine 2-3" forward or back because my engine mounts and trans x-member are both adjustable.

Basically I want to position the engine around the ideal header location, then set the engine/trans angle and pinion angle and order the right length DS. And only do it once.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:39 PM

what are the part numbers on these dynatechs? all the ones i have seen/used for 1st gens have that tube going up and over the box.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 02-11-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I posted a similar question on two other forums, and someone just posted pics of the Dynatech headers in a '69 Firebird with the recommended DSE mounts and 3* trans angle:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@MSperfab View Post
what are the part numbers on these dynatechs? all the ones i have seen/used for 1st gens have that tube going up and over the box.
Vince, I'm not sure which post you're referring to. The top pic with the header's hanging super low are the Dynatech's and they are on someone else's '69 Firebird with the DSE mounts.

The one's I just post, those are not Dynatech's, they are the cheapo no-name ebay headers, Dirty Dingo Sliders, Energy Suspension mounts.

I'm trying to find a reasonably priced header that doesn't hang too low and has decent PS box clearance. I can move my engine forward/back 2-3" with the sliders and adjustable trans x-member, so I'm not locked into just one engine position.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:40 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@MSperfab View Post
Vince, the above is a picture of Dynatech headers installed in my 67 firebird with Hotchkis 2" drop front/1.5" drop rear. Dynatech p/n 715-11410, using DSE mount 060401. The ground clearance is 2.5" to the lowest point on the header.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:40 AM

We @ Speedtech recently test fit our LS subframe headers into a stock subframe with the 6700 steering box. and they fir with TONS of room.
and the road clearance is the best I have seen. the header on the pass side is only 5/8 below the stock subframe. the drive side is about flush.
here are some pics. They are stainless and are 999.00 but they FIT.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-12-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Foster View Post
We @ Speedtech recently test fit our LS subframe headers into a stock subframe with the 6700 steering box. and they fir with TONS of room.
and the road clearance is the best I have seen. the header on the pass side is only 5/8 below the stock subframe. the drive side is about flush.
here are some pics. They are stainless and are 999.00 but they FIT.
Blake, those look great! More money than I really want to spend right now with all the other projects going on. But do you have pics of how they fit around the PS box?