Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Brakes
User Name
Password

Old 11-12-2014, 08:25 PM

Default Master cylinder sizing

I need some input about master cylinder sizing. I had installed an ssbc disc conversion on my 66 plymouth. I have the master still on car that came with kit but size is unknown, but is late 60's master for disc /drum car.i changed spindles to a later year to take advantage of bigger stock rotors and add first gen viper/brembo calipers . I was wanting to change out my master to a wilwood unit and not sure which would be best.what do i need to know in order to choose the right one.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:25 PM

I'd call Wilwood, my guess is they will talk you into a dual master cylinder setup so the front and rear can be changed according to pedal feel. If your wanting to stick with just 1 master then maybe get a master that was for a f/r disc brake car and add a proportion inn valve on the rear line to control lock up.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:54 AM

I have manual brakes and from the research i did, it seems a 1" master is preferred. I figure everyone on here has to setup a brake system at some point so some real world input on what works and what dont is what im hoping to hear
Old 11-14-2014, 09:04 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Tobin at Kore3 would have all the info and parts you'd need.... He's a sponsor here on Lat G and really knows his brakes.

Wilwood 7/8" is what I prefer for MANUAL disc brakes.... but you will also need a proportioning valve if you're running Disc/Disc. That will need to be installed for the rear brakes and they have a kit which has a mount and the valve all inclusive.

Wilwood 1" will give you a softer pedal -- some racer types like the softer pedal for "modulating" the brakes -- but it makes LESS pressure. I prefer a firm pedal on the street and as much pressure as I can make with as little effort.

Make certain your PEDAL is a MANUAL pedal ratio! You need 6 or 7 to 1 ratio in order for these setups to work properly. If you don't know what this is - just google Brake pedal ratio or go on Wilwoods site... they have it well documented.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:11 AM

Greg I think actually the 1" will make the feel harder than a 7/8 bore.
less travel as well. (depending on the ratio of course) we always use a 1" with manual brakes it seems to work well. but a lot also depends on the pads!! and how they grip as well as how you initially break in the pads/rotors. if they get glazed it wont matter what size you have it won't stop well.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:12 AM

+1 for Tobin @Kore3.

He should know the ssbc caliper specs and pressure the 7/8 master will produce.

I'm running 7/8" with a stock power disc brake pedal and pedal effort may be a bit much for some. Ideally a little more leverage would be nice, but not enough to motivate me to pull the pedal out and alter it.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:34 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Foster View Post
Greg I think actually the 1" will make the feel harder than a 7/8 bore.
less travel as well. (depending on the ratio of course) we always use a 1" with manual brakes it seems to work well. but a lot also depends on the pads!! and how they grip as well as how you initially break in the pads/rotors. if they get glazed it wont matter what size you have it won't stop well.

You're right -- I reversed that when typing