Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 11-08-2020, 11:15 AM

Default Rear firewall/fuel cell in 74 Nova questions.

I realize that most racing sanctioning bodies require a metal firewall between the driver compartment and the fuel cell. It seems to me that to achieve this in the strictest sense, I’ll have a lot of work to do closing up all the body cavities. This is particularly true concerning the open spaces between the quarter panel, trunk, sail panels etc. My 74 Nova has a lot of “open paths” for un contained fuel to flow directly into the driver compartment, especially if the car is upside down. I am planning to close up all the openings in the package tray with steel filler pieces welded in. But the massive opening in the quarter panel void and sail panel present a difficult challenge.

How do people deal with this? Fully enclosing the cell itself in steel? I’ve built a steel “can” for a polyethylene fuel cell but was originally thinking I would leave the top open for mechanical and electrical connections. Most aftermarket, true racing cells have a steel lid, I assume this is why?

I’m interested in this from more of a safety standpoint than a “can pass tech” position. In fact, my cell is 22 gal. I think this too large to pass most tech. inspections anyways. I’m building more of a pro-tour themed street car, not a purpose built track car. I would love to be able to compete occasionally if I’m able to get all the safety stuff done right but the primary purpose of this car is to be driven on the street.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2020, 07:54 AM

Have you looked at the regulation of the SCCA racers and even check with the local shops that deal with this.Just a thought.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zspoiler View Post
Have you looked at the regulation of the SCCA racers and even check with the local shops that deal with this.Just a thought.

I haven’t really researched this to heavily. This is the beginning of that process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk