Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
I must not be able to communicate very well.... could be my meds.

I am saying that for 5 years I've been his best man! I didn't know anything until a couple weeks ago -- when people started to talk (behind my back) about my car --- and it's problems -- and that is the start point for me knowing anything "bad" about Ron Sutton Racing. I have a couple friends that had to wait extremely long times for parts and info - but I chalk that up to the usual stuff - busy - not really that important right now - "I'm working on it" -- "I'm writing a book".....
Got it, I read it wrong then Greg. Disregard my post. Thank you for clearing that up.

I read
"Nobody in 5 years has sent me a happy PM saying -- GEE EVERYTHING IS JUST SWELL.... ".

So I thought "man 5 years of bad service that he knew" my apologies.

Last edited by Build-It-Break-it; 08-24-2018 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Build-It-Break-it View Post

I'm more curious as to why zero people have said anything?
Being that I've been around here for a while I can say this is very common. There have been vendors removed with many complaints where not a single one of the affected members wanted to go public. Some didn't want the drama or attacks by the fans of said vendor. Others I felt were embarrassed by what happened. I've had some well known names in our segment of the industry that didn't want to be associated with the issue, didn't want to possibly take a reputation hit. Whatever the reason it's their right to go public or not. I appreciate Greg's willingness to share and take the hit for doing so.

Ultimately I made the decision to remove him, felt like I had enough information to not drag it out further.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to camcojb For This Useful Post:
BonzoHansen (09-04-2018), Che70velle (08-25-2018), DBasher (08-24-2018), DOOM (08-25-2018), FETorino (08-24-2018), Flash68 (08-25-2018), GregWeld (08-25-2018), Ricochet (08-25-2018), slimjim (08-25-2018), Streetking (09-05-2018), Stuart Adams (08-24-2018), Ummgawa (08-27-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 08:11 AM

Well I’ve been building my car for over 24 years. I have used alot of RACE parts in my build. I know that there are certain times of the year that companies/shops (who build RACE parts) are swamped and deliveries go into the months. Just as I have busy times of the year in my business when there aren’t enough hours in a day.
I don’t know Greg but have been told by a trusted few he’s a good guy. prayers to you Greg and your health.
I have a customer that everyone told me not to work for.....you’ll never get paid. I knew the owner and never had an issue with him. Now 5 years later he’s my biggest customer and never an invoice over 30 days.
I trust my own intuition over those quick to tell me the bad in somebody.
Since working with Ron I have had people tell me some crazy stories (second hand no less) of things Ron supposely told them to do this or that. I have been to Ron’s workshops and have learned alot, enough to know what was being said was BS. All of these stories come from other so called suspension experts.
I don’t mind waiting for best parts or advice, just means I have to plan alittle better.
I’ll continue to use Ron for his services/parts and as more people drive my car i am sure more will be looking to Ron for help with their projects.
As far as Lateral G is concerned, the only reason I came here was to read Ron’s posts.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgrmt View Post
As far as Lateral G is concerned, the only reason I came here was to read Ron’s posts.
Me too.

Edit: To be a little more accurate, I do occasionally read some of the technical posts of others, but for the last 5 years I have returned to Lateral-g primarily to check on Ron's posts for the technical information they provide.

Pappy

Last edited by mfain; 08-25-2018 at 10:32 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mfain For This Useful Post:
racerwon (08-25-2018), Rmt (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 10:32 AM

I don’t know for a fact anything that happened, but as far as I understand the removal of the vendor on this site and others was due to much more than just this one build. I would hope if this is the case that the site supervisors used facts. I have to assume they did as I think this build is only on this site?
Old 08-25-2018, 12:29 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter McMahon View Post
I don’t know for a fact anything that happened, but as far as I understand the removal of the vendor on this site and others was due to much more than just this one build. I would hope if this is the case that the site supervisors used facts. I have to assume they did as I think this build is only on this site?

Sadly he's on many other sites pimping like he always has....

I'm not going around to bash him - or tell the story on the other sites. Frankly, he was already "done" to the guys that know anything - they never used him to begin with..... and it was funny how many guys from other sites got on the phone and called me to share.

Seems the only people that used him - were people like me - that don't care to really know all about suspensions (I just like driving and changing the oil) -- or that leaned on him for their projects and just drank the kool aid. People that actually know way more about this stuff to begin with -- knew the true story without ever having to use his stuff. Lucky them!! I just wished they'd have told me!!

BY THE WAY -- the pick up points etc on the SpeedTech stuff he did -- is AWESOME. It's a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT DESIGN. My '65 is AWESOME... so he does know tuning and brakes etc. But that's not building entire cars -- or knowing all there is to know about all these systems. Or even being able to look at wiring and say - That's not how it should be run..... Stick to what you're good at... but DON'T DESIGN PARTS WITHOUT BEING AN ACTUAL ENGINEER.

I've re-read his mia culpa post here a couple times -- thought about dissecting it bit by bit and stating the truth to each BS point - backed up by emails and details.... But what's the point of wasting so much effort now.

I love the part when he NOW says --- "I'm not a car builder....." Really? Got his catalog?? He's the baddest, fastest, most storied car builder race winner of all time! LOL

Now that the car is a disaster --- he says he RELIED ON OTHERS FOR EVERYTHING -- the body (his choice / his source) - The Oiling (his bestest buddies ever)? Knows nothing about it. Didn't seek help until Sunday afternoon. The overheating?? THEY steered him wrong.... The builder? His choice not mine.... Never done this before.... (no kidding!).

My builder of choice -- wouldn't touch the project without about doubling the price Sutton was paying for that labor/product to be completed (about 10% of the retail build price)... and said no way they could do that much in that little time and have it be RIGHT.... Gee! Who'd a thunk that they were right on!!

Funny how he pimps himself as the greatest living race car guy ever -- but the one time he had to deliver - it's a disaster.... unsafe suspension - oil puking, wire melting, overheating POS.... It's all someone else's fault. So then -- what do you really know about building race cars?? Or even managing a build?

Why am I not giving him another chance to fix it? You had to be there (4 days worth).... to see the monkey f'n the football.... and then when I have guys telling me I'm going to die running that suspension --- and others saying even worse.... and your excuse (NOW) is..... it wasn't me..... LOL -- YEAH NO -- you only get to screw me once - it wasn't that good for me to go for another round.

I (lucky me!) can afford to take it to a REAL shop (SpeedTech) and have it all redone. The suspension - the wiring - the motor - the body - the crapwrap...

I gave him all the rope anyone would ever give a guy, and more. My friends were already mad at me for letting him build the stuff they saw in the pictures... but my response is -- this is HIS BUILD -- I'm just ordering what he's got in his catalog. I drank the kool aid... I let him run with it. He just used the rope to hang himself. Now that he's choking -- it's OH SO SORRY. Sorry you finally got caught?
Old 08-25-2018, 01:07 PM

Thru my years in business one thing that always throws up a red flag is anyone that spouts off on money. I heard in CA now you talked about making “x” dollars, now your spouting figures of a personal deal with Ron. Hope someone can make you happy with your car.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:43 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Thru my years in business one thing that always throws up a red flag is anyone that spouts off on money. I heard in CA now you talked about making “x” dollars, now your spouting figures of a personal deal with Ron. Hope someone can make you happy with your car.
The money part is for REFERENCE.... in other words - how tight the relationship was etc. There's a big difference in level of expectations for people at "X" level -- if they don't know what that number is - then there's little anyone could understand about that. In other words -- this is a $200K build -- not a $50K build. It's wasn't a budget build - so what did you think you were going to get on that budget. The numbers by the way - were published as advertising by Ron.

Your kool aid glass is empty.... better get a refill.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:10 PM

The more I read the more I am inclined to call bull****. Sorry I just call it as I see it. Your trying to destory someones reputation and business. First off this $80k loan on a hand shake (didn’t see where Ron disclosed that publicly), I trust my two business partners as much as my family but I still have a buy sell agreement, just good business. All these other peoplle that contacted you about problems with Ron, why didn’t they warn you at the start of the build??? It wasn’t a secret build.
After the test n tune did you sit down with Ron and discuss the problems? Did you give Ron a chance to answer all the allegations your friends claim before you went publc?
Just saying Greg....you can call my a kool aid drinker, but maybe I am just not of one of those buddies blowing smoke up your ass
Old 08-25-2018, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
The more I read the more I am inclined to call bull****. Sorry I just call it as I see it. Your trying to destory someones reputation and business. First off this $80k loan on a hand shake (didn’t see where Ron disclosed that publicly), I trust my two business partners as much as my family but I still have a buy sell agreement, just good business. All these other peoplle that contacted you about problems with Ron, why didn’t they warn you at the start of the build??? It wasn’t a secret build.
After the test n tune did you sit down with Ron and discuss the problems? Did you give Ron a chance to answer all the allegations your friends claim before you went publc?
Just saying Greg....you can call my a kool aid drinker, but maybe I am just not of one of those buddies blowing smoke up your ass
Be honest, you're a personal friend of Rons. You even list him as your referral to this site, and all your previous posts are involved with him. That's fine, but that makes your posts somewhat biased IMO.

I am the one who removed Ron, and not just because of Greg. I was contacted by several guys who had problems with getting parts and having major issues with his suspension design to the point of scrapping the suspension and starting all over. And a couple of these guys know what they're doing, not a case of the customer screwing it up which definitely happens.

You are defending your buddy and attacking Greg, but everything Greg posted is true. I personally liked Ron. But in cases like these where numerous people have similar claims we have to make difficult decisions which always lean towards what's best for our members. Even though it cost me money out of pocket I didn't feel like I could keep him as a vendor on my site.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to camcojb For This Useful Post:
DBasher (08-25-2018), FETorino (08-26-2018), jarhead (08-29-2018), Ricochet (08-28-2018), Ummgawa (08-27-2018)
Closed Thread