User Name
Password

Old 02-06-2020, 12:14 AM

Love that you are back on this!

2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 02-07-2020, 05:12 PM

I so dig this build--good to see it back in action, so a "me too" is in order. It's so cute that you're thinking of interior styling at this point . . .
Old 02-07-2020, 08:23 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Congrats on not giving up on it. Glad to see progress, too.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 02-09-2020, 02:17 PM

Hey guys, yeah glad to be back on it...

Not much to update, got the rack in with the new adapters, all fits pretty well. Ordered Ujoints and DD bar for the steering and some swaged tubes to make tie rods and the rocker struts.

Here is an adapter shot after install... the too short tube hanging out is the tie rod angle
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2020, 02:31 PM

Down shot showing Ackermann angle. I can space it back for more once I see how it is on the track. I am a bit amazed when I see guys use a drag setup for street use or especially track use as most put the rack way out in front which totally jacks the Ackermann up. Not a problem for straight line use of course so fine for drag racing. Anyway, I always run some amount of Ackermann to get the car right for tight corners or it will just plow like crazy.

That said, it is a bit interesting to go to the Indy car museum and see the crazy variations over the decades on Ackermann including negative but most run some amount of gain
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2020, 12:54 AM

Just ran through this whole build over the last 2 days. Great stuff and good to see you've stayed on it over the years and all the moves! Keeps me excited to get going on my project. My '66 Malibu's been permanently in the garage since about 1996 as I've been collecting parts through 2 rear suspension build ideas, drag to track, and collecting parts for every system under the sun. Your design, engineer and build ideas are way ahead of what I can do, but the whole idea is to get it running, on track and having fun driving it. Amazing how fast time flies when life gets in the way! Keep at it!

2002 S-10, Daily Driver and autoX
1966 Chevelle MALIBU ( mine since 1971) Drag car converting to a track car!
Old 02-16-2020, 09:14 PM

Thanks for the encouragement Ric. Hope reading it helps to keep you moving along as well. I think I eluded to this before, but the past couple years I came across Full Custom Garage and actually really like that show as it's just Ian, mostly focused on actual work on a car or project, and no fake drama like the other shows with stupid people saying stupid things with about 10 mins of actual fab content. Unfortunately the latest season is starting to turn as he brings in side kicks but long story short... got me super motivated to just get rolling and trying my own sheet metal work.

So, as such, the joys of buying a used car that had floor pan work... I have NO idea what this tunnel is out of but I don't think it's 66 Nova. The tunnel cover sure as hell isn't. I had no idea it was wrong but the console just would not sit right so I started searching the net for floor picks with a 4 spd. Not actually that easy to get detail but it became clear the hump was totally wrong so I ordered one online. The floor was so hacked I have basically had to graft this new hump to the old one. DAPO strikes again.

Also relocated the mechanism again as I raised it higher now the tunnel makes sense. Getting a little closer each weekend!
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2020, 09:21 PM

Oh, and as for ideas Ric, most of what this build is I have never done before so this is all a bit of "hold my beer" so I say get on the Malibu! I really dig those and like the Novas, love the 66 and 67.
Old 01-23-2023, 07:24 PM

Default bring out your dead!

I'm not dead.... I feel happy! (always need a Monty Python reference)

So, let's see, bought the Nova as a roller about a decade ago, then moved to two different states for a total of 3 moves since then, refurbed a house in one, lived in another a couple years here in Tejas, ended up building a custom house now, so after all that nonsense, finally have room to spread out and get some stuff done. Had a ton of PTO saved up at work and the hammer came down this year to use it, so I took a month off from Dec 6- Jan 9th and made this a full time job, only took off Xmas and the first week for another project I started a year ago on a Pantera. That is a whole nuther deal and I am traveling to CA about every other month and working that deal.

But, during that first week of the thrash in CA I also worked on an all alum Rodeck block setup I started for the Nova. Bought the block 3 yrs ago so that's how that progress has gone as well. Sneak peak but honestly really simple combo with the same solid tappet cam I have in the current engine, just a bit bigger with 3.5" stroke instead of 3.25" like the current engine.

I will be putting a belt drive on it when I am out there next week and hopefully get the heads fully installed and the shaft mounts lashed and ready. Rumor is my intake may be ported and ready as well... we'll see. I have had a hell of a time getting the engine to this point cuz nothing aftermarket actually fits anymore - it all takes a crap ton of work to make fit.

not sure why it shows up sideways here, so just do the confused dog thing and cock your head to the left - it is normally how I am looking at it while I try to get stuff to bolt together.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to byndbad914 For This Useful Post:
camcojb (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 07:28 PM

best purchase ever is the 2-post lift. Here is where I started back around Thanksgiving getting ready for the push. then primary goal was just getting the thing hotwired to fire the engine after it has sat for a decade. so throw some gauges on the cowl, drop a battery in front of it, make noise!

I went thru a whole list of things you should do when something has sat that long and in the end she fired up instantly.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to byndbad914 For This Useful Post:
camcojb (01-23-2023)