Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 10-07-2009, 11:32 PM

Wicked looking shop!!!
i think if it were mine i would maybe do the stripes on the hood with the grey comming off the back of the scoops and the white really thin down the side of the hood center????? if you gotta have the stripes.
but it looks very good.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:35 AM

That's looking great! I have a question, though. I read that the subframe and motor assembly can affect the fender to door alignment. Is this true? I'm asking because I was wanting to test fit my new fenders and my Firebird is on a dolly sort of like yours.

Thanks
Old 10-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thumbs up

That does look really good.
The body of that car looks great.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:55 PM

Thanks for the compliments, and yes I am going to be painting the inside of fenders and such black with a liner. The car will be a driver so it needs some good protection. As far as the alignment issues with the frame, yes it does affect the alignment after you get your subframe bolted up and especially after you get it on the ground with the engine in it. The gaps are close so I am only assembling it to make sure everthing is cool for now and to see it together for the stripes and for a little inspiration. It makes me see the project coming together. I have had this apart and back together at least 4 times. I will get the front frame mocked up with the front end parts on it in a couple weeks and then I will get it rolling with the front and rear wheels in there final destinations. Then I will break it down and do the scuff, stripes, and more clear. I will have a better idea of the alignment but until we acturally drive it I won't be opening the doors very quickly with out watching the front edge!
One thing I can say is to have the fenders bolted up and have them tight every where so you can do the blockin. Other wise it may have some weird waves and things when you bolt them on and they move in shape. I got that advice from a local pro.

Here is the next evolution of the pic for the stripes.....a little crooked but just for brain storming.
the scoop openings will not be black, obnoxious!
The darker metalic on the hood isn't finished just sill trying to get it the way I want.
The light part is staying that way.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:09 PM

Awesome, thanks for the tips
Old 08-26-2010, 10:49 PM

Default "wild Turkey"

Well, I am back to work on the bird. Haven't touched it for months and now I am in full swing since I have no other jobs. Kinda nice, would like to get this done. I decided on the name "WILD TURKEY" for the build. I know it sounds like many bird related names, fire chicken etc.. But this really fits. Me and my brother are probably the biggest private costumer for Wild Turkey 101 proof. In fact this car was concieved with wild turkey in our hands, on the rocks with water of course...

Seriously tho, my brother buys it buy the case. sips on it every night and has a ward robe of Wild Turkey t-shirts. We even toured the distillery.

So here is where I left off, mocking up the tires...

I know some of this build seems backwards but the ebb and flow of money have caused many mind changes in what we can and can't do, not my decisions.
I have started to shape the front end to what I have envisioned. I have always hated the stupid rubber gaskets for the front and the endless adjustments to make it fit, I am building a one piece front now. I will pull a mold off this and make a piece that is part carbon fiber (original bumper) and the rest fiberglass, painted body color. I have some halo/projector headlights and fog lamps to install. I do plan on making more parts off this to sell. Here is the pics so far....

Last edited by zingercustoms; 08-26-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:31 PM

Also I found a way to make the glass have a more modern look. I plan on making all the chrome trim satin black but wanted the windows to be dark on the edges like new cars so the trim doesn't look so stark. I tried and failed to make the black glass primer stick (came of with the tape on the edges) then I remembered something from art class, Etching cream. It gives the glass just enough texture to make the black primer stick better. I did a step by step for any who are interested. I will just illustrate the back window. I went off a new Camaro for reference.

Start by cleaning the glass.

Tape off the front side of the glass (part that faces out)

Flip window over and start the mask.

I laid out tape starting from the edges to keep the same contours as the glass

You can use various sized round objects to get the radius you want....
I went tighter at the top.

Fine line up against the tape and around the lines you mark

Come inside with wider and wider tape and eventually cover the whole center with tape and paper. I taped over the paper since it would get wet later.

Next: pull off the original tape and you have the center nicely masked.

You need to use a glass cleaner without ammonia in it, and clean it good, make sure you get the residue the blue fine line tape left behind. Good lighting helps.

Etching Creme or paste. I got this at a craft supply store, there are probably other brands out there..

Brush on and let set per directions. I brushed it in one direction and went back around and brushed opposite direction. Try not to brush into or under the tape. The radius edges will want to come up, so make sure they are all pressed down good!

Wipe off with water and wet rag and clean again with glass cleaner really well.

Last edited by zingercustoms; 08-26-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:32 PM

leaves a nice dull coat with some tooth..

Here is the primer I used....You can call any auto glass installer and ask for black primer.

Mixed 1/1 with acetone.

Go back and make sure your corners are down, one came up and I had to fix it. You can see the difference in the clean and etched areas.

Tack off

Spray on in 2-3 coats with a couple minutes in between.

Use heat gun to dry last coat.

Peel off tape. Make sure you don't have any rogue etch creme on the stand or on any rags when you take off the back paper. Wipe edges good first and clean back side right away with water just to make sure. I highly recommend having a second stand that is clean and use that to set the window on after you take the tape off, just to be safe.

here is the finished product...

Last edited by zingercustoms; 08-26-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:42 AM

Love the OEM glass work - neatness and detail are very apparent Project name is perfect.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:49 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Looks good guys!!!! You could of used the WILD TURKEY etch the glass