Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 05-05-2020, 03:37 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosesdad View Post
Hi AJ. Wonder your thoughts. After getting my extended rockers and the inners completed... I sort of regret that capped the rocker in front of the tire such that the tire would kick debris towards metal that will be body color. I did think about this while I was building it but didn't worry about it because I had intended on clear wrapping the entire bottom of my car...that was until the PPG guy advised not to do that as it could cause the paint to fail (and the skim coat of filler), since it wouldn't be heat cured.
I plan on making my fender liners cover the ends. I'm also making side skirts so that will keep the paint damage down some too. I don't understand how a clear sticker will cause the paint to fail. GM has them on the trucks from the factory and tons of people put clear bras on their cars all the time with no problem. Maybe let the paint cure first, kinda like how you're not supposed to wax within the first 30 days.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:34 AM

Saturday I got the driver rocker capped off. I'm still waiting on some parts I ordered to finish things off before I can finish boxing in the extensions.

So with the stand still on the fenders I moved to the hood. I got everything measured out and then cut a big hole in the carbon fiber to start mounting the hood vent.

With that out of the way I decided to finish up the metal work on the roof. Some hammer and dolly work to get things banged into place then the shrinking disk to finish things off. I'm going to have my body guy check it out and if its acceptable then I'll weld the inner structure and roof supports back in.

With time to kill still I got the front and back of the spoiler marked to follow the stock spoiler curve and ready to cut out. My band saw blade broke so I'm gonna try and get a new one today.

With the little time I had left I started messing with the hood latch. I didn't buy the cheap knock off one that everyone is selling. I found a clean original Porsche latch on ebay pretty cheap.

Then out in the sun loading up. The rocker being black is hard to get pictures of inside.

Goosesdad (05-12-2020), WILWAXU (06-03-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 02:39 PM

Good progress...

The Following User Says Thank You to 214Chevy For This Useful Post:
CamaroAJ (05-12-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 04:42 PM

Saturday I wasn't planning on working on the car as I was supposed to work. Another guy asked me to swap weekends with him so I wasn't really prepared to get anything done on the car. I did have the wicker bill trimmed up and filed to shape and got that installed. Now it follows the body lines.

Then I moved onto the hood latch. I forgot to cut the adapter plate out so I couldn't finish it up.

[/url]

After that I got started on mounting the HVAC module. I got two of the 3 or 4 mounts done. Some dimple die work and bead rolling to keep it strong and lose some weight.

Beechy (05-18-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 12:06 PM

Nice!!

My Build Thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=53320
The Following User Says Thank You to Goosesdad For This Useful Post:
CamaroAJ (05-19-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 05:11 PM

Saturday I got after it. I had the hood latch bracket cut out and hand filed to match the shape of the hood which has an offset design. Then I got it all lined up and the bracket bolted up. I needed to slightly modify the lower bracket to accept the hood cable, but it all works like it should now.

Hood latch out of the way I got the dash removed and finished up mounting the HVAC module.

Then I got the inner roof structure welded back in.

I finished things up by getting the trunk latch support bracket modified to fit the new floor. I wasn't planning on getting this much done, so I kinda ran out of things to do for the day with the parts that I brought with me to work.

dhutton (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 12:24 AM

Very Nice! They look good.

CamaroAJ (06-04-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 05:32 PM

Saturday I got after the lower fender mounts on the passenger side. I decided to use aluminum angle that will be panel bonded to the carbon fiber fenders. The rockers I drilled large holes so I could feed tubing through with thick washers welded on the end. this let me run allen headed bolts up from the bottom. After I got the passenger side done I started on the upper close out panel. It will be finished welded in and metal worked when I take the fenders off next. I'll try and get more pictures of how I did it on the driver side. I thought I took more then I did.

Beechy (06-09-2020), dhutton (06-11-2020), streetbird (06-10-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 08:49 PM

In for my weekly visit to witness you're metal mastery AJ. Man that hood latch looks great, maybe you need to mass produce it and some other of your fine components to help pay for that build of yours. Now back to our regularly scheduled program!
Old 06-11-2020, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F'in mine View Post
In for my weekly visit to witness you're metal mastery AJ. Man that hood latch looks great, maybe you need to mass produce it and some other of your fine components to help pay for that build of yours. Now back to our regularly scheduled program!
Thank you. There is a company that produces and sells a kit (where I got the idea from), but it’s $450 plus $30 shipping and they use the cheap $20 hood latch. I am thinking about making the wicker bill in carbon and making a few of them to sell a some carbon tail lamp housings I’ve been working on.
RdHuggr68 (06-12-2020)