Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 01-19-2009, 02:15 PM

Default Paint Shop recommendation

I'm looking for recommendations to have my 87 Camaro painted. I would much rather have someone do a better than average job than get ripped off by the local collision shop. I'm near Augusta, Ga if that helps. I don't want to drive further than possibly Atlanta area if possible.

I just got an estimate from the local shop this afternoon - $5500. I guess that's not terrible, but then the guy told me it could be 2-6 months before I get the car back because insurance work gets priority. While I did already know this somewhat, I was not expecting 6 months from what is the largest shop in the area. They wouldn't even adjust the cost if I complete things such as disassembly/reassembly, etc. Hopefully someone will chime in on this - what's a realistic expectation for turn around time? My car needs minor body work (both doors have quite a few dings, but nothing major) and it needs the paint completely stripped because the color is reacting. I have the tools to completely strip the paint and even have a primer gun (that I don't know how to use!). Maybe it's high time I learn? I'm open to suggestions - I really didn't want to spend $5500 on my daily driver. I was hoping for around $3500 on the high side.

Last edited by GeoffP; 01-19-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Supporting Member

it depends on current condition of the car and how much of trim/parts will be removed as well as if you will do the paint stripping,I could probably do it for $3500-4000 if you strip the paint and remove glass,trim,e.t.c. BTW, I'm located in Jacksonville,1 month is reasonable on job like that

[email protected]

Elite Custom Body

1998 Supra APU 6spd
2007 TBSS
1998 GS400TT widebody
1969 Firebird
1979 Firebird LS3,DSE,Baer
1938 Dodge LC pickup
Old 01-19-2009, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the reply. Can you possibly share a some references? I'm really not sure what other questions I need to ask.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:18 PM

You can get it done for around $800.. But they don't take off the parts and trim. Just take all the stuff off yourself, spend $800, and walkaway with a paint job that looks $5000... After working at a body shop, the whole $8000 for a paint job is such bull ****.. It is like $100 in paint and like 10 hours of labor with 2 guys..
Old 01-19-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreySmith View Post
You can get it done for around $800.. But they don't take off the parts and trim. Just take all the stuff off yourself, spend $800, and walkaway with a paint job that looks $5000... After working at a body shop, the whole $8000 for a paint job is such bull ****.. It is like $100 in paint and like 10 hours of labor with 2 guys..
Yea right.................dream on $100 in paint... you are obviously what 16 years old and have never had anything painted you say you worked at a body shop ...doing what sweeping floors??
GSCA#411
BPG #1022
I CHOOSE LIFE!!!!!!!!!!
1970 GS Stage1 (wifes car) 12.78@104 all by herself!!
1970 GS 455-BUZILLA 535 826HP
10.18@133 so far thru the muffs
http://mrbuick.com/CUSTOMERS.htm WORKING ON THE FINEST CARS EVER
Why does it seem everyone has no time to do something right but they have time to do it twice????
Old 01-19-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffP View Post
I'm looking for recommendations to have my 87 Camaro painted. I would much rather have someone do a better than average job than get ripped off by the local collision shop. I'm near Augusta, Ga if that helps. I don't want to drive further than possibly Atlanta area if possible.

I just got an estimate from the local shop this afternoon - $5500. I guess that's not terrible, but then the guy told me it could be 2-6 months before I get the car back because insurance work gets priority. While I did already know this somewhat, I was not expecting 6 months from what is the largest shop in the area. They wouldn't even adjust the cost if I complete things such as disassembly/reassembly, etc. Hopefully someone will chime in on this - what's a realistic expectation for turn around time? My car needs minor body work (both doors have quite a few dings, but nothing major) and it needs the paint completely stripped because the color is reacting. I have the tools to completely strip the paint and even have a primer gun (that I don't know how to use!). Maybe it's high time I learn? I'm open to suggestions - I really didn't want to spend $5500 on my daily driver. I was hoping for around $3500 on the high side.
Whoever does your car there are a couple things that make the job outstanding. First make sure that they use no laquer primers sealers or paint. Beleive it or not some people cheat out and use laquer primer then try to put decent paint over it. It wont last trust me on this one. Todays BC/CC paint jobs are designed to be long lasting finishes. If the metal work is properly prepared and sanded well (speaking as if the car has little to no body repair that is) they should be using a 2 part epoxy sealer, or a tintable catylized sealer under a good BC/CC paint job. Then if they need to sand and polish the paint, make sure they dont use wool pads to do so. Todays paint is better suited to the foam pad polishing. If the paint is of any quality they can do this withing 24-48 hours with no issue. I use PPG products in my shop and it has a better track record in matching the original color. SOme painters like Dupont its all in the shop's opinion. The cost of a GOOD paint job is also reflective on the quality of materials. SOme colors can cost $200 a quart, clear is $290 a gallon + catylist and reducers so this shop that said $5500 is really in line with todays prices of paint as well. When oil went to $140 a barrel all the paint went up 45% then when oil came down guess what .... the paint didnt. Not trying to scare you but on average our completes with body work has a $2500-4000 material bill. Depends on the amount of work done. Of course I havent ever done any cars that "just needed paint" If you can disassemble some of it to save some money I would recommend it. Just remember that you have to bolt it back together without scratching it too. 2-6 months is BS really but every shop has its priorities.
Good luck on your job. Of course I would love to help but Im 1000 miles away.

EDIT: ALso one more thing to concider, make sure they plan to back mask every part of your car so that you dont have to have overspray in the fenderwells, cowl panels, door jams etc etc. The more that is masked back the cleaner the job will look.
GSCA#411
BPG #1022
I CHOOSE LIFE!!!!!!!!!!
1970 GS Stage1 (wifes car) 12.78@104 all by herself!!
1970 GS 455-BUZILLA 535 826HP
10.18@133 so far thru the muffs
http://mrbuick.com/CUSTOMERS.htm WORKING ON THE FINEST CARS EVER
Why does it seem everyone has no time to do something right but they have time to do it twice????

Last edited by racebuicks; 01-19-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:

See Bad Penny run the cones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GUPPIX-92U

1971 Chevelle Wagon - Roadster Shop Chassis ProCharged Shafiroff LS and lots of yada yada

1968 Camaro - Project Track Rat - 440 RHS LS
Old 01-19-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Puff Puff pass.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
I don't think you could get spray bombs from Walmart for $100.

68 Chevy Pickup Project
Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=7505

THANKS TO: A&M Machine and Fabrication, CCTek (http://www.candctek.com), Hermance Design(www.hermancedesign.com), Paradise Road Rod & Custom, Harry Opfer Welding, Wegner Automotive Research, Clayton Machine Works
Old 01-20-2009, 07:34 AM

Thanks for the responses. It's been so long since I had any dealings with a paint and body shop that I just didn't know what to expect. I was somewhat surprised when the guy at the local shop said $5500. I also thought about what I'd been told about this particular shop being high price wise. I know you get what you pay for, but thought 2-6 mo is just wrong. I think for $5500 the car should be in and out in no more than a month tops (but that's just me). I guess it would be different if I didn't know that it could technically be done in a week or two if a couple guys were dedicated to the job.

It didn't help when the guy told me they had an 83 Z28 in the shop that had been there for 6 months and they are just now fitting the doors back (it's not even painted yet!). The guy then proceeds to tell me that the owner will have around $7-8k in it when they're done with it.