Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 01-22-2009, 05:54 PM

sharpe is decent, but iwata and sata are on top of the heap. i would buy a used sata before a new devilbiss or sharpe. but the sharpe will definitely work for you. Its just as you get better and better you will want to perfect everything
Old 01-22-2009, 06:54 PM

I use a pressure cup system made by Matson. I can flip canisters and paint multiple colors all at once. I love it. My painter likes the Sata gravity feed. Its all what your used too.
GSCA#411
BPG #1022
I CHOOSE LIFE!!!!!!!!!!
1970 GS Stage1 (wifes car) 12.78@104 all by herself!!
1970 GS 455-BUZILLA 535 826HP
10.18@133 so far thru the muffs
http://mrbuick.com/CUSTOMERS.htm WORKING ON THE FINEST CARS EVER
Why does it seem everyone has no time to do something right but they have time to do it twice????
Old 01-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70TWO NOVA View Post
anyways...... i was gonna ask what you guys think of the Sharpe brand of guns. The razor model in particular compared to some of the devilbiss or iwata guns?

nothing wrong with Sharpe, except it's about half the cost of Iwata or Sata,they are more higher quality guns,if you end up buyng used gun, make sure it sprays right before paying for it, my brother got screwed a few times buying used Sata guns,I'd rather pay full price for new one than buying used gun,unless it's a steal of a deal

Elite Custom Body

1998 Supra APU 6spd
2007 TBSS
1998 GS400TT widebody
1969 Firebird
1979 Firebird LS3,DSE,Baer
1938 Dodge LC pickup
Old 01-23-2009, 09:04 AM

I may have found a guy local (he's actually my wife's cousin) who has done some paint work on the side. He does fantastic work from the cars I've seen, so I plan to ask him if he'd be interested in doing my car in my garage through final prep and then paint it in a booth. I have a friend in Sandersville that owns a shop that would probably shoot the final spray for me so I'm going explore that route. What I need to know since ya'll were talking about paint brands, what's a good middle of the road paint system to use? I have used PPG products before so I know a little about how they're mixed etc. Is there something that would be comperable price wise that produces better results?

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2009, 09:48 AM

Good news for me. I called the friend of mine in Sandersville and after talking to him for a few minutes he said he could probably do the all over paint for about $2000. I'm thinking he quoted me a little low, but still think it'll be less than $3500 or so. The bad news is that he's so booked that it'll be at least 2-3 weeks before he can start on it. I figure I've waited this long, I can wait a little longer. When I asked what paint system he uses these days, he said it's a German company. It's funny because my 95 Z28 was the first car he painted with that German paint 10 years ago when we was first trying it out. (at least it's funny to me!) I'm probably going to go with him since I know what kind of work he does (he's the one that painted the car almost 15 years ago - man I'm gettin' old!). He's a good guy so I know he'll do me right. I'm excited - it's been awhile since I had a nice looking car to drive.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:24 AM

can you put up pics of the car your painting
Old 01-23-2009, 12:22 PM

I'll do my best to get some up this weekend. I haven't been able to this week because of the weather and it getting dark so soon after I get off work.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comp-spec View Post
This is the only place a D/A belongs on a finished car

x2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2009, 02:12 PM

DOH - Crappy weather keeps preventing me from getting pics of my car. It's raining today here so probably won't have any posted today either. Imagine this - the clear is peeling up in sheets because of the base reacting (it's literally falling apart under the clear). Whenever it rains, I end up with more and more clear peeling up. All the horizontal surfaces are just about completely peeled up with only the base left on the car (if this helps at all). The good news is that it should really make getting the clear off easy. I am guessing a trip to the car wash pressure washer will probably blow most of the clear right off the car. A razor blade may get quite a bit off too. I haven't tried that yet either.

Right now, I'm shopping for a new or good used rear bumper cover (mine is wavy) and a new hood, probably ASCD SS hood or something similar. I already have a new front chin spoiler and the rest of the GFX are in decent shape, so no need to replace them.

I'm also looking at a set of C6 Corvette 18/19's for it off e-Bay. The car should look pretty nice when I'm done.