Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 05-26-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Foster View Post
OH I GET IT!!!
I am a tight ass, trust me that is why I have to do it myself.
Me too. That is why I use Southern Polyurethanes paint to keep the cost of materials reasonable and have a DIY paint booth in my shop. No one to blame but myself...

Don
Old 05-26-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Me too. That is why I use Southern Polyurethanes paint to keep the cost of materials reasonable and have a DIY paint booth in my shop. No one to blame but myself...

Don
And to be honest I am a tight ass when it comes to customers jobs! I HATE waste!!! HATE IT
I am consistently on the guys to hurry up. we are not building Riddler cars here!!
Old 05-28-2015, 09:01 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Foster View Post
WHY to people insist on taking their custom paint jobs to Body Shops that do insurance work????
If you stop to look at the dynamics of a body shop why WOULD they work on your car.
Here is the model. insurance claims are FLAT RATE. your car is by the hour.
body guys that do insurance work are not interested in making an hourly wage they want to make 2 times that and that is how flat rate works.
Plus I doubt a flat rate guy could even concentrate or stay out of the drug pile long enough to align your door (if he even knows how) let alone finish an entire car.
Just the way it is, I have seen it for 20 years and it AIN'T GONNA CHANGE. There are plenty of custom shops that DON'T do insurance work. Find one and take your car there. Will it cost more? probably, will you get a better job? FOR SURE will it be done faster? probably.
When we do body /paint I work on 1 or 1.5 cars at a time. start to finish. We did a 69 Camaro last year from bare metal to polished in 4 months. stripped, top, bottom, inside and out. I am sure that is not a record of any sorts but you get the idea.
Here is the down side for the customer. It needs to paid for in 4 months, and on that car that was about 40k. so 10k a month, may not be for everyone. As a shop I also don't want to be on again off again on the job because them I'm not making money, the start and stop just kills the profit.
I feel for you, sucks to have to deal with it, but that is my view on the issue.

For anyone going forward the moral of the story is ............. Don't take your custom paint (complete repaint) to a body shop. just don't do it!
Blake is 100% correct here! Your car will never be a priority at a collision shop. I can put 4 to 6 cars out a week at a average billing cost of 6 to 7 thousand dollars per car. What car am I going to worry about first? Hell my car is in paint jail as we speak because I'm having it done at a collision shop MINE!!!!!!!!! DON'T BRING YOUR CAR TO A COLLISION SHOP FOR RESTORATION !
Old 05-28-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
Blake is 100% correct here! Your car will never be a priority at a collision shop. I can put 4 to 6 cars out a week at a average billing cost of 6 to 7 thousand dollars per car. What car am I going to worry about first? Hell my car is in paint jail as we speak because I'm having it done at a collision shop MINE!!!!!!!!! DON'T BRING YOUR CAR TO A COLLISION SHOP FOR RESTORATION !
Nice to see the warden doing time in paint jail...

Don
Old 05-28-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:

Don
Thanx Don
Old 05-28-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:

Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
Thanx Don
More like the inmate's running the asylum!

You're welcome Mario

Old 05-29-2015, 11:51 AM

got a call from the body shop, They were concerned about my OER one-piece spoiler.

Said it was real wavy and a few coats of primer wasn't enough to block it level.

He said he didn't know how picky I wanted to be with it. I just told him I'll pick it up after work today and work on it this weekend.

I'm sure it's nothing some filler and blocking won't fix. But I'd rather make it look the way I want it

He said they have the fenders and body done, hope to be getting some paint on it next week
Old 05-30-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976camaroguy View Post
got a call from the body shop, They were concerned about my OER one-piece spoiler.

Said it was real wavy and a few coats of primer wasn't enough to block it level.

He said he didn't know how picky I wanted to be with it. I just told him I'll pick it up after work today and work on it this weekend.

I'm sure it's nothing some filler and blocking won't fix. But I'd rather make it look the way I want it

He said they have the fenders and body done, hope to be getting some paint on it next week
So they body work the entire car and there worried about a spoiler being wavey????? I don't know how far your into this deal but I would get my car out of there as fast as possible!!
Old 05-30-2015, 09:08 AM

Thumbs down

Another sad sign if you have to bring parts home to finish because the shop "doesn't have the time". If they don't have time for a spoiler, what makes you think they have time to put 100% into the rest of your car? For whatever reason you stay committed to this shop, I hope others see this and the other post (over at PT) and learn from others mistakes. Good luck getting the car finished.
Full of DSE and Holley parts
Old 05-30-2015, 09:29 AM

Yeah it's a good learning experience, I hope others can learn from my mistakes too. I didn't post the spoiler pic for thumbs up...I knew someone was going to pick out the obvious and call out on it

That's why I keep these threads alive, to show people what not to do lol

Last edited by 1976camaroguy; 05-30-2015 at 09:34 AM.