Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 09-30-2018, 10:30 PM

Default Gapping Doors

I have a question about setting gaps and placement on the doors for my 69 camaro. I’ve removed the doors and hinges. Hinges got blasted, rebuilt and sprayed with epoxy sealer. The door jamb has been stripped and sealed. I’m getting ready to get all the gaps and placement as perfect as I can and I’ve got a plan that has one hole I can’t figure out. When I take this all apart to paint the door jamb and hinges won’t the thickness of the paint on both change how everything fits or is this not going to be a noticeable issue? If it will change everything what are some tricks to accounting for the extra thickness. I thought of putting layers of masking tape between the pieces to simulate the thickness of the paint but I’m guessing on mil thickness? Is this a dumb idea, a good one, or is this not anything I actually have to consider? Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scubachef For This Useful Post:
b.ski (10-02-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubachef View Post
I have a question about setting gaps and placement on the doors for my 69 camaro. I’ve removed the doors and hinges. Hinges got blasted, rebuilt and sprayed with epoxy sealer. The door jamb has been stripped and sealed. I’m getting ready to get all the gaps and placement as perfect as I can and I’ve got a plan that has one hole I can’t figure out. When I take this all apart to paint the door jamb and hinges won’t the thickness of the paint on both change how everything fits or is this not going to be a noticeable issue? If it will change everything what are some tricks to accounting for the extra thickness. I thought of putting layers of masking tape between the pieces to simulate the thickness of the paint but I’m guessing on mil thickness? Is this a dumb idea, a good one, or is this not anything I actually have to consider? Thanks.
Negligible impact imho.

Don
Old 10-01-2018, 12:53 PM

Thank you.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:30 PM

Not worth worrying about. The paint thickness should not be enough to affect the gaps.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:58 PM

A typical car's complete factory paint system, IE ecoat, primer, base coat and clearcoat is typically somewhere between 100 microns and 150microns thick. That's .004 to .006 inches thick. Even if you doubled that, you'd be looking at barely .01 thick. Negligible.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:14 PM

Thanks all for the replies. I’ve got everything stripped and metalwork done now gotta get the doors hung and start fitting them!
The Following User Says Thank You to Scubachef For This Useful Post:
572Camaro (12-23-2018)