Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Introductions > Member/Project/Vehicle Introductions
User Name
Password

Old 08-28-2009, 11:44 PM

Default New Member, 67 rs Camaro

Hey guys, I'm new to the whole forum deal. I don't get on the computer much, but I'm going to make an effort to get into one of these forums. I recently aquired a 67 Camaro, real rally sport 4 spd car. Original drive train is long gone. Has a 70 corvette motor in it, with some off the wall turbo 350. I'm at a loss as to what to do with the car. Go back to 4 speed and keep it carbed, or maybe find a wrecked late model camaro or firebird with a 5 or six speed? Disc brakes or stick with drums? Build it stock or sort of "resto-mod"? Resto mod is a term I use reluctantly. When I think of resto mod, I think big wheels, low profile tires, and custom interiors. That's the kind of stuff I don't care for. I can appreciate it, but I just don't like it. So my version of the resto mod would be simple, newer drivetrain in an older car. The whole build hinges around whether I can find a correct motor for the thing. The engine will probably determine the tranny. I just don't really know what to do with it yet, so for right now, I'm just tackling the sheet metal. I'll figure the rest out later, but I'm open to thoughts, comments, and suggestions.

I'm sure everyone has given their own projects this particular look before:
I call it the "WTF do I do with this thing now?" look.

Since I'm not really familiar with the rules regarding pictures in a thread, I'll leave it at those two, and put a link to my photo bucket.

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/b...amaro/?start=0
Old 08-29-2009, 12:20 PM

Welcome, you joined the right forum. There are plenty of top notch builders here who are willing to help out. Nice project, sheetmetal is definitely fun. Lots of people are doing the LS/T56 combo on first gens. If you keep an eye on the For sale section, there's a vendor on here who regularly posts low mileage drivetrain swap outs. The last I saw was the engine/trans combo with computer out of a new Pontiac G8.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Looks like a fun project!!

Check out eBay -- and search 69 Camaro - then look at CAMARO X -- it's listed for sale on there now.

The reason I say that is because it might be the "resto mod" look you're seeking. It's a modern drivetrain (LS7 and 6 speed plus much much more) but keeps the stock appearing interior and exterior with minor mods (race seats in this version)... and pretty "simple" straight forward car.

I love the WTF look!! Been there, done that!! Cutting is so E A S Y and so F A S T -- then the real work starts!
Old 08-29-2009, 04:24 PM

"I think of resto mod, I think big wheels, low profile tires, and custom interiors. That's the kind of stuff I don't care for. I can appreciate it, but I just don't like it"

Welcome Scott, who knows you hang around here long enough you just might start liking Resto-mod,pro-touring cars. They are alot nicer driving than stock cars, better brakes and suspension,but to each their own and again Welcome!!!

Last edited by 71RS/SS396; 08-29-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:10 PM

Welcome! I had the EXACT same look, "WTF do I do with this thing" LOL!!!

You said you were open to suggestions so here is mine. ( I might be biased though) Big block, 5 or 6 speed, brake upgrade, suspension upgrade(both for comfort and performance) and keep the body and interior stock. Maybe even find a set of ralley wheels for a bigger tire than stock. Go with a factory type paint scheme. Then drive the hell out of it.
You would have a fun, fast comfortable and safe car that keeps the original looks intact and performs way better than a stock one ever could.

Just my .02.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:12 PM

Welcome,id go the Ls 2/3 then work from there..
Old 08-30-2009, 11:42 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs View Post
Welcome! I had the EXACT same look, "WTF do I do with this thing" LOL!!!

You said you were open to suggestions so here is mine. ( I might be biased though) Big block, 5 or 6 speed, brake upgrade, suspension upgrade(both for comfort and performance) and keep the body and interior stock. Maybe even find a set of ralley wheels for a bigger tire than stock. Go with a factory type paint scheme. Then drive the hell out of it.
You would have a fun, fast comfortable and safe car that keeps the original looks intact and performs way better than a stock one ever could.

Just my .02.
Sounds good.
Throw in a set of DSE mini tubs as well though for those meats in the rear to hook up from all that power from the big block!! lol
Old 08-30-2009, 05:14 PM

I think the best way to find direction is to ask yourself: "How am I going to use this car when I'm done?". The next question is always relative: "How much am I willing to spend?". From there, let your fingers do the walking through the catalogs and keyboards of this forum. I doubt anyone ever stayed within their original plan or budget but it usually sets the direction. Above all, have fun with it.

Good luck.

P.S. I changed my direction three different times but finally settled on one: Quickie paint and V8 swap; Fuel Injected RS/SS clone; and finally restomod. Of course that's why it's taking me so long to get it on the street.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:31 PM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfixit View Post
I think the best way to find direction is to ask yourself: "How am I going to use this car when I'm done?". The next question is always relative: "How much am I willing to spend?". From there, let your fingers do the walking through the catalogs and keyboards of this forum. I doubt anyone ever stayed within their original plan or budget but it usually sets the direction. Above all, have fun with it.

Good luck.

P.S. I changed my direction three different times but finally settled on one: Quickie paint and V8 swap; Fuel Injected RS/SS clone; and finally restomod. Of course that's why it's taking me so long to get it on the street.
TOO FUNNY and TOO TRUE!!

I'm on my second chassis - 4th motor - air bagged then coil overs... That's why the 'hunting and the gathering' are just as much fun as the rest of it.