Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Introductions > Member/Project/Vehicle Introductions
User Name
Password

Old 04-04-2011, 12:17 AM

Default Out with the new in with the old-69 Camaro

Well guys how can i start this? Im not new to this forum but its been a while since i posted. I currently had a 1972 Camaro wich i built in my 2 car garage. Painted top and bottom frame of resto mod.
My storie goes way back when my parents came to the U.S and my dad got a 69 camaro from a friend at moms work. That car was part of my life till i turned 18 when i got handed over the keys as a b-day gift. It didnt take long before i totaled that 69 in 11/21/89. I almost died in that car and the worst part was i felt like i killed a long time friend. You dont even want to ask what happened . You can also imagine what my parents went through too. For me atleast lol... Fast forward 2 yrs later and i buy another 69. You can say it was in my blood. Because of that car i learned how to paint and restore cars. I bougth that 69 needing everything and over the years i did everything to it. I was like most swearing i would never sell it. Then in 2007 when the housing market started to fall i sold the car to try and help out clearing out other bills but in the end we failed. Following 1 yr I bougth a 65 chevelle and worked on that frame off resto and sold that to buy the house we have now. with the little money i had left over i bougth the 72 and have been working on that for 2 yrs now. I love that car and how it was coming out but every time i would see a 69 my heart just skipped a beat. I couldnt denie it . I Missed my baby.... So i got this aportunity to get a 69 again but i had to sell the 72 to get it. It was a tuff decision knowing i had to start all over. It was not easy but in the end i went with my heart and sold the 72 and got my babie this weekend !!! Can you tell im excited
The car needs alot of work but the funny part is this car is the exact same way the 72 was in the beggining. The hard parts are the rust spots. Front lower windshield. and back lower windshiled all the way across the valance. The mayor rust area was in the trunk were the previous owner cut out. Now i have to do the finishing job. The lower quarter panel behind the tires. The typical camaro areas that always need replacing but the floors, doors and everything else are in great shape.
At this moment i dont have special plans for it rather than tearing it apart and start working on it. My wife nick named it "Frankenstien" do to the green paint. I can tell you it wont be green at the end. It will be Hugger Orange with black strippes and a black vinyl top[RS/SS clone].The way i wish i could have done to my last 69 before i sold it. So guys wish me luck and ill post as i go along but its going to be very slow. I invite you to come check out my photobucket for my last projects and the progress on this one...
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2011, 12:19 AM

More pictures:
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2011, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Cool, keep us posted.

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 04-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Looks like you got a real project there. Congrats on the swap. The 72 looked great in the p-bucket album, btw!

Old 04-05-2011, 09:44 PM

Nice ob on the 72. It will be fun watching this one get done.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:31 PM

Thanks guys. Ill keep it posting as i go along. Rigth now im in the process of tear down and cleaning and also looking to see what migth be hidden
Old 04-05-2011, 11:39 PM

Good luck with it man. I can appreciate your obsession with the 69 camaro. often times I do think of how "over done" the car is and consider wanting to build something else (never selling this car but making it a back burner and making something else) but it's still just my "favorite." It will never be "just another 69 camaro" to me.

Keep up the good work!

William
2018 GMC Denali HD
Old 04-06-2011, 09:03 AM

William,
After having my 69 camaro for 17 yrs after a while i felt the same way you did. The mistake i did was sell it. What ever you do dont sell it cuz if you do the itch will return for sure .Especially if the car was your first car ever and having it through college and all those years, I did build something else afterwards. 2 projects as a matter of fact but the camaro was allways on my mind. I never expected the prices to go so high too. I often felt that i migth never get a chance to get another one.Now here I am starting all over but this time i do have the heart to tear this one down and do what i allways wanted to do to my last 69. Anyways stay cool and chat with ya later...