Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 12-29-2013, 05:09 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

I've said it in 50 different welding threads -- if you can't see -- you can't weld. Period. You have to be able to see what you're doing. But then again -- I'm kind of an equipment kind of guy.... the right stuff for the right job.

There's 4 different helmets - used for different things... A couple of them (the ones hanging on the TIG machine - are capable of lower settings -- so I can TIG at very low amperage and still see...

One of the helmets on the MIG machine is set up more for sheet metal tacks if I don't just want to close my eyes.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:11 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Thanks Robert, I'll keep that link if it looks like I need to upgrade.

Greg, it's all good, appreciate the help. It is really all about feel...and seat time so to speak. I don't plan on doing a bunch of fabrication but it is nice to be able to put down a good weld in a pinch without a bunch of trial and error.

I'm planning in my head some chassis strengthening and bracing options that may be a product of some practicing... Two birds one stone kinda deal.

Building stuff - or being able to do a job yourself is FUN! I don't care what anyone says. I love being able to just fix something!
Old 01-08-2014, 01:14 PM

Default Fab53 MIG weld

Lurker and I just though I would contribute.

For you MIG lovers, welding out of position upside down. (TIP: reduce wire speed 25% and increase heat to the next level above the metal that is being welded. On the up-right start at top and go down and pause every 2 beads just enough time to let the red fade before starting next 2 beads down. On the over head, use a skip back pattern after burning in each bead. On the over head you will need to speed up and keep an eye on the melted pool so it does not get to big and sag or drip). This shot of the weld shows it after it was just been wiped down, I used an Anti-Spatter spray prior to welding.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67zo6Camaro View Post
Lurker and I just though I would contribute.
What a hack job!

Bret - Beautiful work! Thanks for the setting advice too.

I would really like to see a video of you running simple bead on flat work......in your spare time of course. Set a GoPro up!