Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 08-30-2019, 12:50 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris@JCG View Post
Very impressed with your work AJ!

Cris, You impressed ! Just think how us regular humans feel!!

CamaroAJ (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 05:07 PM

Thanks guys.

Saturday I got the passenger outer tub almost done. A little more grinding on the front side and its done until the quarter is ready to be welded on. I'm going to leave them removable for the time being so I can get to the back side of the structure for things I have in the works later.

After I finished up the tub I started some rough mock up to get a visual of how things need to go for the new package tray/filler panel. I have a lot of room at the bottom so I can hide modules and fuse blocks behind the seats.

Kris Horton got the wide body mods and wheels finished up on the render as well. It doesn't looks it, but thats 2" wider than stock.
Attached Images

syborg tt (09-30-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 05:18 PM

Last week parts started to roll in and even more parts were bought SO we have a long update.

Lets tackle the parts list of whats here and on the way. There have been a few member on here reach out after reading my build and hooked me up with parts they decided not to use and help save me a bunch of money vs. buying new at full price or they got a deal and passed it on. Thats awesome that people still do that and support each other on here

For the parts lets start with the transmission. It's a low mile C7 Z06 TR6070 7 speed with the cooler pump. I wanted this because its 1 3/4" longer than the T56 that I have. I have 3.5" to make up from stretching the wheel base in the car to fit the Camaro platform and that took a big bite out of it.

Because I plan to make some power I know the C5 diff. is weak and I also wanted a diff. cooler. So I was able to locate a C6 Z06 rear diff. to handle power transfer duty.

I've always wanted the C6 ZR1 brakes. I had them on my '15 Z28 and liked them and it was cheaper to buy them used than new aftermarket stuff. I'm running ABS so I should be ok tracking them with the brake coolers I plan on making.

To get the ghosts of horsepower past out of the engine and flowing to the rear I picked up a set of Stainless Works 2" C6 Z06 headers from a member here. These and the trans were both guys that reached out here.

Parts that are on the way I have a 2006 C6 Z06 torque tube. The early C6 tubes were longer with the T56 and shortened up about 3/4" on the later C6 when they switched to the TR6060. The C6 TT and a C6 bell housing combined with the 7 speed bring me to 3.6" longer than the C5 driveline which is well within tolerance of the GM bolt holes.

I have the crank on order for the engine along with the ZL1 Camaro supercharger lid with a reinforced brick. Hoping to get the engine together so thats one less project to get done.

Now lets talk about the last part that showed up and progressed the firewall this past weekend. The 3 gallon dry sump tank. I wanted to put the tank in the tulip like Mark does, but the Vette frame takes up a lot of that area. So I moved it inboard some. It looks like I gave up a lot of foot well space, but you can see how much of the floor I hard to cut out. This is also the area GM put the fuse block and BCM so I actually lost no room at all. New firewall and the oil tank are mounted. I can now finish up the firewall on the passenger side and get the Vintage Air bulk head mounted too. I'm still trying to figure out were to put the breather. It might go where its pictured or on the other side. The plan is to make a cover to close out the tank area and help protect it from the header heat. I also still have plenty of room to mount the full size Vintage Air IV Magnum over the trans tunnel so my glove box will actually be full size.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2019, 11:19 PM

Looks amazing. What VA system are you running?

72 Chevy Nova in pieces trying to rebulid this bucket of bolts (really just a labor of love)

Crew Chief's: Helping pilots get laid since 1947
Old 09-10-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ssnova View Post
Looks amazing. What VA system are you running?
It will be the Magnum IV or whatever they are calling it. Its hot in Texas and I like to keep my cars cold so I want to put the biggest system I can into it.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroAJ View Post
It will be the Magnum IV or whatever they are calling it. Its hot in Texas and I like to keep my cars cold so I want to put the biggest system I can into it.
Oh I know a couple more years in the USAF and back to the great State of Texas! Looking to move to the Lake Travis Area. I need to look into the system I will need AC. Great job on the build.

72 Chevy Nova in pieces trying to rebulid this bucket of bolts (really just a labor of love)

Crew Chief's: Helping pilots get laid since 1947
The Following User Says Thank You to 98ssnova For This Useful Post:
CamaroAJ (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 10:43 AM

Saturday was a busy day. Started out with finding out the ZR1 brakes don't fit the 19x10 79 offset test wheel I have. I found after googling that its common for them to not fit cheap knock off wheels so I'm waiting to hear back from Boze to see if they can help make it work.

With that buzz kill out of the way I got the roof skin from a 2019 Camaro cut down and the roof of the '69 cut out and the two lined up ready for finial fitment and welding. I was really surprised at how well they lined up without any mods or metal working.

With the roof on track I wanted to get back to the firewall so I can get it done. I got the breather tank and the HVAC bulkhead mounted so it's ready to focus on finishing out the metal fab. I cut out the old vent hole and made a new filler panel to line up better with the new frame and old body and wasn't all beat up. On the inside of that I made another panel to close out the interior of the car. Up top I used the english wheel to shape the curve panel so it wasn't a bunch of flat pieces welded thrown together. I'm pretty happy with how its coming along. The plan for the area is a removable tulip panel so I can get in and seal and paint it and possibly put something else in there. Out by the oil tank I want to build a close out panel to block the heat from the headers and dress up the engine bay some.

I work next Saturday so no progress for a few weeks sadly. My torque tube and rear cradle are supposed to be here soon, so I should have all of that to mock up next time I work on the car too.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2019, 06:06 PM

Love that roof mod. Where is that piece from or is it custom?

Old 09-17-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214Chevelle View Post
Love that roof mod. Where is that piece from or is it custom?
‘16+ Camaro roof skin.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroAJ View Post
‘16+ Camaro roof skin.
That's what I thought. Very nice addition!!

The Following User Says Thank You to 214Chevy For This Useful Post:
CamaroAJ (09-18-2019)