Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 03-24-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernhemi View Post
Hi guys
First post here on Lat G, was going to save it for when I start my own project in the next few months. However I thought you might like these.

I do a lot of tig work in my job, my local welding supplier gave me these goggles to try, after I used them once I wouldn't give them back.
Auto switching to shade 13
Good quality and come with a fire retardant balaclava so you don't end up with a Raccoon tan line on the face.

Great for roll age work or any job where a helmet restricts head access.

Been gaining inspiration and knowledge from here for years now, I even feel like I know some of you guys by now!

Ben
I want those goggles!
Old 03-24-2013, 11:12 PM

Welcome Ben, those goggles are very cool........do they have magnifiers for them?

Look forward to your contributions.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:44 AM

Practice practice practice..........about 40 2" beads and 3.5 filler rods tonight.

Only 4 tungsten grinds!

Last edited by Sieg; 03-26-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:04 AM

looks good, can't really gauge the tempsfrom the pictures but some look consistant. how fast are you moving between?

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 03-27-2013, 05:41 AM

Thanks for the welcome guys.

If anybody is interested on the goggles they are made by Servore and called ARC-513. You can get a clip in peice that prescription lenses fit int, I guess these are making for the old guys.

Greg, I'm not sure I am a real welder. I'm self taught with 20 years practice. I was 15 when I picked up my dads AC/DC tig. Nobody in his shop could use it so I had to work it out myself. I had nobody to teach me, no Internet for YouTube or forums and it was an Italian made machine so the instructions wernt even in English. Pretty steep learning curve.

Sieg, the ones on the right in the second pic are pretty good, before the heat builds up. Maybe try a smaller filler rod so you don't need as much heat to flow the filler into your pool. Sometimes I cut .8mm mig wire for the really tight joints. The heat is building up in your material which makes it hard to not burn the stainless as it goes in. Unless you drop your amps right down. Weld two pieces together, let them cool down before you weld to the side of it again. Fist ones look good but that heat build up is a killer without a pedal. Practice practice practice, it's only going to get easier.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@MSperfab View Post
looks good, can't really gauge the tempsfrom the pictures but some look consistant. how fast are you moving between?
Say - puddle dab puddle dab crap puddle dab puddle........about that fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernhemi View Post
Thanks for the welcome guys.

If anybody is interested on the goggles they are made by Servore and called ARC-513. You can get a clip in peice that prescription lenses fit int, I guess these are making for the old guys.

Greg, I'm not sure I am a real welder. I'm self taught with 20 years practice. I was 15 when I picked up my dads AC/DC tig. Nobody in his shop could use it so I had to work it out myself. I had nobody to teach me, no Internet for YouTube or forums and it was an Italian made machine so the instructions wernt even in English. Pretty steep learning curve.

Sieg, the ones on the right in the second pic are pretty good, before the heat builds up. Maybe try a smaller filler rod so you don't need as much heat to flow the filler into your pool. Sometimes I cut .8mm mig wire for the really tight joints. The heat is building up in your material which makes it hard to not burn the stainless as it goes in. Unless you drop your amps right down. Weld two pieces together, let them cool down before you weld to the side of it again. Fist ones look good but that heat build up is a killer without a pedal. Practice practice practice, it's only going to get easier.
Hmmm.............another twenty years and I might be someplace............hopefully not in a rocker drooling on my bibb.

I was running 32-34 amps on the stainless. Just flat stock running beads on top of it with 1/16" rod. I was wishing I had .040" rod. I have .023" stainless MIG wire but felt that would be too small. Here's a bad pic of the backside of the stainless, 25% of them had some sugaring.

Here's last nights first attempt at lap welding on 14 gauge cold roll, running 52-55 amp max.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:25 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Do you have Palsy? Have you been tested for Parkinson's? Have you seen a doctor lately?

Just kidding you of course...... You're doing "fine". You're still erratic in your feed technique and forward movement - but that gets better with practice.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 03-27-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Do you have Palsy? Have you been tested for Parkinson's? Have you seen a doctor lately?

Just kidding you of course...... You're doing "fine". You're still erratic in your feed technique and forward movement - but that gets better with practice.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
OTND - Old Timer Newbie Disease

The 14 ga was 3 different runs using different max amps, torch angles, and tungsten movement. This TIG stuff is real easy especially when you have LOFT!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:07 AM

If it was easy ---- the fat chicks could do it!

And if it was easy ---- it wouldn't be any fun to try to master!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:14 AM

BTW ---- I still think you're a bit focused on the "amps" ----- and when learning --- your natural tendency is to weld real slowly.... building too much heat. When you turn your heat down -- way down -- you can focus more on the hand coordination of moving and dabbing and oh crapping....

EEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAA