Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Introductions > Member/Project/Vehicle Introductions
User Name
Password

Old 07-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Or this girlie version -- with 54K original miles....

Get out the black vinyl dye and have it black top and black interior in a matter of one weekend....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Fire...US_Cars_Trucks
Old 07-05-2014, 06:44 PM

21K asking price...

Apparently these are not high priced desirable collector versions. LOL

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...e1404603765520
Old 07-05-2014, 07:04 PM

Lol ^ Classic 70's brown. I didn't post that one Greg, I saw it but thought that was still a "project" as it definitely needs new paint. Either that or new owner needs to grow and afro and buy some platform shoes and bell bottoms

61 Buick Lesabre Bubbletop (daily driver)......miles of smiles
Old 07-05-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluxford View Post
Lol ^ Classic 70's brown. I didn't post that one Greg, I saw it but thought that was still a "project" as it definitely needs new paint. Either that or new owner needs to grow and afro and buy some platform shoes and bell bottoms

Wait.... <rummaging around his closet> FOUND 'EM!!

I graduated HIGH SCHOOL in 1971...... we were by far the hippest hipsters around dude.... Well... except John Travolta.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:25 PM

By the way -- to the OP (original poster) -- my comment about these not being collectible.... I meant to say the 350 version.

The Formula 400 seems to be the hot ticket and sells for double or more....
Old 07-05-2014, 07:31 PM

This all sounds so familiar to me. Friend of mine is getting the "hot rod car itch" and had it set in his mind that he wants a TA, only he's leaning towards a later 70s model. In his world, he'd like to buy one for $7500, put another $7500 in it having a shop do all the work and have it look as nice and run and handle as good as my mid 80s Monte Carlo.

I went through it with him 6 ways from Sunday basically reiterating all of the good advice posted above...and BEGGING him not to buy 2 or 3 that he picked out that he swore were a great deal. I told him to not expect to drop those things off at my house and expect me to restore them for him. I'd help when I could but I've got my own stuff to work on.

He finally went and bought a brand new Duramax truck and is enjoying driving it around instead...thankfully.

My advice, buy the body already done and build the drivetrain you want. If it seems like it's a great deal on an older car, it probably isn't.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluxford View Post
Here's one done ready to go in the range you are talking of building a project (i.e. listed for $17,500, but could most likely get for a tad less)

no waiting, no working, get in and drive

http://www.haggleme.com/Vehicle/loca...ebird-400.aspx

I actually called that guy a few months ago. He's listed in Houston CL. He said he'd work the price a bit but I didn't get a good vibe from him so I stayed away. He does have the motor modified with a large cam as well, for some reason I still remember that.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Or this girlie version -- with 54K original miles....
Get out the black vinyl dye and have it black top and black interior in a matter of one weekend....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Fire...US_Cars_Trucks
I do like this girly one but it's way the hell out in PA, so checking it out.... The guy is asking 21K so let's say he goes 17, plus shipping + interior+top =2K, and still unsure of condition, it hasn't been restored only armor all'd.

Quote:
21K asking price...
Apparently these are not high priced desirable collector versions. LOL
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...e1404603765520
Both of those cars eat my budget just in purchase and I'm still uncertain about their underlying condition. Neither has been restored/rebuilt, just kept clean. The Afro version even states great for a garage queen. I intend to drive the car so I'm certain it'll need repairs as well. It also needs paint and interior (it's original so you know the stitching is going to give).
With the Silver Bird, I'll know what I have as I repair.

I don't think a collector would pay those starting prices knowing they're going to take the car apart anyways in a complete restoration. Although, when I look at the project "trans am with a twist", I can't believe how nice the starting point of that car was, so never mind, I obviously don't know what the hell I'm talking about.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBluey View Post
With the Silver Bird, I'll know what I have as I repair.
Now that statement is hilarious.

Seriously look at all the replies. Everyone has told you that your plan is a fail from the start.

Vince is the one guy who said he likes that rusty soup can but he is a talented fabricator with a shop.

Tell you what, since both you and Vince are in CA.

He's a builder you are a client.

PM him and see if he will get that car to the point you want for $10k.

https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...10645&page=171

Old 07-05-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
The interior of the SD Formula is absolutely hammered....
Seat Covers -- which is DYI -- 289 per seat for the fronts
Seat FOAM -- DYI -- 132 per seat
and we haven't replaced the door panels - or the rear seat or the carpet....

Now -- ALL the wubba (rubber) in that car is completely shot...There's two pieces -- door seal -- and upper seal -- the door seals are 229 for a pair - but the uppers are 140 EACH - so you've got almost $600 for the door seals and misc crap plus shipping etc... but you need a trunk weatherstrip.... and that's another $180

Leaves you 6K for running and dependability.... Lets say the motor just needs a tune up and oil and filters --- and maybe a carburetor rebuild... so that's going to be $750
Change filter and oil in tranny --- $150
Change rear end grease -- $50
Bushings and ball joints to make it be able to go down the highway..... and alignment -- $1250
Shocks -- which have to be shot given the rest of the cars condition... just slap on some Monroe's -- $250
Brakes checked and operable -- assume you'll need some parts or rotors turned - the fluid MUST be completely changed out etc -- $750

That leaves you maybe $2500 for stuff that nobody knew it needed.... like if the steering box is shot --- or the tie rods are toasted... or the tranny is puked or the motor is puking blue smoke after driving it 100 miles...

Doable.... yeah -- if you're lucky and find a good mechanic that is honest and is willing to work on the beater.

That's all stuff that MUST be done ----- and you haven't touched the exterior looks. Maaco might paint it silver again... so maybe you have enough for a quick spray job.

All in all said --- you have the cost of the car -- and 10K invested.... and you better pray to god it needs nothing else.
Greg, this is an Awesome breakdown and really helps me itemize/piece the required work involved plus cost. I'm writing all of these things down and believe it or not, even discussing it with my CinC (want to make sure I have her support). Really, Thank you. I actually think I can do some of those repairs myself. From the total invested this way, I would choose this over the other two ebay ones.
I think I'm starting to set my own top dollar of what I'm willing to pay for the Bird and/or walk.